Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How long do car insurance companies take to pay out?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

My van was stolen and burnt out about a month ago. Put in a claim straight away. Three weeks later I get an email asking to send the key etc and that a loss adjuster will be in touch for a telephone interview.

It all feels a bit vague and like they’re dragging their feet. I’ve fired off a few emails which have gone ignored, and tried calling a few times to speed up the process, only to be kept on hold for 30 minutes + before giving up.

Any advice? I’ve never had to deal with this before so don’t know the ropes. I can’t get another van until they’ve coughed up, although I’ve been looking for a temporary banger 😀

I paid for a year up front, so what happens about the time I’ve not been a risk but still insured? (since my van was stolen). Any way of getting that time added when my current cover runs out next month, or refunded? Is that why they’re taking so long?, because they’re banking on me not being able to get another vehicle until they pay out, and thus I’m not a risk to them until then…

Bloody nightmare 😡

jambalaya
    Free Member

Standard practice I am afraid, they will stall and drag things out as long as possible. Are you not entitled to a loan car ? You should get a refund based on unused coverage or they will transfer policy to new vehicle.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Fair enough, thought so.

No, no loan car in my policy. Good news on the unused cover though.

Thanks.

sbob
    Free Member

You should get a refund based on unused coverage or they will transfer policy to new vehicle.

Are you sure?
    Total loss normally ends the policy.

dannybgoode

The policy has responded to a loss so premium will be due in full.

binners

Insurance companies will take as long as they can get away with. The only way you’ll get any joy is to mither the life out of them. Phone them every day to see how your claim is progressing

jambalaya
    Free Member

Are you sure?
    Total loss normally ends the policy.

OK looks like I’m wrong sorry, I’ve only had claims (inc one big one) not a total loss.

Jason
    Free Member

I went through this a couple of years ago. Two cars stolen at the same time. I think both were settled in about 3-4 weeks. On my wife’s policy she had a hire car for a week or two, as soon as that went back we hassled the insurance for a payout – we had a few worrying days were we had to commit to buying a car for her, but if our car was found we would get that back as well. It all worked out in the end, and the insurance paid out before the car was found. The other car was my own car, although it was insured on my companies insurance policy, this was settled fairly quickly as well.

To be fair to both insurance companies they settled the car content part of the claim very quickly. Both cars had two child seats in, which we had to go and buy new for the hire cars. We got a cheque for these within a day or so from the insurance.

Hassle them daily, and when they agree to settle don’t accept their first offer.

cliffyc
    Free Member

FWIW,I’m with LV and find them super efficient to deal with. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How long do car insurance companies take to pay out?’ is closed to new replies.