Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How long do aluminium frames last?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I currently have a fairly heavy steel frame on my commuter, and I’m weighing up the options on swapping it for an aluminium frame and carbon forks. I’d lose around 1.5kg, which is amazing, but I’m a poor student so longevity is a factor. How long do people think it will last? I’m doing around 100 miles a week, all on road. I’m looking at the Planet X London Road, and I can’t afford a carbon frame.

nickc

if you’re just going to commute on it, Forever.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My road bike is now 12 years old. So forever (touch wood) is likely.

But aluminium dents easier, I prefer my steel commute because it can be leant agaisnt railings without worrying about it, and it shrugs off things like cable rub, bags, straps etc, whereas aluminum wears away surprisingly quickly. Having said that I did manage to dent to top tube dropping it on the bike stand!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

How long do aluminium frames last?

I’m a poor student so longevity is a factor

Longer than you’ll be a poor student.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Might lighter wheels be cheaper than a new frame?

After things like bamboo and other kinds of wood, steel has the smallest carbon footprint, then it goes alu and then carbon fibre, and then titanium.

According to Cycling Plus.

TimothyD
    Free Member

If it’s not hilly terrain you’re riding I’d go for lighter wheels, otherwise you’ll definitely notice the reduction in weight.

mattbee

My 1992 Klein Fervour is still used and shows no sign of failing.
    Mind you, given the nature of alu breakages being more of the ‘snap’ than ‘bend’ variety, who knows?

kcal

1998 M2. still fine, only slight bubbles of oxidisation round bottle boss mounts and on frame generally.

Marin
    Free Member

Marin aluminium frame now used as fully rigid town bike and winter night ride hacker. Was my only mountain bike for about 4 years. Its been well abused and is fine still.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How long do aluminium frames last?’ is closed to new replies.