Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long did your Nukeproof headset last?
  • Mugboo

I know it’s been a crappy summer but mine needs new bearings after 6 months use (once a week) 🙁

gravity-slave
    Free Member

About 3 months of riding 2-3 times a week. Replaced lower cup with a Hope mix and match which seems much better, still good 6 months later.

Mugboo

Great idea, thanks for that 🙂

Mugboo

To save me getting it wrong, what size am I ordering… We get a good Hope discount as Singletraction Trailbuilders but it’s easy to get it wrong because I don’t just check a box. Don’t want to order the wrong thing.

Cheers Jason

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What size head tube and what steerer forks?

Mugboo

D’oh!

It’s a Nukeproof Mega with standard steerer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont forget the crown race!
    (Assuming the bearings are different from Hope’s ones)

footflaps

Might me worth buying some decent grease eg Rock N Roll Super Web Grease, lasts much longer.

ahwiles
    Free Member

How long did your Nukeproof headset last?

about 5mins – they’re crap.

it’s not difficult to see why, they’re pitifully sealed/baffled.

Mugboo

I’ve bought some Cane Creek bearings to put me on but I like the Hope idea. Nukeproof just has a very simple plastic washer to seal the bearing.

Foot flaps, are you talking about regreasing the actual bearings or protecting them?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mega/Standard forks – you want a 44mm headset with 1 1/8″ steerer.

The only other confusion is internal or external cup.

I had an external cup Nukeproof when I ran 150mm forks, but went to 170mm Lyriks and it was too slack for me so went for an internal lower cup – the Hope ‘B’:

I think Hope can supply an external cup 44 by 1 1/8″ but it’s not listed on there.

scaled
    Free Member

Hmm just got off the phone to where i got my Mega from and apparently 4 months (again, riding once a week, twice if i’m VERY lucky) for rear hub bearings is normal wear and tear on a generator hub…

Mugboo

160 forks so external cup. Thankyou for the advice.

And good luck with those hubs. This is why I like Hope products, they haven’t given me any trouble so far 🙂

RustyMac

Hope External cup headset for 44mm head tube is the “H” cup, this normally comes with a 1.5 crown race so you may also need to order a 1.5 -> 11/8 reducer crown race but you will be set if you ever change your forks for tapered ones.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

For balance, my NP headset is running smoothly after around 2 1/2 years of use in some pretty horrid conditions. Quite impressed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long did your Nukeproof headset last?’ is closed to new replies.