• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by euain.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How long can you keep it up..
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Ahem, not that.
    What age can you see yourself having to stop racing down that singletrack? I would love to be a 70 odd yr old bloke still having fun on the trails but in reality that’s probably not going to happen, anybody in there 60s on here?

scaredypants

I’m 49 and fitter than when I was 39 (or 29)

I don’t suppose healing is very fast when you’re 70, and “racing down” is surely just relative to your reflexes and power so, yeah, I hope to still be at it. Just carefully.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Good to hear. 40 this year and I found myself thinking how many years can I actually push it for. Feeling pretty fit at the moment but that healing power must be fading.

Might wait for Steve peat to give the signal.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

my dad is 59 and we did Dalby in 2:16 last year, the year before (when i was 31ish) he had to wait for me, a lot, last year (2013) we we also did Cut Gate Loop, Jacobs Ladder Loop, forwards and reversed, plus lots and lots of Tuesday night rides,

he sometimes posts on here as bighendo

he was into his 40s when i got into biking at 17ish and my brother even younger, he drove us all over on a weekend visiting random bike shops (and the odd garden centre) and doing routes with MBR maps laminated and a compass, Peaks, Yorkshire etc, none of this GPS malarky, lost, proper lost we got, in the dark, in the rain, in the hail, at 6/7am on a Sunday morning, loved it we did, we still do

he also has a penchant of doing something his own way,

this is my dad, and he is proper awesome 🙂

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/heckler-26-now-29er-894136.html

darrenspink
    Free Member

Spot on, cheers for that post.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Well ‘Dibbs’ of this very forum still thrashes around on the Quantocks and he’s almost 100 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My parents are 63 and doing LeJoG this year.

Until they retired 6 years ago, they commuted 10 miles a day.

They got bored last weekend so got the train from Exeter to Bristol and then cycled home.

I hope I’ll be as fit as them when I’m older.

Andy-R

anybody in there 60s on here?

Yes, me.

tomhoward

I’m off to whistler with my 53 yo step dad in August…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I keep trying to persuade my dad to do strathpuffer with me.

63 and I can tell he is tempted!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I took up mountain biking when I was 44, my 58 yr old neighbour used to kick my butt on our normal XC rides. He retired from anything too downhill in his early 60’s after breaking his collar bone skiing. I would say you can keep your fitness and stamina but the bones do get more brittle and general recovery from injury takes longer so that affects you mentally. I’m 51 and was off the bike for 9 months last year following knee injury but I’m working on fitness and plan to be riding in Chamonix and Verbier this summer. Simon at Nirvana Cycles is into his 50’s and is still leading the shop free-rides.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I sold a customer his first ever MTB at the age of 65 when he retired.
    He then rode six days a week for the following there years-I then left that shop, so have no idea if he’s still riding, but assume he is.
    This was around six years ago & he was riding unto 30 miles a day, all off road & all over the UK.

warns74
    Free Member

Regularly ride with a good friend who has just turned 60. Retired now he often rides the welsh trail centers and came to BPW with us a few weeks ago, rides 60+ mile sportives several times a year. He is 20 years my senior, fitter than me, faster than me on the climbs, but takes it a bit easier on the downs these days, which gives me a chance to catch up!

stevied
    Free Member

@dirtyrider: HeyHeyHendo is 59? He doesn’t look a day over 61 😉 Send him my regards

I’d like to think I’ll still be getting up the hills into my 60’s but thinking they may have half decent power assisted bikes by then so who knows how long you could go in if they come about

darrenspink
    Free Member

This is great, just had a quick search about and lots of videos and thread about people ‘giving it some’ in their 60’s and even 70’s. Hope they have some magical bone and muscle fixing device by the time im that age.

Trimix
    Free Member

70 + no problem. I intend to keep going till I get lost due to dementia, not due to fitness.

I know a chap who runs 10k’s in under 50 mins and he is 70 something, that faster than Ive ever done. Id certainly expect to be riding a bike at his age.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As we age we lose our strength and speed, our endurance we can maintain.

euain

My dad’s did Strathpuffer this year – he’s 63 or something like that (can’t quite remember but it’s a few years since we had his 60th party).

Last year we managed to get to the Nevis downhill tracks, Kirroughtree and a few other Stanes.

I guess just keep riding as long as you enjoy it – I can’t see him stopping in the near future!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How long can you keep it up..’ is closed to new replies.