• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How long between bleeding??
  • gizzardman
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of Formula K24’s for a while now and they seem to need a re-bleed every 2 months?? They’ve recently been back to the distributors (Propel) for a re-bleed but now the lever almost reaches the grip suggesting air’s got into the system?

Surely a re-bleed every 2 months isn’t acceptable?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Seems excessive to me, Ive a pair of J7’s for over two years without having to rebleed them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Seems excessive to me as well. Where is the air getting in? Fluid level in the reservoir too low\? Failed master cylinder seal?

seven
    Free Member

Seems like a leak to me as myK18’s have been running fine for the past year with no need for a bleed

gizzardman
    Free Member

I’ve had problems with them since pretty much day one. Spoke to Propel about it and they keep saying that there’s nothing wrong them apart from they’ve not been bled correctly, so they did it. They felt great for a couple of months but now the lever has loads of travel before the brakes bite.
    Think i need to start pushing/demanding action now.

devs
    Free Member

28 day cycle innit? IGMC

gizzardman
    Free Member

Seven; Does your lever travel increase over time on your K18’s?

RicB

K24s do have a reputation for lever travel changing as the pads wear. Mine used to drive me bad because of this.

Now I leave the bike stored with the levers tied to the bars i.e. ‘on’ with some old rucksack straps. This forces the caliper pistons to ‘set’ themselves in their seals a little closer to the rotor, preventing your problem. Now the brakes feel firm all the time.

Plus, if you leave the levers zip tied overnight and in the morning the wheel can be moved you know there’s a leak somewhere – I spotted a leaky piston seal this way

try it – nothing to lose!

RicB

Drive me mad.

ahem

RicB

Oh – and pump the lever 10-20 times before zipping it to the bars, to force the pistons out a little.

Think that’s it now!

CountZero

I’ve got Juicy 7’s, Hope M4’s and M4 Monos, and I honestly can’t remember when I bled any of them. Ithink the most recent was around two years ago, and still work perfectly.

seven
    Free Member

Gizz, I find that the brakes sometimes need a bit of pumping to get them back to proper braking. But also they travel a bit more before they bite fully. This is just better modulation imo but did take me a bit of getting use to after moving from hopes.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    RicB, I’ve sent you a PM on MTBR! I’ll try the methods tonight befor i give up!

nickc

Pad wear?

jonb
    Free Member

Shimano deore, never needed bleeding in the last 4 years

jojoA1
    Free Member

devs – Member
    28 day cycle innit?

Oi, you pinched my line! 👿

Smee
    Free Member

Be careful of keeping them in the same place…

Once one gets bled the others will all want to do the same.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Nickc: Pad wear’s fine, about 80%

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

> devs – Member
    > 28 day cycle innit?

Oi, you pinched my line!

Yeah – me too. Are we getting too predictable?

devs
    Free Member

It was asking for it really though wasn’t it?

RicB

gizzardman – have replied on mtbr.

Let me know if you get it sorted. I don’t mind having a look at them if you’re anywhere near Leeds

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How long between bleeding??’ is closed to new replies.