Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How long before I know?
  • yoshimi

After quitting smoking how long before you know you’ve done it for good?

Just under 3 weeks now and I’m finding it a bit too easy, I keep expecting a strong craving to start but it hasn’t yet – admittedly I was at the stage when I knew I really wanted to quit and felt ready to do so.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like this
    http://quitsmokingtimeline.com/

I probably took 6 months to have the confidence to put myself in “smoking” situations and not concentrate on not wanting a smoke. But Did manage to go cold turkey from 15-30 a day to 0. over 10 years ago now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My bet is you get a new frame before you have a fag 😉
    Well done you

You know when you are tempted and you decline or you get drunk and smoke and then are annoyed the next day and dont want to buy some IME.

Or you smoke one and it is nothing like you remember as there is no craving to satisfy and you just cough a lot.

wwaswas

“how long before you know you’ve done it for good?”

If you’re still breathing then I’d treat it as ‘I’m still giving up’.

I stopped 17 years ago and still sometimes feel like a cigarette.

woody2000

^^^this, sadly.

I stopped years ago, but every now and then I still get the urge. I think it’s just like being a “recovering alcoholic”, you’re always a smoker who just happens to not be currently smoking. Bet that’s cheered you up! 🙂

Well done and keep it up!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t think you ever lose the urge to have a smoke – certain situations always get me – having a cold beer outdoors in the Summer – having that first coffee of the day at work – having just finished a lovely meal. I think your will to resist becomes stronger, that’s all.

singletracked
    Free Member

When you’ve reached a month, buy a pack and smoke them, just to show yourself how you can take or leave it if you please.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think if you could have a cig and then not start smoking again you’re probably good. A mate of mine gave up and occasionally (i.e. once or twice a year) has a cig or a cigar but that’s it. Other friends won’t go near them in case it pushes them back off the wagon.

Stoner
    Free Member

really?

Ive got to disagree.
    Ive completely forgotten about the urge to smoke.

I might have alzheimers though 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

First stage is for it not to be a concious thought, after that, as above, it’s always there, diminishes with time though so gets easier to resist urges.

yoshimi

I like that chart Stoner, gives me something tangible to work with

I managed to quit herbals after many many years about 6 months ago and knew within a month that I’d never crave it again (apart from this thought at the back of my mind that camping will never be quite as good again).

I’m pretty please with myself for being completely smoke free – three main things from the last 3 weeks
    I’m coughing up a lot of brown crap (a lot!)
    The people I see smoking outside pubs look haggard
    I can’t remember the last time I spent money

Johnnie – I’m riding the 5 more than any other bike I’ve owned and can’t think of anything else I’d rather have……..it been a year – clearly something somewhere is wrong with me! 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I was sat next to a bloke today at a site induction who had just had a fag, that awful smell is enough deterrent to crush any tab cravings that may start to creep back.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ive completely forgotten about the urge to smoke.

I dunno tbh; I think we all process the “urge” differently and call it different things. I might see someone sparking up and think, “Oh, a ciggie, I remember how much I used to like one with a beer, but I don’t feel the need anymore.”

I dunno if that’s an urge, or a memory, or what…but whatever it is, as long as you don’t actually spark up, it’s all good.

yunki
    Free Member

Just under 3 weeks now and I’m finding it a bit too easy, I keep expecting a strong craving to start but it hasn’t yet – admittedly I was at the stage when I knew I really wanted to quit and felt ready to do so.

it was the same for me, and I’ve smoked daily since before adolescence.. I even started to suspect that the whole nicotine addiction thing was an utter con..

anyhow, I’d echo the sentiments above about always having to keep your guard up a bit..

6 months was an easy time to think ‘oh just one won’t hurt’ and there are occasionally still certain triggers now, people, situations..

well done you though, the hardest part is well and truly over

teasel
    Free Member

I quit in 2000 and started four and a half years later, smoked for a further five and a half years (I think) and then quit again. Really don’t miss it and will never reach for another ciggie/cigar/pipe.

I do cane the odd doob, though…

binners

well done for not doing so!

Stoner
    Free Member

Really don’t miss it and will never reach for another ciggie/cigar/pipe.

When I get to 70 Im taking up pipe smoking again.

As long as its not classed as a Class A drug with a 20yr prison sentence attached!

bazwadah
    Free Member

I’m pretty please with myself for being completely smoke free

So you should be yoshimi (..and anyone that has managed to quit). Big respect to anyone breaking the spell. From watching colleagues trying to quit and failing several times its clearly not an easy thing for most. I suppose putting the money you would have spent on fags into a jar (and then spending on a gold plated torque wrench 🙂 ) would help against getting complacent.

mogrim

Seem to remember 3 weeks is a bit of a danger point, you think you’ve quit but then have a drink and “I’ll just have the one”…

Like teasel I stopped back in 2000, but managed to stay off them. But even now, after all that time, I still get the odd urge every now and then for a smoke. Not hard to resist, though!

Coyote
    Free Member

3 – 6 weeks is the first major tipping point IME. Followed by 3 months. 12 months means you have been through most smoking situations without a fag. I reckon on 2 years to be honest. After that it should be plain sailing.

I stopped in Feb 2005 and do not get urges to smoke at all. Used to get the occasional nostalgic twang but no more.

BigJohn

Its when you go from describing yourself as “I’ve given up smoking” to “I don’t smoke”. About a year I’d say.

yoshimi

Seem to remember 3 weeks is a bit of a danger point

Yeah, I am getting a bit too confident – need to keep it in check!

Went out on Saturday night, much beer was drank and finished the night with a kebab – I didn’t feel the urge as such to smoke but did feel that something was missing – weird to say but almost like I’m a bit more boring 😐

I think one thing in my favour is that I’m the only one in our group of friend who has ever smoked – which is odd as where I grew up it was the non-smokers that were the odd ones out

Only my wife (and you guys) know that I’ve quit – I purposely didn’t tell any of our friends, just so that it wasn’t an issue/talking point – I’m looking forward to the point when someone notices and I can say, yeah, quit ages ago 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

Junkyard – Big Hitter

Or you smoke one and it is nothing like you remember as there is no craving to satisfy and you just cough a lot.

Def’this one. The thought of having a cig makes me want to barf nowadays.

OP – don’t worry that it’s been too easy, some people can just walk away from it like you have. Just be glad you are one of em. My Dad in law is on his umpteenth attepmt at stopping and it’s driving him up the wall.

FWIW, I found it easy til I had a pint in my hand.

ads678

The key bit is actually wanting to stop. If you really know you want to then you’ll do it. far too many people try quitting because that’s what they should do rather than actually wanting to.

I had stopped for about 18 months and had one at a stag do, i managed 2 drags and felt sick, i couldn’t believe how disgusting it was. i have never had an ‘urge’ since. That was about 3 years ago and i had smoked for about 15 years before that.

singletracked
    Free Member

Its when you go from describing yourself as “I’ve given up smoking” to “I don’t smoke”. About a year I’d say.

and when people ask “How long have you stopped for?”
    you say smugly “For ever”

wukfit
    Free Member

I woke up one morning and realised I didn’t actually need to smoke, even though I had been for 14 years, so stopped
    The next day I was drinking and hanging out with friends that smoked and it didn’t bother me,
    The way I see it it was my time to stop
    It was weird at first sat at home watching telly, kept feeling like I should go stand outside for a bit

toys19
    Free Member

I know I have “given up” because I can have a few puffs once every couple of months when I’m deadly pissed, and I find it lush for the first puff, and disgusting by the third one. I have no urge to buy or smoke any more until another couple of months have passed.

Mooly
    Free Member

It sounds like your there. Its definitely harder for some people than others
    I gave up 4/ 5 years ago and like you was totally ready to do so. I think if you know that you have smoked your last then that is half the battle.
    But as others have said within the first year you may still get the urge. I did, had a puff and could `t believe how disgusting it tasted. Put me off and just reaffirmed exactly how ready I was to kick it.
    Well done.

willard

I’m over a year into the new, healthier, smoke-free me and the only time I have felt even remotely like one was out at Bastion. Then it was purely missing the social part of the thing.

I hate smoking with a passion. The smell is vile and makes me feel ill and I am soooooo glad I quit. I got a lot of fitness back and feel a load better for stopping.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How long before I know?’ is closed to new replies.