Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How long before Ebola virus hits the western world/UK ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Cos it will at some point, already a suspected case in Europe…

Or are you confident the WHO will sort it out ? (not The who the band)

Its coming your way and their aint nothing to stop it…

Drac

Is it the 90’s again?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is it the 90’s again?

Sadly, no.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26835233

…although the story is dated 1st April, so might just be a prank.

On a side note.

I don’t know why, but I have this image of the OP pulling these hot button topics out of a black velvet bag, like they do for the draw for the FA Cup.

He shuts his eyes, has a rummage around, pull out a slip of paper to reveal today’s topic will be….

The Ebola Virus.

fasthaggis

It loves to nest in old cardigans.
    Make a fire pit and burn all your old clothes,it’s the only way to be sure.

scc999

Nothing to stop it?
    In the unlikely event of an actual outbreak then a travel ban would suffice.
    It’s too effective at killing its host. So, bad news for anyone infected but good news for the rest of us as without air travel infected people aren’t able to travel far before they die.

More likely causes of death to wrry about IMO.

Si

slowoldman

I’m steering clear of fruitbat burgers for the time being.

footflaps

In the unlikely event of an actual outbreak then a travel ban would suffice.
    It’s too effective at killing its host. So, bad news for anyone infected but good news for the rest of us as without air travel infected people aren’t able to travel far before they die.

This. Not a real threat to the West.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Cos it will at some point

“has done already, a number of times” was my understanding

as mentioned, bit too effective at killing the host toot sweet to spread far and wide

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Listen to the STW doomster. Ebola is not a threat to us. A disease with such a high mortality rate will burn itself out because it will kill all its hosts before they can spread it further.

Harry_the_Spider

Zombie Apocalypse!

Would Ebola victims be fast or old skool slow zombies?

shermer75
    Free Member

Pros-

1) Long(ish) incubation period (two days to three weeks)
    2) Also infectious for up to seven weeks after (if!) patient recovered

Cons-

1) High mortality rate (average to date 68%)
    2) Spread through contact with bodily fluids.

I think the important point is that it’s not an airborne disease. It’s pretty nasty, but could be contained with strict hygiene practice.

pondo

Cheery wikipedia food for thought 🙂 –

“The mean incubation period, best calculated currently for EVD outbreaks due to EBOV infection, is 12.7 days (standard deviation = 4.3 days), but can be as long as 25 days….”

“The virus has been confirmed to be transmitted through body fluids. Transmission through oral exposure and through conjunctiva exposure is likely[28] and has been confirmed in non-human primates.[29] Filoviruses are not naturally transmitted by aerosol. They are, however, highly infectious as breathable 0.8–1.2 micrometre droplets in laboratory conditions…”

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One day, Ebola will go airbourne. I believe airbourne transmission routes have been demonstrated in pigs and monkeys in the lab.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Pandemic influenza is more of a concern.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How long before Ebola virus hits the western world/UK ?’ is closed to new replies.