• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jon756-spam.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How Long after surgery till I can ride ?
  • robbieh
    Free Member

Had an inguinal hernia repair yesterday and they said nothing strenuous for six weeks, I.e. lifting but has anyone had similar and got riding sooner? Bearing in mind I,m an old fart of 62 and I know I should be carefull but I,m usually out mtb,ing twice a week and am a posty on foot walking some 14 Mls, a day on average so I reckon I not too unfit. But now I,m going to lose fitness as I,m laid up for a bit. Be glad to hear from anyone whose been through this.
    Cheers
    Rob.

backinireland
    Free Member

bit sooner on a turbo
    they suggested road better than mtb

righog
    Free Member

Interested to see the answers. I had a Hernia op on Monday. already bored, they said six weeks, I was hoping to at least to get on the turbo after 2 weeks.

robbieh
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I,ll see if I can borrow a turbo as I don,t have one. Hope you heal well Righog.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Just had a hernia op last thurdsay. Dying to get back out on the bike but i think it’ll be a few weeks yet. i know its only been a week but im still sore walking etc..would like to know how other peeps are getting on with there recovery?

StirlingCrispin

Had a double hernia repair (open) about 3yrs ago.

The surgeon’s assistant agreed that after two weeks a gentle bimble to work on the bike was reasonable as long as I stopped if it hurt – it’s only two miles on a very quiet road.
    I used the Brompton as it has a low step-over. I don’t have a car (wifey uses hers for work) and so it’s a bike or Hobson’s choice.
    Built it from there – did 30 miles after 3 1/2 weeks but this was probably too much. It really ached for the last 20 miles!

mrelectric

I had my gall bladder out few years ago. Even with keyhole surgery, it was 2 weeks to get the 17 metal staples out. 4 weeks+ to get on a bike and I’d lost some muscle tone, especially in the 1-pack area.
    Best of luck in getting about ASAP.

winterfold
    Free Member

Major intestinal surgery (39 staples) on May 3rd last year.

http://app.strava.com/athlete/calendar/2012#May

listen to their advice, then find your own path – gradually 🙂

take care

drofluf
    Free Member

Had mine done a year ago went back to the surgeon after a month and his first question was “did you ride here?” – he was also a cyclist.

But at the end of the day it will depend on the exact nature of the surgery and how quickly you heal. Follow the doctor’s advice

robbieh
    Free Member

Cheers for the advise guys. Seeing my dr. Monday so will have a better idea then. Feeling a bit sore today but its only day 2 and it was open surgery . Walking around a bit which I.m supposed to do but it did,nt help going in the garage and looking at my bike. 😀

turbo1397
    Free Member

Im 7 days in now and couldnt even look at my bike.. open surgery as well. walking has become easier, i find sitting down more painfull than anything else.

robbieh
    Free Member

How you guys doing now? Just thought I,d find out if like me you still feel sore? I was hoping to feel better than this by now. Rode my bike up and down the road but it did,nt feel great so it,ll be a while yet I think.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had my hernia op quite a few years ago, but I’m sure the surgeon said no cycling for a couple of weeks but I’d know if I felt up to it.

DanW
    Free Member

What do you gain by rushing things?

What do you stand to lose by rushing?

6 weeks isn’t long, surely it is best to take medical advice and be patient to reduce the risk of future complications/ pain??? Different people will respond to surgery differently so I certainly wouldn’t be looking for answers on STW!

djflexure

Everybody is different but I have had people windsurfing 4 days after, playing top class rugby in 3-4 weeks. Much of this is keyhole so they did not have to contend with discomfort from the scar. Nevertheless I would have thought a couple of weeks and see how you feel.

ononeorange

2 weeks in now from keyhole abdominal surgery. Am raring to get on the bike (bought a new one while I was bored at home as you do!) but was told a blanket 6 weeks.

Hmmmm. Might try asking again.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I managed to do 8 miles on the road bike yesterday and that was about 3 1/2wks after my op. nothing too strenuous and no hills and all seated, just spinning out the legs..felt ok but knew when enough was enough! maybe try 9 or 10 miles next week.. 🙂

chief9000
    Free Member

It will depend on the surgery type that you have had. You can either be opened up or you can have it done laproscopically.

I was snow boarding in 2 weeks after a laprascopic repair.

I noticed that someone said they had open surgery for this type of thing. If anyone else has the misfortune of needing this type of surgery insist on a laprascopic repair. They are more reliable and recovery is faster. Open surgery for this is now a bit dated.

Take it easy, hope you get up and running soon

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How Long after surgery till I can ride ?’ is closed to new replies.