• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tonyd.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How long after an interview would you wait before contacting them?
  • adviceplease
    Free Member

Had an interview over a week ago and said I would not be able to be contacted at the beginning of this week.

I thought the interview went really well and was expecting an offer email when I could access my email this morning. But nothing. Would you ring up and ask for feedback or wait a few more days?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another week at least.

hels
    Free Member

Sorry buddy – in my experience, on both sides of the table, the successful candidate gets a call on the day of the interview, or first thing the next morning, at least a message to call them ASAP when you are available.

They always say “within the next week” in case No 1 choice knocks back the offer, then send a letter to the other candidates.

When you get the letter, call them and ask for interview feedback.

BoardinBob

Sorry buddy – in my experience, on both sides of the table, the successful candidate gets a call on the day of the interview, or first thing the next morning

You’ve been extremely lucky.

In my experience it’s a hellish process and employers drag their heels for far too long.

VanHalen

they might have a bunch of other candidates to interview

even if we like someone we interview the other people booked in because you never know.

globalti
    Free Member

I would ring them now and ask them nicely but firmly. Why should they hold you in suspense?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just drop them a note saying you enjoyed the meeting/interview very much and are now back online, is there any news ?

MoreCashThanDash

If it’s through the new civil service system, the successful candidate will get a vague phonecall one month later, followed by an equally vague email a month after that.

Go me! 😐

mega
    Free Member

They might be waiting to see who is keenist……if you don’t ask, you don’t get!

Get on the phone and good luck!

Flaperon

I can’t see how you could lose by giving them a call. If they’ve decided to employ you, they’re not going to change their minds on the basis of a question, and if not, well, you’ll know straight away.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, a polite call to them would do no harm IMO.

GregMay
    Free Member

Depends on where you interview – in my experience in the academic world it can be as short as 12 hours, to as long as a week. Both times I was first offer on the job.

tomd
    Free Member

Sorry buddy – in my experience, on both sides of the table, the successful candidate gets a call on the day of the interview, or first thing the next morning, at least a message to call them ASAP when you are available.

Not my experience either being interviewed or interviewing. I’d say give it another week – sometimes the company has things to go through before making a formal offer, or there may be other candidates coming in for interviews after you.

unknown
    Free Member

Sorry hels, that sort of speed is fairly unusual in my experience as well, and I’ve interviewed and hired hundreds of people. There’s little to be gained from contacting them, but little to lose either, so I’d give them a call now if you really want to.

hels
    Free Member

Not on my patrol. And every job I have been offered has been a call the day of the interview, on the drive home a couple of times.

Good practice is to interview everyone on the same day, and tell all the candidates if for some reason that isn’t happening, rather than leave people hanging.

I am clearly far too organised and efficient (not an HR person, to be clear) !

tonyd

A phone call or email wouldn’t hurt.

I think it depends very much what kind of company you’re talking to, the role, and how many applicants they have. They should have given you an idea on when they’ll contact you (or you should have asked) but it’s very possible they’re still interviewing or trying to jump through some internal hoops.

I work for a large corporation and it takes us months to hire anyone, even if all the approvals are in place. It’s very frustrating, but even more so for the person waiting for the offer/contract/start date. The key for us is to keep communicating with the new hire.

Good luck.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How long after an interview would you wait before contacting them?’ is closed to new replies.