Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How likely will I get caught if I bike into a Wales Rally stage?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I haven’t been to spectate at a Welsh rally stage for decades. Looking at this year’s route plan, most stages have two or three designated spectating points, with one or two access roads in and all others blocked off.

I’ve got a cheeky route in mind for one of the stages, which is on bridleway into the forest. It doesn’t go near any road blocks. Do you think I’ll be able to cycle my way in and quietly spectate without hassle?

trailwagger
    Free Member

If your on a public right of way, then I would say “yes”

wwaswas

If you get spotted by a marshal/course car they may cancel a stage. Your choice, though.

RobinL

I would have thought as long as you remain off the stage while riding in and if you arrive at a marshaled junction, ensure the marshals know you are there and are not going to ride on the stage, then why not.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve never been to a rally. Do you normally have to pay to be at one of the spectator points? Is that why you’re asking? Otherwise it seems fine..

wwaswas

Spectators are only allowed in specific, marshalled, areas now following a lot of deaths on unregulated stages.

shermer75
    Free Member

I kinda thought the OP meant finding his way to one of the spectator points..

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Mountain bikes aren’t officially allowed on the stages. So it would mean riding in (on a bridleway) and spectating in a non-designated part of the stage.

simondbarnes

If you get spotted by a marshal/course car they may cancel a stage. Your choice, though.

This

tomhoward

I imagine you’ll find a Marshall wandering up and down the bridleway looking to stop you, and others, doing exactly that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How likely will I get caught if I bike into a Wales Rally stage?

Very likely, I mean Have you seen the speed of those bloody things!

bedmaker

I’ve done exactly as you describe on our local Snowman rally for years.

The days of doing it are numbered though. The days of Rallying in it’s current state are numbered too I guess.

Litigation culture will kill it, along with so many other fun things.

Marshalls are much more likely to stop the stage at the drop of a hat for this sort of thing now.

Dickyboy

Hmm interesting proposition, I imagine it will depend on the marshalls and many other people have spotted the cheeky route in, 100% you will be stopped from going on the actual course but may well be allowed to view. Watched rally Corsica a couple of times – “you can watch from that vantage point but you must stand in case you need to move quickly”

mattsccm
    Free Member

As a RoW its fair game unless closed for the event and any marshal telling you otherwise should be politely told this. The second you step off it however you are naughty as the forests will b e closed wi.th the owners consent. I would assume that they have this covered mind you.

milky1980
    Free Member

The Wales rally organisers are very hot on stopping this kind of thing after a few accidents happened, the one of. The Clarke rally in Scotland especially.

I’ve personally done it years ago but wouldn’t now, rally’s days are numbered due to the issues with controlling access to open forestry and any issues from rogues spectators will accelerate it’s demise. You’ll see more on TV anyway.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

As a RoW its fair game unless closed for the event and any marshal telling you otherwise should be politely told this.

Leaving you with a glowing sense of smugness at sticking it to the marshall, but no cars to watch as they’ll have stopped the stage.

chrisyork

We go spectating at the dalby one, never ridden in but have walked in on unmarked paths before and got to the stage then just past the Marshall And walked upto the spectator area, you see quite a few people just appearing on the stage at various points

redmex
    Free Member

malcy1980 get his name right it is Jim Clark OBE the rally down in Berwickshire was to remember him when he stayed around Duns
    Bronze statue of him in Kilmany Fife not far from the Tay brig if anyone interested

plecostomus
    Free Member

I walk or ride in to the stages by me clocaenog aber hirnant every year no issues ever find a nice spot above the fire road up a bank and all is good

I’ll be going to the gwydir stage this Sunday.

The bike trails are closed this Sunday.

timber

From what I remember, they charge at the main forest entrances that they advertise, marshals are at other nearby entrances to the woods, but most woods have many ways in and have walked in from various routes. The marshals won’t necessarily be local, so could bluff through it with local trail knowledge.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How likely will I get caught if I bike into a Wales Rally stage?’ is closed to new replies.