Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • How light is your 29er?
  • mashiehood
    Free Member

Show me you weight weenie 29er. Interested to see how light people have managed to get their bikes

njee20
    Free Member

Heavy frame, but 19.2lbs.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

again, quite a heavy frame, with tubes

simondbarnes

28lb. It was 30lb out of the box but I changed the wheels before riding it 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/opKYFM]Genesis High Latitude in the Welsh hills.[/url] by simondbarnes, on Flickr

damascus
    Free Member

My xl full suss 29er 3×10 is 30lbs with full xt, hope, revs, tubeless, nobby nics, no dropper etc

My xl hardtail 3×10 is 27lbs with full xt, hope, tubeless, fox ctd evolution 120mm, nobby nics, no dropper etc.

Both bikes have some nice bits but no carbon or ti bolts.

I could shave a pound if I went 1×10 but no idea how you get to sub 20lbs without spending a fortune

Kryton57

25.63lbs and could easily be less.

wiiija
    Free Member

No pictures to hand, but 20.5lbs, rigid and 1×10 though, BUT apart from the Niner forks there is nothing ridiculously overpriced on it, just well chosen parts….and maybe some slightly useless furious fred tyres.

I’m a “recovering” weight weenie, I used to spend fortunes making my bikes as light as possible with stupidly overpriced parts from tune, extralite etc, compromising comfort and ride quality sometimes, these days I’m happy as long its around 20lbs and I haven’t had to re-mortgage to afford it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no idea how you get to sub 20lbs without spending a fortune

you don’t

DanW
    Free Member

8.58 real Feedback Sports hanging scale, non-STW, kilograms as it stands in Winter, 8.32kg with Ralphs. All good, durable parts around the 256sl Chinese frame and SIDs. Incidently, 29er forks are a killer for a weight weenie 🙄 Will get pics as soon as my bloomin’ chest infection clears up! 👿

njee20
    Free Member

No MoCo damper in my SIDs – saves 150g! Do that on a World Cup SID and they’d be quite light!

welshfarmer

My Kinesis FF29 with spec below

total in cluding pedals = 11.37 kgs or 25.02 lbs

All weights in grams as measured on accurate scales during build up.

Frame (Large) 1999
    Forks (RS Reba poploc) 1710
    Spacers (carbon) 5
    Front wheel (Crossmax SLR) 750
    Rear wheel (Crossmax SLR) 950
    front tyre (Conti Mountain king Protection) 720
    rear tyre (Maxxis Ikon EXO) 670
    front disc (Quaxar 180) 93
    rear disc (Quaxar 160) 69
    brake bolts 25
    bars (Mt Zoom Carbon 740) 164
    stem (KCNC) 90
    rear shifter (X0) 130
    front shifter ((XO) 130
    front mech (XT) 155
    rear mech (X0) 230
    cables (Blacksneik) 40
    chainset (XT 2×10 24/38) 750
    BB (XT ext) 91
    headset (??) 116
    chain (SRAM 1071) 240
    cassette (XT 11-36) 338
    pedals (XTR spd) 306
    seatpost (RS Reverb) 600
    saddle (Fabric Scoop) 258
    grips (ESI chunkys) 60
    front brakes (XT) 300
    rear brakes (XT) 300
    Sealant (Stans) 80
    seat clamp (KCNC) 5

medoramas
    Free Member

Mine is quite hefty beast. 28.6lbs with these heavy, winter tyres (Purg and Butcher).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

29er forks are a killer for a weight weenie

Lauf?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I reckon a bit heavier than njee20’s, but not much, dont have any accurate scales.

njee20
    Free Member

German:A do some pretty light ones too.

xcstu
    Free Member

First time I’ve actually gone out of my way to find out how much it weighed.. a little sad ;-/

Was hoping it might be under 20lbs but was just over at 20.5lbs!!

DanW
    Free Member

No MoCo damper in my SIDs – saves 150g! Do that on a World Cup SID and they’d be quite light!

Tell me more 😀

Lauf and German:A aren’t really “proper” forks or in the reach of most people (limited travel and damping/ rider weight limits/ very pricey etc) 😕 No doubting there are options out there but it is really hard to justify spending more than a SID. For a 26er a Lefty or Durin can be had quite cheaply and come out very light. 29er 100mm Leftys (i.e. 120mm 26er) are a fair bit heavier than a 100mm 26er which is a bit annoying too.

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon a bit heavier than njee20’s, but not much, dont have any accurate scales.

Your frame’s 300g lighter, and your saddle’s lighter, but everything else looks heavier. Nice bike though, do like the look of the SL frame, just couldn’t justify the extra £1100.

tomaso
    Free Member

Mine has put on weight consistently with each upgrade and is about 32lbs 🙂

richieokeefe1
    Free Member
    richieokeefe1
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

You would not believe how much I paid for it with iCD electronic forks………………..£ 2000.00, ex demo from Trek UK.

How do you its a SL frame Im not sure as the receipt from Trek is a bit vague, is their a difference?

Cheers

large418
    Free Member

No pics online, but my Planet X Dirty Harry is 9kg (20lbs). With crest rims, novatec hubs, light spokes, mt zoon and kcnc bits, carbonia saddle and rebas. It flies ( except yesterday when the engine was running rough).

njee20
    Free Member

You would not believe how much I paid for it with iCD electronic forks………………..£ 2000.00, ex demo from Trek UK.

Frame and fork, or complete bike? Crazy bargain if the whole thing!

How do you its a SL frame Im not sure as the receipt from Trek is a bit vague, is their a difference?

Colour – that was the stock spec for the SL 9.9. But also – internal cable routing, integrated seat clamp, removable armour. Weight too – yours is <900g, mine is 1311g, so actually a 400g difference.

rhayter

My Yeti Big Top 29r is 24.7lbs (or was running Nobby Nics front and rear, tubeless). The bare frame was 4.8lbs for a medium.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Yeh £ 2000 for everything, think they made a mistake as they said the list price was £4K and they would do it for half price. The link Trek sent me for the original advert for the bike new was incorrect and it showed a cheaper model(£4K model) so I think they got their knickers in a twist. I reckon with the iCD electronic Fox forks which are about a £800 extra on the Project One site and the Project One paint job its over £ 7K new. (I swapped the post and saddle)

njee20
    Free Member

Awesome, good effort!

That was the stock paint job, but it didn’t have an iCD fork, and was £6k with a FIT RL Float, so getting on for £6500 certainly.

njee20
    Free Member

Tell me more

You can take the whole MoCo damper out – you obviously lose the compression damping, so if you’re a fettler it’s not for you. You retain the rebound damping. You can either fit an air valve top cap, for symmetry, or R2 bike do a blanking top cap for just that purpose.

Lauf and German:A aren’t really “proper” forks or in the reach of most people (limited travel and damping/ rider weight limits/ very pricey etc) No doubting there are options out there but it is really hard to justify spending more than a SID. For a 26er a Lefty or Durin can be had quite cheaply and come out very light. 29er 100mm Leftys (i.e. 120mm 26er) are a fair bit heavier than a 100mm 26er which is a bit annoying too.

Wasn’t particularly thinking of their linkage forks, they have a normal telescopic one, XCite I think it may be. Friend has one, seems reasonable, they do one with no lockout, QR dropouts etc.

I have to say though, I’m tempted by a Fox on mine, it would add weight, but the Fox on my old Top Fuel was a lot smoother than the SID on the Superfly.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I’m currently building from an open o-1.0 frame with a mishmash of parts from the bin, china, germans, us and Italians. It’s currently sitting at 16.23lb excluding pedals, chain and chainring. Hopefully will be ready for its maiden run this weekend.

njee20
    Free Member

Ooooo, Open frames look great! Be good to see that build.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Currently running two Giant 29ers.
    An Anthem as above,1×10,dropper,carbon wheels.
    That’s just over 26lbs.
    The hardtail is an XTC alloy model,nothing special.
    With Sids,1×10 XTR it’s coming in at 21.5 lbs.
    Nothing silly expensive just sensible spec.
    Currently dressed in Niner rigid forks for winter and I reckon it’s sub 20 lbs.
    Will get some photos up when the laptops fixed!
    Thanx,
    Max

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

As it stands now its 25 lbs on the button, as just weighed it, with 520 pedals and probably a 1lb of frame protector, mudguard, and ODI better grips. Would like a bit more off, maybe a 1lb more from the 1030 sram cassette and other things I need to find by stripping and checking.

njee20
    Free Member

Saddle looks heavy, those tyres aren’t that light (or grippy) too.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Open O-1.0 frame, LB rims, SISL2 cranks, Fox CTD forks, extralite hyper hubs, finishing kit from MTzoom etc. target weight for the finished bike is 17.5lb.

njee20
    Free Member

Hollowgram SISL2 cranks and Mt Zoom bars are about all I can make out there!

Edit: aah, was right about those bits! What rims? Is it the Extralite wheelset?

mashiehood
    Free Member

Light bicycle rims, 30mm front, 27mm rear, come in at 1300g. I asked LB for the lightest possible rims and the 30mm was 375g and 27mm was 350g

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Saddle looks heavy, those tyres aren’t that light (or grippy) too.

I thought I would be on point of death on the rooty, muddy ride on it last week, but weirdly ( although my first 29 er) I didn’t loose traction at all.
    Saddle was uncomfortable for the first mile, then I forgot about it. Might get it on the scales at the weekend. PG1030 is 150grms ish heavier than an XT cassette, so food for thought….

frogstomp

Just gone 1×10 on my Scott Scale Expert – now 10kg (22 lb) on the nose with Ritchey WCS bars/post/stem..

(Spot the deliberate mistake 😉 )

njee20
    Free Member

I asked LB for the lightest possible rims and the 30mm was 375g and 27mm was 350g

Ha, I did the same, 355g and 354g I think mine were!

mashiehood
    Free Member

The service and quality from lb is amazing. I built the wheels myself and rather pleased. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘How light is your 29er?’ is closed to new replies.