Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How light are a light pair of 27.5 wheels?
  • zippykona

If I get my new bike the wheels are 1850 g. Giant anthem sx1.
    I like hope hubs and Stan’s rims. From what I can find on the intraweb I will save about 150 g at best with crest rims.
    What light ,reliable wheels can you get for £400?
    I never knowingly get air and do hard core mincing.

ferrals
    Free Member

I got a set built up with DT swiss 350 hubs, ryde trace xc rims, brass nipples and I can’t remmeber which spokes for jsut over 400 i think. From memory on paper tey were about 1550g which seems to be a fairly standard weight for lighter wheels.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Lightweight, strong and reliable = £££

Though for £500ish, maybe less with discounts, I specced up some DT wheels and worked out an XM421 with 350 hubs could be had for 1600g-ish. Just as an example. I didn’t look at Hope hubs as can’t stand them. I go with DT hubs as they’re much quieter and robust. Just my preference though. You can go lighter with DT 240 hubs, but then you’re adding a lot more onto the price.

On my list of wheels I’d been looking at I’d got an Arch Mk3 set listed at 1697g. Not sure where that was from though and what hubs etc. Got an Arch EX rim on one of my bikes. Had it running on the rim with a flat at the end of a ride, and no dents at all. Though I didn’t think they were particularly light wheels. Got a carbon set (awful swiss cheese American Classic wheels, I do not recommend) at 1600g and they felt much lighter than the Arch EX. Maybe the Arch Mk3 are lighter though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Well at that price you’re definitely looking at aluminium, and I think the easiest way to go noticeably lighter than Hope/Crests would be with a Mavic factory wheelset.

Can you live with unfashionably narrow 19mm internal rims? If so, buy these immediately. 1,470g teh pair and you even get tyres thrown in…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-crossmax-sl-pro-ltd-wts-wheelset-2016/rp-prod140699

zippykona

A noisy free wheel is a must to alert walkers .
    I like the swap ability of hope hubs as I tend to keep them longer than my bikes. Do all modern hubs let you swap end caps?
    Those mavics…….just a bit too loud for me!
    Edit ,I guess the stickers will come off ,I need a 142 rear.

stevied
    Free Member

Or some Sun Ringle Black Flag for £280 (reduced from £800). 1.54kg:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sun-ringle-black-flag-pro-sl-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod158251

chakaping
    Free Member

You probably get the 142 end caps with the Mavics (I always have) but if not they are the standard ITS-4 hub and endcaps are available and easy to swap.

You won’t see them when you’re riding.

😉

zippykona

I like the sun ringle.
    Would they be compatible with this?

Giant Tracker, sealed cartridge bearings [F] QR15 [R] 142mm RWS QR

deadkenny
    Free Member

zippykona – Member 
    A noisy free wheel is a must to alert walkers .

Or a bell 😉 (yes, I do have a bell. Little stealth one hidden away. Only ever need it for the canal tow path. Though I need a fog horn to alert all the ones with headphones on).

Noisy free wheel is not good for cheeky trails though, especially past Mr “potentially going to have a rant at you”‘s house who doesn’t approve 😀 . Stealth is good sometimes.

But generally Hope in particular just annoys the crap out of me. As I say, it’s just personal preference.

I like the swap ability of hope hubs as I tend to keep them longer than my bikes. Do all modern hubs let you swap end caps?

I’d say not all, but most. Though sometimes there are limits where you can’t swap certain things (e.g. DT 15mm can’t be swapped for 20mm, different size hubs for the axle). All my DT stuff come with QR and the relevant through axle caps, swappable. Got/had Crank Brothers and American Classic and they’re swappable caps also.

zippykona

I will also need sram 10 tooth compatibility.
    I’m assuming I can’t just take the free hub off the giant wheels and fit it to either the mavics or sun ringles.
    It was so much easier when all bikes had the same size hubs.

onewheelgood

I swapped the Giant wheels on my XTC for the earlier version of these – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-crest-mk3-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod152390 and swapped the cheap OEM Schwalbe tyres for some decent ones. The difference was unbelievable, it felt like a different bike.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve got some £1300+ (Giant retail price, not what I paid) wheels…. and some £100 wheels

TBH I haven’t weighed the £100** ones but they are not significantly* lighter than the £100 ones …

*by which I mean you can easily make the carbon ones heavier by tyre choice alone!
    **superstar 50% on already discounted new years eve

I got the carbon wheels along with a used bike and paid less than the retail price of the front wheel for the whole bike… in comparison to the stock wheels on my T-130 with stock tyres the £100 ones are way lighter (even with a 2.4 Hans Dampf)

The £100 were a bit on New Years Eve Madness (I think I purchased about 23:00) … TBH I never worked out where the weight is in the WTS / Whyte hubs / tyres…. they just felt really heavy so I was using the carbon ones…. and more concerned I’d break something I couldn’t really afford to replace…

The Carbon P-TRX’s are better in every way …..especially ride quality and stiffness (using the same tyres) but they aren’t that much lighter…

I’d probably put money into spokes and hubs BEFORE rims if I was that bothered.

Kamakazie

I got some OEM DT Swiss XM1501 for under £300 from RCZ bike shop.

Took a while at the time but I think they have plenty of stock now.

Great wheels if you don’t mind straight pull spokes and 1550g.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I would consider Ritchey WCS TRAIL 30. https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-trail-275-650b-mountain-bike-wheels-1408

Findable for £300 but were £270 at CRC while they still had stock.

Around 1650g and will be strong – 25mm internal just a bonus.

plus-one

Im running those LOUD mavics on my iroko 8)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pinnacle-iroko-yes-please

Dropped nearly 3lbs over stock wheels(I’m also running tubeless)

Wheels came with lots of adapters for 142/148 etc and valves/sealant etc

iainc

which wheels come with that Anthem ? (I don’t think you can get the 2017 SX in the UK)

I have the Anthem 1, with this standard setup :

Rims Giant XCR 1 27.5 Composite Boost WheelSystem
    Hubs Giant XCR 1 27.5 Composite WheelSystem [F] Boost 15×110 [R] Boost 12×148

The carbon rims are light, stiff and so far seem pretty strong

zippykona

It’s a 2016 and comes with
    Giant P-XC 2 27.5″ Wheelset.

iainc

^^^^ Ah, I had those wheels on my old one, which was a 2015 SX, they took a fair bit of use in the 18 months I had the bike and were still perfect when I sold it earlier this year.

stevextc
    Free Member

The carbon rims are light, stiff and so far seem pretty strong

I’ve got a pair of the P-TRX composite … they are definitely stiff (ride is really really nice)…. light… dunno…. in terms of yes they are lighter than aluminium rims but by how much once you add tyres ???

and so far seem pretty strong

The so far was my experience…. but also what worried me as I’d never justify buying a new one from Giant… (Only the XCR is listed UK but that’s £750 or so for a back wheel)

I started getting paranoid about breaking them… Then I over-tyred them and started running higher pressure… which then ruined the fun.

If I could afford to break them (or convinced myself I wasn’t going to) I’d use them more.

iainc

^^^ I just googled mine, $1200/£950 for a pair, from Giant US….I’d better not break them !

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

trail tastic carbon about 1500g SRAM Roams so no you wont get a light set of wheels for £400. What you notice with lighter wheels is the acceleration.

Best upgrade on a bike – wheels.

If your full on for MTB Id always advise a frame build that way you don’t buy twice for the same thing. Upgrading is the most expensive path IMHO

Don’t worry about carbon rims mine are over 4 years old and still true, worn, scratched etc yes. Id go as far to say they are stronger than Alu. Yes I do ‘small’ drop offs 😉 honest guv

stevextc
    Free Member

Don’t worry about carbon rims mine are over 4 years old and still true, worn, scratched etc yes. Id go as far to say they are stronger than Alu. Yes I do ‘small’ drop offs honest guv

I’m pretty sure they are stronger (except sharp objects)… it’s more the replacement cost bothers me.

^^^ I just googled mine, $1200/£950 for a pair, from Giant US….I’d better not break them !

Plus import duty @7% and VAT @ 20% (if you have to import)
    Sorry …. that’s what got me paranoid….

iainc

^^^ yeah, I hadn’t really thought about it….till now…

1565g a pair though 🙂

welshfarmer

Have a play around with the actionsport.de wheel configurator. It gives you the total weight as you go along so you can see which options are best for weight/strength. You should get a good light set of wheels for your £400 depending on your options

https://www.actionsports.de/en/wheels/custom-wheels/mtb-disc-650b-27-5-/?p=1

zippykona

Very useful I shall play later.

vincienup
    Free Member

Pretty sure that last time I was building up Pro2Evos and Flow EX’s I came out around 1850 with brass nips and DT Comps.

Centrelock DT’s (350’s or 240’s) would help get the weight down over a 6bolt hub.

Centrelock DT 350’s and Superstar XC carbon (19mmx26″) rims came out about 1500g or so.

zippykona

How easy will it be to get spares for the mavic in 7 years time?
    Do they have a noisy free hub?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How light are a light pair of 27.5 wheels?’ is closed to new replies.