Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How is your alfine holding up?
  • muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for 6 months and would class myself as a regular trail rider. I love it but can’t help but think it just isn’t as ‘tight’ as it used to be. Sloppy is the best word. It skips a bit under high load (and yes it is set up and its on a SS so chain tension is good), it’s got a bit of side to side play so i guess the cones need nipped up and the pick-up has got far more noticeable. When i first used the hub i didn’t notice any pick-up but i’m almost looking at 1/6-1/4 of a crank revolution, which makes ratcheting impossible. I am going to give it a full service, LBS has the special tools (and there are a few!!) on order.

I always said i’d be surprised if it lasted year and at this rate it wont.

How are you getting on with them??

chunkypaul
    Free Member

been using mine quite a lot fr the last three months… i think the only issue i have is the shifting from second gear to first, particular when you need it on a sharp steep climb – it doesn’t like it under load – i tend to back off now from mashing up a climb when it won’t change as it has skipped resulting in a near bollocks/stem accident….

for me the pick up issue is only present in the low gears but nothing like a quarter turn of the crank

are you doing the service yourself?

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Yeah i’ll do it myself. Hopefully it’ll sort things out, i’m not convinced though. I’ll be able to get rid of the play but i’m sure the actual gears will have limited servicability. My understanding is that you dunk the internals in a tank of ‘special’ fluid to clean them but i’m not sure if they can be tightened up.

Anyone else having any issues??

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Mine’s sweet as but it hasn’t had a lot of use. A guy I know has used his several times a week on very hard offroad rides and his is fine too.

You might waant to have a chat to one of the guys from Bothy Bikes in Aviemore? They’re pretty helpful in person so hopefully he can spare two minutes – they run them on hire bikes and swear by them. When they sell the bikes on they do a lot of work on them beforehand so he might be able to give you some guidance?

brant
    Free Member

Has anyone heard of any proper failures? I can’t say I have.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Cheers squirrel, good thinking. I’m up there in a few weeks.
    I’m guessing this problem is eunique to me otherwise i’d have heard from more folk, especially on here.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Mine certainly hasn’t failed. It just isn’t quite what it used to be.

simon@18bikes
    Free Member

matt’s been running one for a while- had whaat I’d say were similar issues to- he’s done the dunk tank thing, but I wasn’t there- email us for a chat with him if you like.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Hi Simon, thanks for that i may well take you up on it.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Bought mine form 18bikes last summer. used a lot in Kentish mud, and not had a problem with it.

Feels as good as it did the day i first fitted it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How is your alfine holding up?’ is closed to new replies.