Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How is Afan riding at the mo?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Was planning BPW this weekend but due to the BDS finals we’re going to Afan instead. Thinking of doing Y Wal @ Afan then Blade @ Glynncorrwg. Is everything open at the moment and is there anything worth adding in? Only there for the day so wan to get as much in as possible.
    Will try and add a bit of playtime on the bike park too as we can access that from Y Wal..

wonnyj
    Free Member

Yeah i rode White’s on Sunday, did both descents and really enjoyed it 😀

hexhamstu
    Free Member

the new one is stupid fast but blown out and rutted up

perfect.

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks P-Jay et al, seems like it should be good for what we want.
    On a slightly different note, any idea what this is. It’s on the opposite side to the Centre, just off the fire-road. Looks like an MX or BMX track on Google Earth..

volatilemike
    Free Member

Its the rookie track ^^^

Y wall is still a great descent, so its worth doing.

I find Penhydd rubbish. Dont enjoy it all but thats just me, blade is very good if a decent amount of climbing!

wrecker
    Free Member

I rode whites on saturday and it seemed OK to me, and I’ve been riding it for years!
    The only major change is that the majority of the stupid boardwalk stuff is closed which isn’t a bad thing.

martinhutch

Goodwood is closed in all but name

Wondered why it was so bloody overgrown. Didn’t seem to be any alternative.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Whites climb, windy point, W2 link over to the wall, bike park mess about and zig zag decent then ride the cycle path up to beans on toast at skyline. Best bits of the mountain imo.

Weather wise its been great round here the past week or so so all the trails will be in great condition.

stevied
    Free Member

Weather wise its been great round here the past week or so so all the trails will be in great condition

Brilliant!
    Do you still have to go all the way down to the bridge, on Y Wal, to then have to come back up on the other side? That’s got to be one of the worst bits of any trail, ever…

mikey3
    Free Member

You can go up the tarmac bike path to cymmer(on same side of river as afan centre) and then back down to turning up the wall,its a bit longer but tarmac so probably just a quick as the shorter way.

wrecker
    Free Member

Whites climb, windy point, W2 link over to the wall, bike park mess about and zig zag decent then ride the cycle path up to beans on toast at skyline. Best bits of the mountain imo.

I used to do this all the time. Thanks for the reminder. It’s a pisser that it misses Tramway but not the bloody forest road climb after it!

rob8624
    Free Member

Steveid. ..nope, you go down a very short section called Alpha then up a section called Elevator the other side of the valley which pretty much takes you to the first fire road.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I don’t think tramway is that good either now

I wouldn’t even bother with alpha or elevator just ride the cycle path all the way up.

Don’t forget to take the right turn onto the new option on 373 which is way better than the original route. And also make sure you do the new loop back to the bike park before doing zig zags.

If I’m honest I hardly ever ride full wall anymore. Park in rhyslyn, ride the fire road straight up to the bike park go and do 373 and graveyard play about in the bike park then ride zig zags back to the car. The rest isn’t worth the climbing.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t forget to take the right turn onto the new option on 373 which is way better than the original route.

Agree with this! It’s very good.

And also make sure you do the new loop back to the bike park before doing zig zags.

this, not so much. It’s a piece of trail which has no place on the wall IMHO. Smooth, unchallenging (no matter how fast you ride it) and seemingly built cheaply. It’s a green option on a red trail.

Twin
    Free Member

I’d start at Glyncorrwg, do the W2 circuit until you traverse back to White’s level then pick up the blade trail instread and ride it back to the cafe. About 48K I think, it also means you don’t need to go up the other side of the valley to the Afan centre.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Was there at the weekend for the first time, really nice conditions, dry and dusty in the open, damp and perfect grip in the shade.

Ghost train on the blade is my favourite trail centre descent i’ve done, so good, slightly wet, slippy, gnaggery, was slight more challenging than the rest to make flow, which was the reason for the fun.

LMT
    Free Member

Is the energy trail\section still there or open?

rob8624
    Free Member

Energy is still there

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How is Afan riding at the mo?’ is closed to new replies.