Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • How intelligent is the average STW poster…
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member

I know people with IQ’s the other side of 150 I wouldn’t trust to tie their own shoelaces….
    Others who are under 100 but have more common sense and nouse than most.
    So define “intelligence”

Thankfully we don’t have to, it has it’s own definition – one that most people miss completely.

Most IQ tests, are just general knowledge quizzes, you could score highly because you were lucky, or had lots of exposure to the subject matter or just have a good memory.

Intelligence a measure of someone’s ability to learn new skills / knowledge and apply them – it’s not a measure of experience or some glorified pub quiz.

If you’re looking for an Intelligent STW member you need to find a poster who’s may be asking for help pumping up a tyre 12 months ago because they’re completely new to bikes and riding and now is offering constructive, well balanced knowledgeable advice on the subtleties of wheel building or setting up a CCDB without referring to their website for base settings.

All too often Intelligent is a label reserved for white-collar workers, and not blue-collar workers but it’s not really fair IMO, I’ve seen guys who can apply a huge amount of various skills they’ve got to getting machinery working again, or create the most wonderful things out of metal and wood, but people don’t generally think of them as intelligent, artisan maybe, skilled certainly but not ‘intelligent’ oh no you need a suit and tie or maybe even a lab coat to be intelligent.

‘Common sense’ is usually just someone reacting to an everyday problem with the usual response with no more thought than “what did I do last time” or “what did Mum or Dad do” you could argue that someone offering a daft or unusual response has either never been exposed to that problem before, or is at least considering all options for the best solution – ‘common sense’ is usually just the easiest way.

There’s another kind of ‘Common Sense’ of course, it’s code for “this is my pre-conceived opinion that I have no way of proving is correct, nor would I want to” UKippers are quite keen on “Common Sense”.

somouk
    Free Member

I got dressed by myself this morning and haven’t injured myself yet today.

Winning.

Moses

Most IQ tests, are just general knowledge quizzes, you could score highly because you were lucky, or had lots of exposure to the subject matter or just have a good memory.

Na.
    Most IQ tests are to do with reasoning, and are designed to be independent of educational background. Have a look if you don’t believe me.

It is true that they tend to measure a particular type of aptitude, so a high IQ is no guarantee of empathy, “common sense” (see above) , spatial skills etc.

I am not so intelligent as I used to think I was.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

The trouble with Common Sense is that it’s not very common.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I can tie my own laces but haven’t been smart enough these last 12 weeks to change them even though they are cheap rubbish laces that don’t tighten effectively.

DezB
    Free Member

Most IQ tests, are just general knowledge quizzes

You’re thinking of TV game shows.

IdleJon

I’ve never seen an IQ test that is based around general knowledge? I must have been doing the thicko test.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

you may be confusing IQ with QI

CheesybeanZ

I ride a single speed .
    HTH

donald
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps it was general knowledge and you were too stupid to notice 😉

FWIW I agree with you

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ha ha great question ! People can hold divergent opinions and argue their case forcefully and intelligently whatever their level of qualifications.

Rockape63
    Free Member

not sure about intelligence….but I am always right! 8)

binners

A considered appraisal of my ‘intelligence’…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Luckily I have looks…

walla24
    Free Member

Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

!

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re looking for an Intelligent STW member you need to find a poster who’s may be asking for help pumping up a tyre 12 months ago because they’re completely new to bikes and riding and now is offering constructive, well balanced knowledgeable advice on the subtleties of wheel building or setting up a CCDB without referring to their website for base settings.

Isn’t that just a driven obsessive?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Opinions are like arse holes…….. Everyone has one but some stink!

Everyone has one but shouldn’t try to force it on others.

medoramas
    Free Member

What is intelligence? 😐

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ve just been for a brain scan. It came back negative.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So are these posters genuine high flyers with a wealth of qualifications and high IQs to back up their comments and views

I have very little in the way of qualifications and I try to restrict my comments and views to things which haven’t got much of a clue about.

That way I don’t get annoyed when people disagree with me.

Because quite frankly I find there’s nothing more annoying than people disagreeing with me when I know I’m right.

antigee

tpbiker – Member
    ooohh…this got just the reaction I was looking for

a fair evaluation

ourmaninthenorth

I feature in the bell curve. Towards one of the edges.

I’ll let you conclude which end.

vickypea
    Free Member

The trouble with IQ tests is that you can improve your score by practising them.

LHS
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The trouble with IQ tests is that you can improve your score by practising them.

You can practice at being clever? I knew it was worth trying.

DrJ

FWIW, I find this forum to be a pretty decent source of well thought-out and reasoned opinions from a large number of posters.

The fact that those opinions and experiences don’t always align with my own is what makes it interesting.

This. And I always have the feeling that if I actually met the people I violently disagree with, we’d enjoy a drink together 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I didn’t even know that STW sold posters.

Are they of log burning stoves and Audis*?

*not sure which poster would be more intelligent though

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Besides all the known issues with IQ tests, you can have people who have wildly varying IQ’s between the different test subtypes….eg Verbal/Non-Verbal etc.

Having ADHD or generalized anxiety can knock your mark down considerably as well.

IQ tests can be strange, I do really well in verbal and pretty well in non-verbal. However, I do really really **** badly with questions that look for patterns in objects. Yet I am good at maths and chemistry and most of my relatives are professional musicians. Make of that what you will.

nealglover
    Free Member

Qualifications aren’t a particularly good way of comparing intelligence either.

Apart from the fact they generally test memory better than they test intelligence, unless everyone took the same exams then it’s a pretty pointless comparison.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The fun thing is that if you’re intelligent, you’re more likely to have mediocre idiots as children….regression to the mean and all that.

I reckon this is why wealth is poorly correlated with IQ.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Qualifications aren’t a particularly good way of comparing intelligence either.

😯

Its is a pretty good way
    IIRC the higher and the better the qualification the brighter you are

Apart from the fact they generally test memory better than they test intelligence

Not really true but its hard to be intelligent with a poor memory, you cannot learn if you forget what you are taught.

, unless everyone took the same exams then it’s a pretty pointless comparison.

You do know different exams are at the same level dont you?

For example GCSE are all meant to be the same level of difficulty as are A levels as are degrees etc

Whilst no system will be perfect, and you will find exceptions, qualification level , including grade, is a decent indicator of intelligence.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

s is a pretty good way
    IIRC the higher and the better the qualification the brighter you are

I had a friend who got 5 GCSE’s grade C.

For a laugh I encouraged him to go to university with me and study a foundation course. He worked hard, transferred to the university of Leicester and came out with a 2:2 in Computer Science.

He wasn’t bright….most degrees value good memory over IQ.

ads678

For example GCSE are all meant to be the same level of difficulty as are A levels as are degrees etc

They used to do degrees in Take That, were they the same level as a degree in Civil Engineering?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The fun thing is that if you’re intelligent, you’re more likely to have mediocre idiots as children….regression to the mean and all that.

Intelligence is one of the most hereditary traits we have .75 iirc
    Twins studies etc show this pretty consistently plenty of research on this

I reckon this is why wealth is poorly correlated with IQ.

Its pretty well correlated but this may be both genes and also environment

For example David lord Posh son goes to eton so he gets plenty of advantage form that as well as his genes

mudshark
    Free Member

I went for a job recently where I had to do some online intelligence tests as well as personality profiling before they’d accept me for interview. I’m really good at those sorts of intelligence tests and scored highly, a mate went through the same process and didn’t score too well but well enough. Thing is he’s better at the job than me – and I think comes across as brighter than me.

Testing was done by Mindmill.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am a Bachelor of Science but present me with numbers or equations and I haven’t got a clue. I think I have a number dyslexia if there is such a thing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dyscalculia

I suggest you all go away and read up on Intelligence[ and types], IQ tests and memory.

yours the person with a degree in Psychology who wont be listened to on this thread…..backs away slowly

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Intelligence is one of the most hereditary traits we have .75 iirc
    Twins studies etc show this pretty consistently plenty of research on this

http://www.my-iq.net/iq-test-Regression-450.html

yours the person with a degree in Psychology yours the person with a misunderstanding of heritability who wont be listened to on this thread…..backs away slowly

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘How intelligent is the average STW poster…’ is closed to new replies.