Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How important is riding from the door?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

That thought had crossed my mine. If we’re on the edge of the good stuff, would we end up just riding the Sam stuff to death? Getting in the car, which we’re used to, gives us variety.

mintimperial

Well I’ve lived in the same village for the last ten years and I’m still finding new bits and bobs pretty much on my doorstep (I am moving house this summer, but not because of the riding). I don’t get bored of riding the same stuff – it’s quite nice to really get to know the local trails so you can ride them almost subconsciously, see how they change over the seasons and develop over time, get grumpy when the council ‘improves’ them and then watch them erode back into something new and fun.

Still, there’s nothing to stop you riding further afield if you do get bored. It just means you do always have something worthwhile to ride if you’re short on time.

epicyclo

I’m trying to return to my riding roots, and not drive my bike anywhere.

I’m lucky enough to have about 100 yards and I’m in the countryside with access to the mountains, but there’s lots of routes that are much further away that I used to take a car too.

That was the incentive to build a general purpose bike capable of road and offroad. Now I can ride 20-30 miles to get to a track and follow it to its end. The big advantage of this is that the ride does not have to loop back to a car dropoff. For example start on one side of a range and end on the other, and ride home on the road, and there’s the flexibility of being able to change your intended route any and as many times you want. (eg the sky is blue over that way 🙂 )

ebygomm
    Free Member

Twenty minutes drive from the good stuff then you’re almost certain to have rides from the front door as well.

milky1980
    Free Member

For me it’s very important!

I live in the centre of Cardiff and can be at the local riding in 15 mins by car or 25 mins by bike but that involves cutting through the city centre, even then it’s not close enough! Cwmcarn’s a 25 minute drive away, Afan, the Beacons and the FOD an hour. Spoilt for choice compared to most but I grew up in the Beacons with multiple trails outside my front door so it feels odd driving to ride the bike. I don;t have kids to worry about so the next move will be to a good riding spot. Now just to figure out where 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Got or gonna have kids?

Choose on schools instead.

Otherwise just let the missus decide.

Dibbs
    Free Member

It’s a three an a quarter mile climb from my door to the top of the Quantocks (Lydeard Hill), its a nice warm up. When I do drive up there I feel like I’ve cheated and also my legs feel lifeless for the first mile or two.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I moved to the Peak over 20 years ago precisely to ride from the door. Picked the village and house to provide as many options as possible – it gives equal access to both dark and white peak. Working locally means I can head out when everyone else has gone home – empty trails in the evening sun – bliss.

ski
    Free Member

A few years back, we went to look at a house that had a garden that backed directly onto the Malvern Hills, in the garden there was a small gate with a well worn bike path leading out onto the hill and another from the gate straight through the middle of the lawn directly into a shed!

My Mrs took one look at my eyes lighting up and strutted out of the property 😉

freddiest

Seriously considering selling my MTB for a road bike. No local trails within riding distance and no hills for miles. Every off road ride involves a drive of at least 45 mins each way and I’ve got a house to do up so its a big effort to get out. It’s only 1hr 30 to the lakes tho and I know I’ll miss it but I’m seriously thinking of giving it up.

timber

Place we moved from last year was surrounded by some great riding from the door, some even finished in the field next to the house. Only thing is, it makes you reluctant to drive anywhere different.
    The current place is about a 15 minute ride from the old one and has some OK if not great riding from the door, plus the stuff near the old house, but I am riding a greater variety now and exploring further afield within a 20-30 min drive.
    I miss the instant hit of a good trail from the door, but like the exploring and variety nearby more.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If I did’t ride from home it’s unlikely I’d ride at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How important is riding from the door?’ is closed to new replies.