Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How ill do you have to be to go home sick?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I feel pretty crappy. I have done for over a week now. I’ve been to the docs, I’ve got an ear infection, he gave me antibiotics and a spray on Friday morning. My head feels like it’s full of cotton wool, I’m half deaf in one ear and I keep feeling a bit wobbly. I can’t concentrate becasue everything is echoy in my head. I’m staying away from home in a hotel and last night I just lay on the bed feeling sick. That’s now passed though.

Thing is, in the 11 years I’ve worked here I’ve only had 3 days off sick, and one of those was to look after Mrs PP. It’s just not what I do and I’d feel guilty becasue I don’t feel **that bad really** but all I want to do is drive home and go to bed.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Then do it.

If you are ill enough to want to be in bed, then do so.

jam-bo

will you get a medal for staying and infecting everyone else?

philconsequence
    Free Member

go home young man! chances are the bosses wont even remember you going home sick in a few weeks as you’ve already turned up to work and by the sounds of it you’re not exactly known for pulling sickies!

AndyRT
    Free Member

but stay off the motorbikes!

Put up the white flag and rest.

hels
    Free Member

Not sure that ear infections can be transmitted to workmates, except maybe at the weekly coffee, croissants and stick our tongues in each others ears breakfast meetings.

Go home, go home now. I say you can. You have done enough. You will hinder your recovery if you don’t rest up properly.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

go home, but please dont drive if you are having trouble concentrating and balancing. Get someone to drive you home/take a train or taxi. What if you have a lapse of concentration and kill someone?

p.s this isnt judmentalworld advice, I have done the same in the past.

JulianA
    Free Member

Sounds as though you should be at home in bed but are you sure you’re fit to drive? (Beaten to it!)

Hope you feel better soon – ear infections are most unpleasant.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get someone to drive you home/take a train or taxi.

It’s 95 miles. I’m not that bad. It’s just getting me down more than anything now. I don’t do ‘ill’ very well. Injuries I shrug off but not ‘ill’

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ill enough that you can’t work or if work is preventing your recovery.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What would Hora do?

yossarian
    Free Member

If you are well enough to get up to go to work, you are well enough to stay at work.

rOcKeTdOg

In my dept, a slight headache or a dead pet will entitle you to minimum 3 days off, I kid you not, the rest of us need to have the plague before we give in

trout
    Free Member

I feel for you PP I am still battling this ear infection and it is now over two weeks of pain
    I am now on the third course of antis and forth different eardrops
    they took a swab and it seems to be a real nasty bastid germ in there .

Go home you will be useless at work anyways

By the way I am self employed so lost 2 weeks earning

on the plus side in the pain free bits I have been able to build lights and send them out

rOcKeTdOg

What if you have a lapse of ?concentration and kill someone p.s this isnt judmentalworld advice, I have done the same myself

Who did u kill?

MrSmith
    Free Member

sounds like you should take the day off, you don’t sound like a whinger.

usually it’s dependent on if you are self employed or not.
    total days off in 18 years working for myself due to illness: 2 with a chest infection.

average is 6 a year for workshy employees

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just sacked it and gone/going home.

Expect a lot of posts from me tomorrow

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah well never mind.

Can I have yer bike?

jruk
    Free Member

I think the general rule is:

Private sector: when you’re just about dead – we’ve got bills to pay!
    Public sector: whenever you want – who cares?

Harry_the_Spider

It’s 95 miles.

!

You have a 190 mile round trip commute?!

maggy
    Free Member

if i were you i would go home and take a long rest 😥

Taff
    Free Member

Depends, don’t really like being at home unless I’m going to be unconscious or I’m highly contagious. If you can’t concetrate on work then there’s no point you being there and you may make mistakes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Am I the only one to say MTFU?? Thought someone would be here first.

Seriously..

Go Home and stop Whining.

Phah

mudshark
    Free Member

I got infected yesterday, the train was full of ill people. So today I’m working from home to hopefully not spread my germs – and get more rest.

aracer
    Free Member

If you are well enough to get up to go to work, you are well enough to stay at work.

I’ve been sent home from work having made it in. Mind you that was probably when the company was still effectively public sector 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not read the OP have you? 😉

MTFU?????

Are you flipping serious???!?%$E??&^%!??!?!?*&&^*%£????

The 11 years/3 days sick I refered to earlier includes a broken wrist AND a broken ankle! I didn’t take a day off for either!!!!
    In May I was training people on crutches! One of the 3 days I was looking after Mrs PP after she passed out twice and spent the night in hospital and another day I was sent home by the manager after he came in to find me throwing up with my head down the bog!

Also, FYI, i’m not salaried like I guess most here is. You take a day off for a sniffle, you still get paid. I take a day off and my pay is £80 light…..

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeah PP… MTFU! i’m serious.

Harry_the_Spider

Not read the OP have you

Got me there! My ear infection has reduced my powers of concentration.

Cougar

The rule of thumb I use for illness is, if I do go to work, will I be any use when I get there? If the answer is ‘no’, ie I’m just going to sit there feeling crap, I might as well be at home in bed.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How ill do you have to be to go home sick?’ is closed to new replies.