• This topic has 149 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)
  • How high do you think fuel prices will have to reach before…
  • binners

Were there aliens involved in this conspiracy too TJ? It just looked like some fat blokes with bad haircuts to me

Perhaps we should have sent a squadron of Prescott’s to punch them? After all, lefties like him are renowned for their environmental leanings and sympathy for green issues

Not for them, the world of gas guzzling large engined cars.

Oh…. hang on a minute……

I am not hopelessly naive

I think you’ll find that’s exactly what you are. Sorry

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s great, less cars and they’re going slower.

yossarian
    Free Member

I think the thing that gets me is the ‘I’m alright jack, **** the rest attitude’ displayed by those lucky enough to live close to where they work and are not affected by fuel prices.

its not always a case of being lucky though is it? In some cases its a choice, just as its a choice to switch your electricity supplier to one thats 100% generated from renewable resources and its a choice buy localy made/grown products etc etc etc

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

its not always a case of being lucky though is it?

I refer you to Twin.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its no conspiracy. The previous fuel cost protests were clearly organised and managed by right wing elements with tory party links and were supported by Cameron

to think otherwise is hopelessly naive but as usual its the head in the sand petrol heads tendency on STW bleating hopelessly about this

Energy prices will rise and continue to rise. managing the change in our society that this means should be our priority. its better to get ahead of the game than wait for it to be forced upon us

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ll never be able to afford a Porsche 911. Doesn’t mean an owner of one is a **** though. They just worked harder at life than me.

More money != worked harder or more successful

clubber
    Free Member

The previous fuel cost protests were clearly organised and managed by right wing elements with tory party links and were supported by Cameron

You’ve probably got a point to some extent there TJ. EDIT – in that the protests were certainly publicised by elements of the press just to stir up trouble and the idea that Labour were losing control, etc.

Mind you, your patronising view on everyone else who isn’t as clever/well informed as you (which seemingly covers pretty much anyone who disagrees with you on anything) explains why a lot of people don’t believe or like your views or your behaviour… something to think about maybe…

yossarian
    Free Member

What about you TSY?

molgrips
    Free Member

just as its a choice to switch your electricity supplier to one thats 100% generated from renewable resources

There isn’t one, is there? And even if there were, we couldn’t all switch to it.

But yes – managing change is what’s needed. End of.

The issue is though that the Govt is depending on fuel duty as much as we are depending on the fuel. Great – we’ve slashed fuel usage, hooray – but our income tax has doubled – boo.

binners

Its no conspiracy. The previous fuel cost protests were clearly organised and managed by right wing elements with tory party links and were supported by Cameron

If that’s the case, then now that their master plan has reached fruition, they will be calling in the favours and we’ll be seeing their Tory friends, now safely in government, will be slashing fuel duty for them…..

Let me know when that happens will you TJ. Then you’ll have the proof of your conspiracy. And not before.

yossarian
    Free Member
    Cougar

It’s great, less cars and they’re going slower.

Except, that’s not true, is it.

People, fundamentally, won’t give up their cars. They’ll run into debt, they’ll steal fuel, they’ll put a cocktail of chip-pan oil and Special Brew into their diesels and hope for the best, but there’d have to be a serious price hike for most people to seriously consider alternatives.

Personally, I think part of the problem is the woeful absence of realistic options. Long-distance train routes are viable so long as you’re travelling on your own, but to do any sort of short to medium distance is just silly. I idly looked at getting my OH to South Wales via train for a job she was looking at, and to get there for say 9am she’d have to set off at 10pm the night before.

Also, where did all the school buses go? Go anywhere near a school at picking up or dropping off time and you can’t move for yummy mummies ferrying little Hermione about in their BMW X5s and Land Cruisers.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well, it’s a bit of a Catch 22 for me… I move jobs every two years or so… I work at a level and in a position that requires me to be within an organisation of a certain size… my age, house prices in the SE, proximity to family and friends dictate that it makes more sense to commute a little further than I’d like to and avoid paying the costs of relocating just to save some fluffy bunnies.

Edukator
    Free Member

True TJ, but are you personally ahead of the game.

/self-righteous mode/

My electricity bill last year was -1500e, yes, that’s a minus sign. Gas bill: zero. Wood bill: 250e, though some of the tools included in the total should last years (all the wood came from gardens). Commuting: on foot. Weekends: on the bike. Skiing: about 6000e (no pockets in shrouds eh!)

yossarian
    Free Member

thought so

Edukator
    Free Member

It is true Cougar, the last time fuel went up in France the consumption of fuel went down (by about 10% for the most expensive period) and the number of speed related accidents went down.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

S’pose I could just jack it all in, get a job in the local supermarket, sell my car, move into rented accomodation and put myself on the council house waiting list?

That’d help society the best wouldn’t it? Be so much better if not only I could cut down on my fuel bill I could cut down on my tax bill too…

Might have to stop buying locally sourced organic food though… christ this middle class dilemma will keep me going all week… will I still be able to buy fair trade coffee?

So Yossarian… care to share how you’ve achieved your carbon neutral utopia?

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, where did all the school buses go?

Ah yes, this is a goodun.

In Cardiff afaik they give kids the choice of which school to go to. So kids are going to school all over the city. The result is that you’d need hundreds of busses each with only a few kids on. So their parents drive them – so now instead of people popping down the road to work, they are driving all over the city to drop their kids off first, driving much further and for longer than they need to.

just to save some fluffy bunnies

As if this was just about bunnies. I expect better from you tsy!

binners

will I still be able to buy fair trade coffee?

No. I’m afraid Yeti’s gone to Iceland 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

Yeah I guess you could, bit extreme though isn’t it?

So Yossarian… care to share how you’ve achieved your carbon neutral utopia?

lol, getting a little touchy aren’t you?

Well, I made the choice to get a job I could cycle to every day, I made the choice to buy a house that scores pretty well on the environmental impact report and to source our electrcity and gas from the greenest suppliers I could find, I made the choice to grow some of our own food and buy as much local stuff as poss etc.

Maybe I was/am lucky to be able to do this – married with 2 little kids by the way

I think there’s a big difference between HAVING to do something and justifying your choices to do something, hence my earlier post…

We still go round to Jerry and Margo’s for a glass of sherry from time to time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Binners… I’m going to report your post for swearing… ***land?! Jesus H… I come out in a rash if I go into a Sainsbury’s!

hora
    Free Member

Also, where did all the school buses go?

My Mum used to give me money for the bus but no pocket money. School was 2 miles each way. Now I know why she did this.

I never caught the bus.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There isn’t one, is there? And even if there were, we couldn’t all switch to it.

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-your-home/?gclid=CM_Wm6PvzacCFcJP4Qod4z0lCw

Probably not accomodate us all but it is a start we need to change.
    The status Quo is clearly unsustainable

Cougar

the last time fuel went up in France the consumption of fuel went down

Ah, didn’t realise you were in France.

To be fair, I don’t have figures, either for there or for here. I know that in the height of the fuel protests here in the mid-2000s, we were looking at a pound a litre, now some six years on it’s 40% more than that. When I started driving circa 1990, IIRC it was under 40p/litre.

I filled up this morning and it was over £90 – if it rises much more it’ll be £100 per tank. If we’re going to have another “protest,” I suspect that might be a tipping point for people.

Purely anecdotally, I’ve not seen a noticable change in traffic volume or speed. If anything, there’s more cars and they’re going faster. Like I say though, I don’t have any figures for this so could well be wrong.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve not seen a noticable change in traffic volume or speed. If anything, there’s more cars and they’re going faster. Like I say though, I don’t have any figures for this so could well be wrong

The same people still do 55 in the middle lane or 60 if they go over into the third lane.

The same people still drive as though they are Schumacher from the 90’s with their company cars.

What we don’t notice is the people who have to commute by car but now with pack lunches, cancelled foreign holidays, living on budgets and turning the hearing off at home.

Edukator
    Free Member

Diesel consumption dropped 10.6% in August 2008 when the oil price reached $150

And 47% of people were prepared to reduce their fuel consumption if the high prices continued.

binners

Hora. Shut your jibba jabba fool. She was actually trying to get you killed. She cackle demoniacally as you tramped dutifully off on your normal walk to school. Down the hard shoulder of the M62

Come on Yeti. Who could resist…..

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just did a bit of sick in my mouth.

hora
    Free Member

Binners, at least we got shoes as kids. I know kids in Warrington had to make do with bare feet and the only excitement that came to the town was when the IRA held a fireworks display 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, I made the choice to get a job I could cycle to every day

I think a lot of us would absolutely love that. We’re not all in such a fortunate position though.

Probably not accomodate us all but it is a start we need to change

I’m with Ecotricity. This, from their own website:

n just four years we have more than
    doubled the amount of green electricity in
    our mix to 41%. All from our own
    windmills. (The UK average is 6.6%.)

..tells you two things. One is that they can’t even supply their own small customer base with 100% renewable, and the other is that there is only enough renewable currently for 6.6% of the UK’s needs.

Yes we do need to change, and signing up for Ecotricity is a great start but getting up to say 20% is going to be extremely hard. And then we’d only be 1/5 of the way there!

yossarian
    Free Member

I just did a bit of sick in my mouth.

Yossarian… please describe your design for life, maybe we can learn from you?

nah, work it out for yourself, its not hard

..tells you two things. One is that they can’t even supply their own small customer base with 100% renewable, and the other is that there is only enough renewable currently for 6.6% of the UK’s needs.

yep, spot on. nothing’s going to change unless the consumer demands it unfortunately.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As if this was just about bunnies. I expect better from you tsy!

😆 I was trying to be inciteful!

Yossarian… I would suggest you are lucky, or fortunate. Maybe I should move. Oh wait a minute… I already live close enough to cycle. 😆 20 miles each way, everyday would probably be bit of a ball ache though.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I know kids in Warrington had to make do with bare feet and the only excitement that came to the town was when the IRA held a fireworks display

It wasn’t particularly exciting for three year old Johnathan Ball or twelve year old Tim Parry.

🙄

hora
    Free Member

How will truckdrivers like neilsonwheels dispose of Prostitutes in the future if he doesn’t have access to petrol?

Edukator
    Free Member

20%. Spain tops that whenever there’s a bit of wind. Germany is now over 17% and rising. France is at 15.5%.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Warrington had to make do with bare feet and the only excitement that came to the town was when the IRA held a fireworks display

Two children died in that particular display even for you that is a particularily low brow bad taste comment to make.

ahwiles
    Free Member

How high do you think fuel prices will have to reach before…

…people stop driving like dickheads?

clearly, quite a lot more.

molgrips
    Free Member

20%. Spain tops that whenever there’s a bit of wind. Germany is now over 17% and rising. France is at 15.5%.

Aware of that. Just saying – it will be hard for us to beat that.

And it will. Politically, economically, socially.. difficult.

Shouldn’t be but there you go.

D0NK

The sanctimonious vegan shoe wearing crowd…

This will be the same crowd that…

care to share how you’ve achieved your carbon neutral utopia?

So how far do you have to go before you are allowed to say you aren’t happy with the fossil fuel dependance we have? Live in a cave, veg patch outside, own a cow a sheep and raise chickens?

Surely using an end product doesn’t preclude you from questioning the production methods.

Edukator
    Free Member

As far as you can.

It’s down to choices and priorites. The guy with a Porsche Cayenne and £2000 heating bill obviously doesn’t have the same priorities or right to compalin about fuel prices as the man with a Polo, well insulated home, a solar hot water heater and a pile of share certificates in renewable start-ups.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘How high do you think fuel prices will have to reach before…’ is closed to new replies.