Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How high above a shed ridge should a stove flue pipe project?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just about to go to the merchants, any suggestions?

wors

isn’t it about 3 ft stuck outside?

br
    Free Member

Enough…

We’ve 2m on our houseflu, although it was planned at 1.5m – just they had a spare ‘bit’ once we’d got everything fitted/built.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d say you’ll be fine with a metre.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s measured from the ridge – think it may be about 1.5m from the exit through the roof, but it also depends on windows and the location of other buildings. This does not apply to you 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

So a whisker more than a metre or so won’t be far out.

I’ll see what lengths they have in stock. I need to get some brackets and ties to hold it in place too. I expect they’ll have something suitable.

konagirl
    Free Member

I know they don’t apply to Scotland but the Building Regs for E&W (Fig 17) suggest minimums of either 1m above the roof if the top of the pipe is >2.3m horizontally from the rest of the roof, or else above the ridge line. If your roof is quite steep, make sure it extends above the ridge line to be sure of a good draft (although I appreciate there is a trade-off with losing flue heat with the length of the external pipe).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

So I went to the merchants. The guy behind the counter instantly dismissed my installation idea and calculated the costs and availability of what I’d need. The total came to over £800.

That was a non starter, so we discussed what each component on his list actually did. I figured I could do much the same with a sleeve of eight inch pipe I have at home, a couple of his wall brackets and a rain shedding pipe collar. So I left with a considerably smaller bill and the salesman shaking his head though he couldn’t argue with the merits of my solution.

It was too cold by the time I got back, to install it so hopefully tomorrow I will give it a go. I have some cuttings of profile sheeting so I can have a dry run. The silicon gasket arrived too. It looks well up to the job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How high above a shed ridge should a stove flue pipe project?’ is closed to new replies.