Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • how hard's single speeding?
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Singlespeeding is great fun, and I ride gearless about 90% of the time although I have to admit that I've still got a geared bike in reserve for if I go anywhere really hilly or need to lug a heavy load.

Does anyone else find that riding singlespeed brings out their stubborn streak? Take yesterday…. did a quick 1 hour loop before brekkie on my singlespeed cross bike and managed to clean a climb I've only managed once before on my geared hardtail. I was a quivering wreck by the time I got to the top of it, mind… but it was worth it!

13thfloormonk

someone alluded to the BMX thing, and I think thats the best reason to SS, a nice quiet sturdy bike to thrash the bejesus out of down or along any singletrack you care to point it at. i've been finding long gradual singletrack descents hardest because i'm sprinting like mad and can't keep it going for the whole trail.

Its harder if you try to keep up with your geared mates on a longish ride with hills, and i haven't even contemplated taking it to any proper mountains with bogs in them, that would be silly.

rOcKeTdOg

i'm with you on the agression and stubborn thing, if i had gears i'd give up and change right down and plod up climbs, on a SS i get out of the saddle after charging at the climb from flat, don't always get up but never give up! blimmin knackering in the current heat wave!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

it will cost you what, £20 to try singlespeeding? So give it a go!

Of course if you do it properly with slot dropouts it costs as much as the cheapest SS specific frame you can find but will be a better choice.

DaddyJim
    Free Member

Single speedings a source, it'll change your life maaaaan…

or is that surfing.. one of the two I'm sure.

miketually
    Free Member

i'm with you on the agression and stubborn thing, if i had gears i'd give up and change right down and plod up climbs, on a SS i get out of the saddle after charging at the climb from flat, don't always get up but never give up! blimmin knackering in the current heat wave!

As I've got stronger, I've found that I can pace myself much better on long climbs. I mainly got to that from getting stuck behind geared riders on climbs during group rides. 10rpm pedalling 🙂

rootes1

Hmm, don't understand the 'crap chainline' arguement on 1×9 at all – it's just the same as riding in the middle ring of a 3×9 set up

yep not sure why people keep spouting this chainline issue rubbish for 1×9..

chainline is only an issue for non dérailleur bikes i.e. single speed of hub gear

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

chainline is only an issue for non dérailleur bikes i.e. single speed of hub gear

Really?

I've know loads of problems with chainline on geared bikes, ie smallest to smallest.

c9tln
    Free Member

finally tried my new pipedream single speed,first outing since breaking my arm and really enjoyed it but fair feeling it in my legs,only got off and pushed once which i was supprised about,did 18 miles around colne valley and outlane area,it's amazing how lazy you get with gears,fair left my mate on a lot of climbs as you just have to go for it and get it over and done with.

donks
    Free Member

Now you will be hooked trust me…

c9tln
    Free Member

have a feeling i could be,the full susser might not be leaving the garage too much now.

donks
    Free Member

Ha…just sold mine and all the gears I owned, no going back now.

Coyote
    Free Member

See? Good innit?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got a Genesis iO for my birthday in may, bloody great fun.

And you're right about the climbing thing

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘how hard's single speeding?’ is closed to new replies.