Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How hard to solder anew wire onto a light?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

My second hand minewt has a dodgy cable. How hard is it to solder anew one onto it? I have an extension cable i can butcher. Am i right in thinking it is 2 wires?

joemarshall
    Free Member

It is probably dead easy if you have the vaguest idea of how to solder. I would use a bit of heatshrink wrap too, that can make the bodgiest of soldering jobs strong enough to stay together. If you're joining up cables, make sure you get the wires connected to the right one in the other cable, or else your battery / light might blow.

If it's actually inside the light rather than just bodging something in the cable, that might be a little harder.

If you don't already have a soldering iron, personally I'd recommend just finding a mate who solders and giving it to them. It'll take you an hour of faffing around, not to mention buying a soldering iron, whereas someone experienced can probably do it in a couple of minutes (or at least that's my experience of being a not very good solderer).

Joe

racing_ralph
    Free Member

will give it a go i think

br
    Free Member

if you have to ask the question, probably too hard…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

f koff

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i was asking in case any here had a light (minewt) in front of them and had any input. Mine is not here, hence the question!!

Del

f koff

you're a charmer aren't you? didn't get the answer you wanted so you get abusive?

if you have to ask the question, probably too hard…

was basically fair comment. if you've never soldered before, it's not something you can pick up properly in five minutes, and in giving it a go you might properly **** up your light.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i have soldered lots (including making led lights for myself and others with no problems) – my question was re the number of wires – if its just 2 straight forward ones like i suspect it will be easy, if not slightly more complex

0091paddy
    Free Member

a fink yew nead to solda a newun.

CountZero

Second the heatshrink tubing on the joints. I fixed a broken wire on some outdoor led garden lights by stripping back the outer, sliding some heatshrink over, then some thinner h/shrink over the inner wires, making sure it didn't get hot, soldering the wires, sliding the heatshrink over and heating it, then sliding the outer h/shrink over the whole joint and shrinking that. It's a bit of a phaff, but it worked first go, just needed to be methodical.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think the nightrider are more than 2 wires – IIRC the control circuitry is in the battery case not the lighthead. Not sure tho.

ojom
    Free Member

I have repaired a fair few of these in my time.

There are 3 wires in the cable as TJ mentions and there are 2 PCB's in existence from memory.

It should be obvious what goes where. Be neat – get a wee croc clip work stand. Makes life easy.

Do not go in with too much heat – it WILL melt the insulation.

Make sure you remount the reflector correctly and do not overtighten the head screws when re-assembling.

Please please please do not operate the lamp for any length of time without the board screwed to the head metal…. its a heatsink!
    If you would rather it was done right then call Julie (top lass!) at 2pure in the morning and she will arrange to do it for you. She is on 0844 811 2001.

Mark

robhughes
    Free Member

not impressed with you rob.cocky git.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

rob hughes????

racing_ralph
    Free Member

mark – 2pure want £24 for the job tho 🙁

ojom
    Free Member

Uh huh. Well labour and shipping need paying for.

£24 aint many pennies. Saves you making a hash of it too!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How hard to solder anew wire onto a light?’ is closed to new replies.