Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How hard is walking…..in comparison to cycling.
  • ton

too bloody hard i reckon.
    just done a 3 mile fastish walk, part of my cardio rehab. i am knackered.
    aching legs, sore ankle, sweating buckets. even the dog looked fubar at the end.

another reason why cycling is far better for you…….it is easier 😆

wilburt
    Free Member

Core muscles(as always)..most physically difficult thing I’ve done is 56 mile walk in the Scottich Hills on a par with the Kielder 100 easily.

portlyone

My slaves seem to sweat a lot as they carry my litter

mudshark
    Free Member

It’s what you’re used to. My retired parents walk every day and don’t find they get tired even on walking holidays – they live by the Long Mynd so even get the hills in. Very good way for old people to stay fit.

Oh – my Mum once walked a 10k ‘run’ beating some of those who were meant to be running.

johni
    Free Member

Maintaining the will to live on walks with my family is far harder than cycling….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

… cardio rehab

This might be the thing that’s making it harder than expected, don’t beat yourself up about it.

How’s it going, you making progress?

rocketman
    Free Member

Walk quite a lot always have done. Only use the motor if absolutely necessary. A lot of the time it feels like I’m on a travelator moving but without any discernible effort.

somouk
    Free Member

Walking long distance does require practice and allowing the body to get used to the exercise. Especially if walking at a faster pace than your body is used to.

I’ve done Nijmegen and the death march and the only way to tackle that sort of thing is practice. Oh and Ibuprofen to help reduce the knee swelling overnight.

ton

How’s it going, you making progress?

it is going very good.
    managed a couple of steady 20 mile bike rides, and my ticker stayed regular.
    the only discomfort is from my ribs and sternum but that is getting better too.
    going on a cycle tour of arran, islay, colonsay and kintyre next week.
    only 20 to 30 miles per day on quiet roads, so i reckon i will be ok.
    doctor said i had to listen to my body, which i have, and all seems good…… 8)

timc
    Free Member

Interesting you found it so hard, as above it must be part of your rehab causing it to be hard & your age will play a part no doubt (sorry).

You do far more cycling mileage than me yet at the weekend I did Snowdon (Up Waktins & Down Miners) & whilst I was tired at the end I found it relatively easy with zero walking pedigree / Mileage. Great fun though, made me want to get out more!

I guess with everything its building upto it & allowing time to recover

psling
    Free Member

You’re probably ahead of me here but, if walking is going to be a regular part of your rehabilitation/ongoing exercise regime, is it worth getting fitted out for some suitable footwear (in much the same way as you would if you were running).
    Aching legs, sore ankle? OK, maybe not the sweating (or the kn@ckered dog!)

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t mind walking apart from how boring it can be but running does me in. If I go for a run my back, hips and knees are aching for a while after. Could just be that I need to run more though.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

its the downhills that feel like hard work when youre used to climbing up and then blasting down – walking down seems to take for flipping ever

globalti
    Free Member

I used to climb mountains but nowadays my muscles are so cycling-specific that walking, especially walking down, just kills me.

andytherocketeer

downhill’s definitely the worst. turns your legs to jelly.

uphill’s potentially easier, depends on terrain really.

stumpy01

I find walking surprisingly hard in terms of a workout, if going at a decent pace rather than just a stroll.
    Not so much my lungs, but I can really feel it in my legs. I think it’s because the only usual exercise I do is cycling, so my walking muscles aren’t up to much.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I probably walk more than I ride, you use different muscles and your feet need to be “tougher”. I find cycling much more energetic though so come back from a decent ride more tired than even a longish walk (4-6 hours).

Bunnyhop

As a walk leader I cannot stress enough how brilliant walking is for you.
    At a decent pace where talking makes you sound a little out of breath, then you are getting a good amount of exercise and a decent workout.
    Its great for the whole of the body, kinder to the knees than running, promotes good health and aids sleep.
    When I was a health walk leader, we took on patients that were prescribed walking after serious medical issues such as strokes or heart attacks. Many patients couldn’t walk a few metres. Before long they were able to come out on the longer led country walks of 2 hours, most of them continued, so the drop out rate was very low. It’s also a great way for older people to have social contact and easy to come along on a group led walk on your own with out feeling intimidated.

All children should be encouraged to walk where ever possible, as they are more likely to carry on as an adult and not rely on the car for every journey.

Ton – so glad to hear how well you’re doing. Have a great holiday and take it easy 🙂

tenfoot

Good to hear you are up and about

The following link might help

NHS linky

I do a lot of walking but after going for a run on Sunday, I can still just about walk now. Seems any new exercise type is going to make your muscles ache, if done with enough intensity.

brassneck

Did the south west coast path, with camping gear. I don’t think I have ever been so fit as then.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I find walking surprisingly hard in terms of a workout, if going at a decent pace rather than just a stroll.
    Not so much my lungs, but I can really feel it in my legs. I think it’s because the only usual exercise I do is cycling, so my walking muscles aren’t up to much.

I’m often surprised at how ‘unfit’ I am when it comes to walking and running. Put me on a bike and I’ll do as many miles as you like though.

Pigface
    Free Member

Go Ton, I do a bit of walking most days, listening to podcasts helps me, going down hurts my knees* but they are shot anyway. Good footwear stops your feet getting sore.

* no pun or innuendo meant 😉

kcal

Love walking. Would happily do it though when faced with a big walk I’d maybe rather be on bike. Gives a chance to clear ones head which biking doesn’t always.

But then I get odd looks when I say to folk I’ve walked 1 mile…

bikebouy
    Free Member

ton – Member
    doctor said i had to listen to my body, which i have, and all seems good……

Excellent news that..

Has your body asked for Beer yet? 😀

SaxonRider

Some of what ton describes resonates with me, but I have always found that pavement walking does my back in, even after I have walked regularly for a number of weeks. Someone suggested that it could be due to short hamstrings.

Is there any truth to this?

somouk
    Free Member

Some of what ton describes resonates with me, but I have always found that pavement walking does my back in, even after I have walked regularly for a number of weeks. Someone suggested that it could be due to short hamstrings.

Is there any truth to this?

Could be one of many biomechanical things to do with hip movement most likely. Worth seeing a professional if it’s bothersome.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

good insoles and well fitted boots help a lot

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Different muscles to walk than to cycle.

Proof, we went on the MTL and were fit enough to do it, the hill runner really struggled even though he was well healthier than we were. He didn’t smoke or drink for starters!

Regarding effort, force = effort x distance moved, possibly. If you walk along pushing a bike, it’s probably the same effort as cycling. Walker have it easy in my opinion as they don’t have a bike to take along.

I could however be totally wrong as I’m a bit pissed.

EDIT, Ton, come and do my job for a few weeks, land surveying. It’s piss easy and you get paid to walk 7 or 8 miles a day.

Edukator
    Free Member

On long cycle tours I usually end up with more (upper body) aches and pains than I started with. Walking gets steadily easier after about the tenth day. after a month, eight hours a day, every day leaves me no more tired than eight hours on a bike and with less aches.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How hard is walking…..in comparison to cycling.’ is closed to new replies.