• This topic has 34 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by wl.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • How hard is the Mary Townley loop?
  • dusterbenny
    Free Member

So myself, and a few riding mates are heading up north for a few days of riding next weekend, driving up on friday, via cannock for quick ride, Mary townley loop on saturday, lee and cragg quarry on sunday, and drive back down south monday morning.

Question is, how hard is the Mary Townley loop? I wouldn’t say i’m that fit, got round skyline on a single speed duster, that was about the hardest ride i’ve done so far, so what am I in for?

Will be riding a geared st4 this time, hoping that will help!

Cheers
    Ben

flow
    Free Member

It sounds like you are only 73% fit, you need to be at least 74% to complete this ride so I’m afraid you’ve got no chance.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fit people do it in a day. Its 48 miles so we took a lazy 2 days to do it with a night out in Hebden bridge thrown in for good measure.

If I did it again, i’d do it anti clockwise and in 2 days again.

If I were you, I’d do it in 2 days but throw in Lee & cragg along the way of one of the days. Stop 9in Hebden bridge, nice there.

its a pain with cars etc but manageable if there are enough.

monksie
    Free Member

We did it last Monday. It was ace in the dry. Prior to this I’d ony ever done it when it’s been wet. The dry ride was considerably nicer.
    Isn’t the fastest time to complete it during one of the MTL Challenge events under 5 hours?

dusterbenny
    Free Member

monksie how long did it take you if you don’t mind me asking?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you will have really good gate opening skills by the end of the day 😉

monksie
    Free Member

About 7 hours duster. We weren’t particularly hanging around nor hammering it if that makes sense? A good pace and we only stopped and got off the bikes for some butties (apart from gates etc.)
    edit. mate reckons nearer 6 than 7. I’m sceptical.

Rorschach
    Free Member

We took a fairly leisurely 7 hours to do it last year…..one of the very few times I have thought “mmmmm,suspension might be alright”.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

So plan for around 7 hours, and go from there. I think as long as we get started early ish, should be fine.
    Any advice for it chaps?

MrSparkle

Advice? Do it clockwise and keep yer eyes peeled for the signs. Enjoy.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

anyone got a gpx or mmo of the route please?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Advice …go to the lakes do something nicer..that is not sarcasm or what the others say if you are actually doing it

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Did the loop week last Thursday in beautiful dry conditions.

Clockwise, solo and with purposful riding took much nearer 7 than 8 hours if I subtract a shopping detour.

If you know there are a few gates its not a problem, especially if you can take turns.

Have been getting out twice a week for 3 – 4 hours over the past couple of months.

Enjoy 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Here’s a link to the gpx file

Or email me if you’d like the mmo file (email in profile)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

weaver
    Free Member

If its wet you can add at least an extra hour to your time, it was all riding really fast last week.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

all sounds good, question is i’ve read both clockwise and anti clockwise is good, which way should we go?

BigGraham
    Free Member

Bloody hell no-one told me we were riding for 7 hours on the Saturday! Is there somewhere to stop and buy pies on the way round? don’t think I can go 7 hours without a pastry based savoury snack!

RagTi
    Free Member

Was planning on doing it myself from my doorstep in Hebden next week

Bike choice is concerning me……

Ellsworth Epithany… Or… 1996 Kona Cinder Cone Hot Rod (100mm travel) ???

weaver
    Free Member

Anti clockwise is the quickest for me by half an hour at least, just steeper climbs to deal with but longer decents.

nuke

Ellsworth Epithany

Nope, I can’t take it anymore…I’ve seen you write this several times in other threads…it’s ‘Epiphany’! Don’t you ride your bike and see it written on the toptube? 👿

I’m sorry. It was niggling me 😳

RagTi
    Free Member

Ha Ha Ha….my humblest apologies, my head is down in shame!

I will always spell epiffany correctly from now on.

monksie
    Free Member

I’d have preferred a full suspension bike over my 100mm hardtail so it’d be the Ellsworth for me, weaver.
    I’ve only ever done it clockwise.
    There are some places to call into to to get supplies but you’d need to take a slight detour. We took our own. 3 litres of water with electrolite stuff in the Osprey back pack and 2 x 1 litre bottles with energy solution in the bottle cages was more than enough. Too much really, especially as we had sandwiches as well.
    If it’s very wet, I’d go ride somewhere else.

MrSparkle

You really think the MTL warrants full suss? I’d be quite happy on my rigid HT. I am a luddite though. And a masochist.

Esme
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you guys starting from? There are several pubs on/near the trail, and a couple of shops – near Colden, and at Waterfoot

dusterbenny
    Free Member

unfortunately, I’d need biggraham to answer that one, I know we are staying at the marmalade b&b if that means anything??
    7hours + pie and rollie breaks = 9 hours ey graham?!

MrSparkle

You’ll be reet @ Marmalades. Run by two MTL experts (and lovely people too)!

dusterbenny
    Free Member

excellent news. now just gotta hope my frame arrives on tuesday, all the parts fit without issue on wednesday, the test ride goes well wednesday evening, and all my stuff is packed and checked by thursday night.

big weekend planned!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

For top class pies try Mays Store in Colden, if you are riding clockwise, it’s about 1/2 mile off route as you come down the hill from Egypt. She also does a mean cup of tea and flapjack as well as almost everything you can think of in a village shop. It’s on the right, blink and you miss it.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

graham, we should take note of this. will no doubt be necessary at some point during the trip.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i did it last time for the mountain rescue when about 100 people showed and ti was raining and terrible the whole time took me about 7 hours to complete, was like a war just wanting to end but i did it 🙂

dusterbenny
    Free Member

forgot to say, if anyone else is in the area next weekend, look out for 3 blokes, looking a bit lost, and daunted by ‘actual hills’ and do say hello. fingers crossed we’ll be on an orange st4, an alptitude and a 456.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

Found the route on the web – we’re too pikey to afford a gps unit. What OS map is best to get?

Dave
    Free Member

OL21

wl
    Free Member

Quite hard to stay awake on it, I’ve heard.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘How hard is the Mary Townley loop?’ is closed to new replies.