Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • How hard can it be to resign?
  • mattyfez

I’d say a letter or email to your immediate manager is fine regardless of protocol, your terminating a contract, as long as you can prove the resignation is delivered email is probably better as it’s free and traceable then it’s legally binding.

HT can huff and puff about format and protocol until the cows come home.

neilthewheel

And I’m damned if I will piss around any more for a job that has had me off sick with anxiety and depression, prescribed anti depressants and on a course of CBT.

That sounds more like grounds for being signed off sick rather than resigning.

j4mie
    Free Member

Just when I started working for my current employers, they had discovered that someone who had walked out 2 years previously was still getting paid – their manager had left the day after and they hadn’t filled the correct form in.

I live in hope…..

Good luck with your decision, hope it’s the right one for you!

MoreCashThanDash

That sounds more like grounds for being signed off sick rather than resigning

3 weeks signed off with day time telly earlier in the year demonstrated what true depression really means…..

The resigning is due to swapping household roles with wife going full time and me wanting to go part time to fit around the kids and ageing parents.

The fact that Occy Health stated that reducing my hours would be better for my well being and attendance appears to be being ignored 😕

JoeG
    Free Member

j4mie – Member

Just when I started working for my current employers, they had discovered that someone who had walked out 2 years previously was still getting paid – their manager had left the day after and they hadn’t filled the correct form in.

So, you worked with Milton at Initech! I guess you took his stapler, too. 😆

piemonster

And I’m damned if I will piss around any more for a job that has had me off sick with anxiety and depression, prescribed anti depressants and on a course of CBT.

With this /\/\

Write a letter, email it(copying your personal address in) hand in a hard copy(dated, signed,photocopied). Specify a date and stick to it.

Your not a **** serf!!! Let them sort it out, it’s up to them if they just want yo bury their heads in the sand.

Being a tiny bit more reasonable, what does employment law say on the matter?

mattyfez

You just have to give the correct amount of notice as per your employment contract according to acas, you can even do it verbally.. Although written is preferable..

Acas

mogrim

I’d say a letter or email to your immediate manager is fine regardless of protocol, your terminating a contract, as long as you can prove the resignation is delivered email is probably better as it’s free and traceable then it’s legally binding.

HT can huff and puff about format and protocol until the cows come home.

You just have to give the correct notice, according to acas, you can even do it verbally.. Although written is preferable..

This. A short letter, stating when your last day is. Signed and dated. Don’t go into reasons or whatever, just the fact you’re going.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

There is a legend regarding the colossal incompetence at one of the UKs most useless car manufacturers (Rover) during a reorg in the 70’s one poor (lucky?) chap was meant to have been made redundant, but due to a filing error (all manual in those days) he suddenly ended up with no department, no boss, no direct reports, no colleagues and no actual role to do.

But they didn’t tell him. Or realise they were still paying him.

Got all the way to retirement (10+ years) without doing a single days work.

They were just as bad in the few months i was working with them in the 90’s.

sheeps

Don’t go into reasons or whatever, just the fact you’re going.

This… MrsSheeps has just toned down my resignation letter (that my boss will be getting this morning) removing all the emotion, and reasons why I’m going and what management changes precipitated the move.

Just simply, I resign, I have 3 months notice, this identifies the start of it*

*I am soooooo hoping for gardening leave but equally sooooo unlikely!!

MoreCashThanDash

Good luck sheeps.

I got made redundant in 99 when I had a proper job with 3 months notice. 3 months gardening leave became 3 weeks with my feet up followed by an immediate start working at the gym where I trained anyway. That saved me £40 a month…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep my last one had a simple statement of the required facts and was delivered in person to my line manager with the instructions that there were 2 copies confirm what you need to do.

bigyinn
    Free Member

When I resigned it was a letter handed to my line manager stating the fact of my resignation, how many days holiday left that I would be taking and what my final working date would be, based on the minimum notice period I could give.

I had an exit interview with HR manager about a week later and put the boot in the line managers backside.
    She ended up on gardening leave about 6 months later before getting the sack. My only regret about leaving was that I didnt get to enjoy that.

perthmtb
    Free Member

+1 about taking all the emotion and bitterness out of your resignation letter, no matter how justified it is. You never know when you might meet that person again, or need their help, no matter how much you doubt it now.
    For example, a couple of years ago I applied for residency in Australia and needed references going right back to my first job thirty years ago, and it helped enormously that I left all my previous jobs on good terms.
    Interesting footnote to it all was that after catching up with a couple of the people I thought were complete bellends at the time, some (but not all!!) turned out to be not bad people afterall, but just trying to do the best they could under difficult circumstances.

philjunior
    Free Member

Interesting footnote to it all was that after catching up with a couple of the people I thought were complete bellends at the time, some (but not all!!) turned out to be not bad people afterall, but just trying to do the best they could under difficult circumstances.

The only real bell end line manager I’ve had I’m fairly sure is not a total bell end, just totally unsuited to people management. But I’m only human so I still treat him like he’s a bell end (still in the same organisation, different dept.) – to the point that when his team were facing low workload challenges, I warned my line manager off him just in case.

br
    Free Member

I’m guessing you’re in the Public Sector, so just follow their rules and do as the rules say.

Resign correctly, and leave on the day defined.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of fuss over this, most of us have statd the most simple of tasks and delivery method.

Simple letter, dated, reason for resignation, notice period you expect to work within that period, note all holiday entitlement left/or expect to take, hand to Line Manager, cc’ HR in.

End

And enjoy the rest of the time there, and do your best to uphold your end.

gonzy
    Free Member

you need to quit?
    this is how you do it….

[video]https://youtu.be/NXOWBDgQv44[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

Where’s the picture of the cake with the resignation letter on it?

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you are struggling to uphold your end I’m sure asking an attractive co worker to do it for you will expedite your departure.

Coyote
    Free Member

Last time I did it I rang my boss out of courtesy and told him that I would be emailing my resignation. I then sent him an email confirming the call and giving the details of my last day etc. Pure fact, no emotion. It’s then up to your line manager to liaise with HR.

HTH

MoreCashThanDash

I think I have complied with their rules. Third attempt hasn’t been returned on a technicality as yet.

Union rep has just gone nuclear with the HR director about them declining my part time working request. I’m having far too much fun watching it all kick off to get much done today!

boblo
    Free Member

…to the point that when his team were facing low workload challenges…

Say whaaat?

bigblackshed

The last time I resigned, well I was made redundant but told I “must” work my notice period, it was a letter to my line manager, copied to HR, with “I resign as of this date, I will be taking my remaining holidays on these dates, my last day will be…”

Then lots of this:

br
    Free Member

Union rep has just gone nuclear with the HR director about them declining my part time working request.

I kinda assumed Public Sector when you said that they were hiring but wouldn’t let you go p/t…

philjunior
    Free Member

…to the point that when his team were facing low workload challenges…
    Say whaaat?

When they had **** all work coming in and everyone was jumping to other teams.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaah betterer. Thought there’d been a nasty outbreak of middle management made up bolleaux there for a mo….

blader1611
    Free Member

Getting pedantic about how someone is resigning sounds like a company i wouldnt like to work for, do they have a jobsworth dept?
    My last day at work after being made redundant and being the only person left other than my line manager who had the day off i was told to work till 5pm otherwise it would affect my final redundancy pay. Quick call to a pal in payroll confirmed my final pay had gone to my bank at 11.30am and within a minute i had turned the lights off and left to buy my mates lunch and a few drinks. Why do they make it awkward for people to leave, its so uneccessary.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How hard can it be to resign?’ is closed to new replies.