Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How good/bad is this – more road bike stuff – sorry!!
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Obviously NOT wanting to spend much at all on a road bike – looking around £300 ish (i know my mtb wheels cost more!!)

Is this thebest i can do NEW for £300?
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Shite groupset i know but has a decent frame and carbon fork

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Buy a 2nd hand road bike for £300.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Is that your highest budget? I have a used once Boardman Team Road bike up for £550… That is a great price!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

£300 max yes

ltheisinger
    Free Member

If you don’t ask, you don’t get. 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

The groupset isn’t too bad actually- better than on that Carrera, despite being the same range. Trickle down has really improved it.

I’d say go for it- it’ll fit right and you can try a few. How’s about you get someone who knows road bikes to go down to Decathlon with you to see you on it? I could at a weekend.

captain-slow
    Free Member

If you insist on new then at that price you probably won’t do better, but five year old second hand bikes for £200 will be better (bought my son s/h giant for £200 last summer and is spot on for the money)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Why NEW?

Buy 2nd hand. So many serial upgraders selling bikes there’s nothing wrong with. Especially just after Christmas when there’ll be loads of perfectly good bikes that have been replaced by newer, blingier ones.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s got a triple, do you want a road bike or a tourer?, looks the job otherwise

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It’s all about the legs and not so much about the bike.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I looked at one in store and it seemed ok, they’ve added mudguard/rack mounts now too. 2nd hand stuff is a bit of a gamble and takes a while to find.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

RD the tri course has 5k ft of climbing per lap and there are 2 laps so maybe a triple is good 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

luke – may VERY well take you upon that offer. I would prefer a ribble frame and carbon fork tbh but as i say budget is V.tight

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, you know where I am. I was trying to think of owt at James’s that good, but there’s nothing near that price.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

luke go onto your facebook will ya

rob-jackson
    Free Member

gonna be more than £300 tho eh david!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, you might get a bargain!

Honestly though, £300 is alot of money. Theres no harm in putting a wanted ad up on here and on bike radar. You cant really go wrong with a 2nd hand road bike (unless its a Carrera Virtuoso) since they dont get the same amount of stick a mtb does.

barn
    Free Member

Almost got that for the wife.
    Ended up chucking another £100 in and got her a Genesis Aether instead, but if you are set on “new” I’d say this is not a bad option at all for the money.

Just make sure it fits you well.

wallop

What size are you after?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

56-58cm

wallop

How tall are you?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

6ft 2, 33″ inseam

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How good/bad is this – more road bike stuff – sorry!!’ is closed to new replies.