Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • how good is three coverage generally ( including out in the sticks )
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Having seen that they now offer a SIM only 4G deal that also allows free data use in 16 other countries I’m kind of tempted but don’t want to get crap reception when I’m out and about ( live in exeter but often exploring elsewhere). Not really bothered about the 4g coverage but generally can you get a signal most places ..at least for a call / checking internet etc ? I’m currently on giffgaff ( 02 ) which is pretty good.
    your experiences / feedback would be much appreciated
    thanks
    Bill

chvck
    Free Member

I find it pretty decent in rural areas, often get HSPA. When you get proper middle of nowhere it isn’t so great but then I don’t think that any network is! I will say that their customer service is properly awful if you call them though, I use twitter to try sort out any issues now and they’re much better through that channel.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve found it generally OK, bit patch here and there but as chvck says, what company isn’t?

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I had o2 but moved to three a year ago. Three has much better coverage across the north east at least. Its brilliant being able to use it in other countries. Just spent two weeks in Sweden using data and not paying additional charges. Brilliant.

chvck
    Free Member

Just for reference the areas I’m talking about are Shropshire and mid Wales (toward the west of it)

mildred

I was with O2 from 1998 to 2011 and I’m now with 3. Personally I would never go back. My contract with 3 came to an end but my phone was fine so I went onto their ultimate sim 200 Internet deal. 200 cross network minutes, 5000 texts, 300 3 to 3 minutes & all you can eat data. £12 per month..

I’ve found coverage to be better than O2 & their customer service just as good. I don’t think there’s anyone out there better at the moment.

zippykona

I used to be 3 but one day got no signal at work and its not returned.
    Swapped to o2 and amazed at where I can get a signal. Even in the furthest reaches of our local supermarket, full bars.
    Edit, I’m in surrey.

dobo
    Free Member

Three customer service is just as bad as o2 Voda, o2 and Voda is generally good coverage but where I live is very poor but three works Ok. Best to check the coverage maps.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I used to be on O2, changed to Three, and it’s far better IMO, pretty much everywhere, and 4G is free.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I used to be with 3 and would lose coverage in areas of South Leeds that wouldn’t class as rural by any stretch of the imagination. Limited reception at home too but also had the same issues with Vodafone. With Vodafone they sent a new phone out thinking it was that before having a report done on the area then they cancelled my contract after I returned my phone. 3 on the other hand would just keep sending phones out after spending hours on their support lines going over the same routine every time. In the end I had to buy myself out of the contract, which was the term.
    Be careful before entering into a contract with them otherwise you could find it an expensive mistake. If you can get a PAYG sim to try first to ensure you don’t have any problems first.

surfdad
    Free Member

OP I’m near Exeter as well and on three. Was on giffgaff for a short while but ditched it as the coverage was rubbish.
    Very pleased with three coverage and price.
    Cheers

grum
    Free Member

Three are great for me. Get 3G almost everywhere and it’s generally pretty quick. Not so good in London for some reason.

dirtydog
    Free Member
    just5minutes
    Free Member

Three have worked pretty hard to improve coverage and service in te last few years and it’s starting to pay off – they have heaps more 3G coverage than the older networks now and their customer service is pretty good too with less complaints to ofcom than any other network:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/telecoms-complaints-june-14/

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/mobilebroadband/roadtrip

CountZero

I have an old iP4 with a 3 SIM in, and coverage on the west side of Chippenham, close to the main southern trunk route to the coast is woeful, particularly on the large industrial estate where I work, which is right next to the A350.
    I’ve actually given up using it, and next month I’ll be able to upgrade my O2 contract to one costing me £20/month with unlimited calls/texts, and 5Gb/data per month, so I’ll be ditching 3 for good.
    I’ve been told that their 4G will cover a greater area than their crappy 3G, but I’ll need to upgrade from my current main iPhone 5 to be able to do that anyway, so I’m sticking with O2; at least I know that I’ve got coverage in most of the places I usually go, unlike 3.

scotroutes

Shit in the Scottish Highlands. Stick to O2 or Vodafone

thehustler
    Free Member

I’ll be able to upgrade my O2 contract to one costing me £20/month with unlimited calls/texts, and 5Gb/data per month,

You do know three are able to ‘piggyback’ the O2 network so if you’re not getting three you wont get O2 either

timidwheeler

I’m currently in Tignes on holiday. I have unlimited data and calls here and across the border in Italy. In more remote areas (Monte Blonco glacier) the internet is slow. However it works.
    Three have given me good coverage across Europe, even in North Wales. I downloaded an entire Grand Prix in HD in a small cottage just outside Capel Curig. I used my phone to create a WIFI hotspot and downloaded it onto the laptop.
    I very rarely have poor reception.
    Except my Mum’s house in Oxford, I can’t even send a text.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘how good is three coverage generally ( including out in the sticks )’ is closed to new replies.