Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How good is Lee Quarry
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Seriously, it looks amazing but I need to know just how good it is. I'm coming up with the wife and son for a wedding in Oldham next weekend. I could wangle a good few hours riding at Lee Quarry on the Sunday but it's going to cost me quite a bit of 'political capital' so I need to know that it's worth the cost.
    It really does look fab, just need the reassurance that I won't regret the investment.

ton

i will tell you on monday night….cos me and the lad are going to lee and cragg on monday day…… 8)

wors

tell her she can get herself a new pearl necklace, it is that good!

TractorFrog
    Free Member

went for the first time last weekend, its Small, but loads of tracks to be ridden. little disappointed with the quality of signage but we made it round the red twice and stopped on the way to hit the blacks a few times. Bitch if its windy!!

robgarrioch

It might not change your life, but it's well worth some penance.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You seem to have an extra parenthesis in the referring link.

The alternative would be to make my way over to the Peak and ride something like Ladybower or Edale. I grew up there so they are home trails that I grew up riding. Lee Quarry would be new and the Peak is quite a drive from Oldham.

chorlton
    Free Member

It's well good 😀
    Just come back from the place and finished by messing about on the pump track. I'm rubbish on that. 🙁

Trampus
    Free Member

If you are going there on Sunday, be aware that Brownbacks Racing are, er, racing!

Edit: It appears that racing should be over by 1pm (ish)!

crikey
    Free Member

A wedding in Oldham? Does the Oldham Chron know, it'll be a novelty!

project
    Free Member
    CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I'm hoping to go tomorrow morning. Going park near the business park and then straight upto lee quarry.

I've never ridden up there before. I was thinking of also checking out cragg quarry and spending a few hours at each.

I know the so called link path hasn't been created between the two yet but is it possible to get over to cragg from Lee quarry? Easily enough?
    Or is it easier when finished at lee quarry, heading back to the car and driving closer to cragg?

thanks!

TonyL
    Free Member

Easy enough to ride over to Cragg over the moors if its dry and it is at the moment. Best to have an os map of the area with you. Pick up the Pennine bridleway.

Or alternativly go to the buck on Cowpe Rd and follow the bridleway up the hill. Ask for directions in the pub landlord is a mountain biker and keen to see new faces.

Signage around both quarries is poor at the moment still temporary stuff as the new signs apparently got melted when they went off for galvanising. Hopefully new signs should arive in the next couple of weeks fingers crossed!

dano
    Free Member

I don't really rate it tbh…

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Thanks Tony, how many miles are we talking to Lee from there (assuming lee, is the furthest away from the buck inn)

nbt

Buck to Cragg is about a mile, maybe a little more. Buck to Lee, is 1.5, maybe just short of 2 miles, I think.

Greg, won't be able to get Friday off work but a quick spin in Lee Quarry might be an option. Alternatively I can ask friends if we can get a ride together even closer to Oldham, Mossley way?

Big-Bud
    Free Member

its brilliant if you ride technical stuff.
    if your a bit half hearted on the black like most i come across you aint going to like it as imo the red is a waste of time.
    stick to the black runs after the new red stuff & a full lap is a heart thumping leg shaking grin on your face ride.

add a short blast up to cragg quarry & then back down for some more black .

i love this place & prefer it to any other trail centre around here.
    we are blessed with some of the most stunning natural riding so lee quarry had to be good & it is.

dont let the climb from the bottom put you off use it as a chance to recoup for whats ahead.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How good is Lee Quarry’ is closed to new replies.