Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • How good is Afan? Plus going there alone?
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

ha ha 🙂
    all the sections at Penhydd have names and the names are on wooden markers so you cant really go wrong!

mboy
    Free Member

riding on my own has never been a problem. Its the staying alone

LOL

Never worked as a consultant then? 4/5 nights a week, living out of Premier Inns… You get used to your own company!

As someone else has said, FFS, your missus is about to have a kid, your life is about to change irreversibly… She's telling you to get the flip out for the weekend, and you're worried about being on your own?!?! ROFLMAO

JEEZ

Not comfortable with yourself eh? I'll come hold your hand if you're worried… I promise I won't bite! 😉

Seriously though, do what I do at trail centres if you turn up on your own… There's always at least one other person in the carpark when you get there, just getting ready to go on a ride too. Strike up a conversation, explain its your first time there, ask if they wouldn't mind if you join them… I've made a few friends/contacts this way in the past, and have had some of my most memorable rides as a result… And you wouldn't believe how small a world it is either, trust me! A Guy I met at Llandegla a few months ago knew some people I know, and in fact I'd very nearly ended up working for the same company as him as it turned out! 2 guys I met at Cwm Carn last Easter weekend, it was their first time ever at a trail centre (both from London, had ridden the North Downs a few times, but other than that no real trails). Riding with them, and seeing the pleasure in their faces experiencing a decent trail for the first time really brought a smile to my face too. They were a right laugh too, certainly a lap of Cwm Carn with them, I'd not had as good a laugh in ages…

Go out into the world, meet people, have fun! You never know, you might like it… Besides, your missus will still be home when you return no doubt!

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and Afan is of course perfectly ridable on a hardtail… Where isn't in the UK?

BUT… IMO it's more fun on a decent full sus bike. People will have their own opinions here of course, but given the choice I'd take a fairly long travel full sus bike with biggish tyres, endure the climbs but really enjoy the downs myself. Each to their own, but that's my preference for Afan.

hora
    Free Member

Never worked as a consultant then? 4/5 nights a week, living out of Premier Inns… You get used to your own company!

GF does did that all the time on 2 week trips to China, HK, India etc. I don't think I could handle such a job.

molgrips
    Free Member

Binners, way to label an entire nation based on a few experiences you racist bugger.

Oh and Hora, visit Cwmcarn whilst you're here – it's better than Afan but there's only one man made trail.. or two if you count the fine but rideable DH course.

hora
    Free Member

molgrips, don't worry. binners is a Scouser at heart 😉

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Yeah Afan is great, and you can do it on a hardtail. It's better on a decent FS bike though. Also stop off at Cwmcarn.

Blacklug
    Free Member

If you decide to visit Cwmcarn, the two trails won`t take very long to complete. A great option may well be to send an email to the MachenMigglyMoos asking for a member to give you a guide of their excellent natural trails which are 5mins from Cwmcarn.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Final descents of skyline with all those rock steps to clatter over or jump off – suspension is very welcome. Otherwise, I recall it being fairly smooth with manageable rocky bits on a HT. Personally I'd take my FS and ride a bit faster.

As for riding alone – I do it all the time – just go carefully and hold back with the downhills sections.

hora
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear- Im referring to riding alone!

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Oh and Hora, visit Cwmcarn whilst you're here – it's better than Afan but there's only one man made trail…

I'm assuming you ride natural stuff around there too then? I personally don't reckon the Twrch trail comes close to any of Afan's trails.

Drac

I love Afan already planned for later this year the last couple of days, not sure why you need spare pads though if it's wet can't say I've worn any out there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

what llamafarmer said – Afan much better for XC.

hora
    Free Member

Although not a DH'er or even close- whats good for techie trails?

In general- how does Afan compare to say the Ewok village/Deliverance and other parts of the black at Glentress?

Sounds daft but Glentress is actually closer to me- I was thinking of how good Afan is compared to Glentress/Inners.

Say if it was equal distance to either?

Drac

Hora, GT is a 1hr 30 mins from me I prefer Afan it has a more natural feel to it, flows better feels more like being out in the hills rather than following a track. I've been to Afan about 4 times the last 5 years, I've not been to GT at all supposed to be there Sunday but really don't fancy it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Afan is just like Glentress IMO, only the hills aren't as big, and there's less woodwork.

jimster
    Free Member

Don't understand what the problem is – a weekend away at Afan, 4 trails – Penhydd worth doing at least twice IMO.

Ideal weekend – Penhydd, W2, lunch at drop-off then ride back.

Maybe do Skyline, the Wall and finish off with Penhydd.

You'll be fine with a HT.

Karinofnine

I go away by myself with my caravan, it's fun. People almost always come and talk to you, or you can go talk to them. Hundreds (probably thousands) of people stay alone in hotels/b&b/guesthouses for all kinds of reasons, no-one will turn a hair if you're alone.

Only thing I won't do is go to a pub for a meal alone – I don't think there's any point, because part of eating out for me is company and chat so I just buy food from a supermarket and cook it in the caravan as usual – or get a takeaway.

MrGreedy

Come to Dales bike centre instead. The locals might not be any more intelligible, but I guarantee the beer and cake will be better. (Plus I will be marginally less of a billy no mates)

hitman
    Free Member

Hora
    I used to ride Afan loads as its my part of the world. As most people have said, there's enough there for a weekends riding and its probably the best trail centre in Wales. The short cut on Penhydd given in one of the first posts is spot on – take this and you'll also avoid the wetest and sandiest bit of the trail, which is what wears everyone's brake pads! If you do the Penhydd as a warm-up then ride either the Wall or Whites next or even join the two together. Skyline is a longer proposition but has short cuts which are quite obvious. Don't forget also that there's loads of riding in the South Wales area, all a short distance from one another. If youi look at the trail centre maps you'll see that Cwm Carn is just a short blast up to Newport and Brechfa down near where I live is again not far away. There's also loads of natural riding in the area.

Oh and don't worry about riding alone – I do it all the time and so do lots of others. Saying that if you want me to show you around Brechfa, email me and I'll be happy to. Have fun 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

They're actually named rather than numbered, so no problems there. If doing the Penhydd, and you fancy another loop, you can cut out the final descents(and the long climb from the start)by sticking to the fire road instead of taking the left fork just after passing the sign for Nant Herbert ruins.
    Also worth noting if doing The Wall, you can avoid miles of needless cycle trail along the valley and back by going virtually straight on as you pass under the road bridge(descent signed-cyclists dismount), crossing the river bridge and following the fire road up, turning right at the top.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How good is Afan? Plus going there alone?’ is closed to new replies.