• This topic has 46 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How good are Kia Rios + (General First car buying advice )
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking for my first car and I have a budget of £2400 and ideally a diesel because of the amount of motorway driving I’ll be doing down south.

Anyway after getting some insurance quotes my insurance is over 500 (annual) cheaper than a corsa and a fiesta. The kia rio I am looking at has great service history and I can get a good deal on it.

My biggest question is generally are kias reliable cars? Any known faults with the Rio? Anyone has one.

I can spend a little more but I don’t want to spend to much on my first motor, thanks and advice is welcome.

cdoc
    Free Member

Had one as a courtesy car while the c’eed was repaired after a bump and rather liked it. Much preferred it to my friends corsa of a similar age. Was only a weeks test, though.
    Otherwise, our kia has been great, as have the dealers.

Edit: it was a 1.4cdi I think. Pulled far better than expected on the motorway.

beefheart
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about the Rio, but I’ve had a Kia as a work car for the last year and it’s been good.
    35k miles and all it’s had is tyres and routine servicing. It does seem to eat front tyres though.
    I’d actually buy one with my own money.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts on kia, the rio I’m looking at has only done 36 k with full service history two owners and I can pick it up for £2300.

CountZero

I don’t know much about the Rio, but Kia cars have always had long warranty periods, and are generally pretty reliable, AFAIK.
    The little Hyundai i10 might be worth a look at as well, I’ve driven several, and I’ve got one out front at the moment, it’s a comfy little car, goes well, not sure about economy, but as a compact car that’s quite a lot of fun to drive, it’s worth looking at as an alternative.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Correction the car has actually had five owners.

Is this cause of concern for a car that’s only covered 30k odd miles?

5lab

Depends a bit how old it is. Its not a good sign, thats for sure, it just might not be a bad one either

5lab

Depends a bit how old it is. Its not a good sign, thats for sure, it just might not be a bad one either

poolman
    Free Member

I think the rio and i10 are similar cars, or share the same engines and chassis. The huyundai eqiv are better specced, hence the higher price tag.

I d avoid a 5 owner used car, if u dont like it it will soon become 6 and that would kill resale.

Kia are fine, i ve had one 3 years now not missed a beat. Plastics in trim are cheap but the engines are fine. Seats are actually v comfortable.

Look at older yarises, ours has been bombproof in 15 years of ownership

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Depends a bit how old it is. Its not a good sign, thats for sure, it just might not be a bad one either.

I agree the car is a 09 but only done 30k odd and I wonder how it’s had so many owners but so little miles for the age of the car.

damascus
    Free Member

Lots of owners to me suggests that the car has issues and they’ve sold it on as they couldn’t fix it. It may also be 8 or 9 years old and people have just upgraded after 2 years and it’s a bargain?

Take it for a long hard test drive over bumps etc and on the motorway see if you can hear anything or signs it has issues. Check the panels line up and it’s not been bumped and repaired.

jonnyboi

You can also check the MOT history online if you have the Reg number

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

rockchic
    Free Member

Clocking of used cars is pretty common.8 year old ! 30k miles ! 5 owners ! Although the Rio could be looked upon as an old folks car.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My sister had a 2010 Kia Rio last year – it was cheap to insure and its mileage was also only around 30k with 4 owners by the time she sold it. They are popular with the elderly, a lot of them have low mileage and this, and the number of owners, wouldn’t concern me. Because they’re cheap and cheerful people buy them if they only do a few miles a year. They also tend to be meticulously maintained.

As a car, they aren’t especially nice. They’re basic inside and feel like a car five or ten years older but they’re cheap, perfectly comfy and very reliable. If you’re not interested in cars or driving they’re a good choice.

benp1

A friend has had a Kia Rio since new, it’s been pretty trouble free, she’s had it at least 5 years now

Personally, having comes from most recently from German cars, it feels a bit tinny. And the interior is very plasticky. Long motorway drives wouldn’t be the most fun.

It should be reliable though, 5 owners is high…

Personally I’d go older, slightly bigger and look for something with cruise – Civic, 308, Focus

applesandoranges
    Free Member

You can also check the MOT history online if you have the Reg number

Thanks I have and it has one fail which was for the washer unit for the wind screen.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Lots of owners to me suggests that the car has issues and they’ve sold it on as they couldn’t fix it. It may also be 8 or 9 years old and people have just upgraded after 2 years and it’s a bargain?

Take it for a long hard test drive over bumps etc and on the motorway see if you can hear anything or signs it has issues. Check the panels line up and it’s not been bumped and repaired.

Ill make sure I get a test drive only issue is car is over 200 miles away and I need to pay for a family members and myself train ticket as I won’t be insured to drive it back. I need to see if I can estimate the risk properly because I don’t want to waste a day off and over 100 quid for a dodgey motor. But your advice is very helpful I will keep that in mind.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

As a car, they aren’t especially nice. They’re basic inside and feel like a car five or ten years older but they’re cheap, perfectly comfy and very reliable. If you’re not interested in cars or driving they’re a good choice.

Thanks that’s all very helpful. Yeah I honestly am one of those people who don’t care what they drive as long as it runs well and is a decent motor. I’m much more of a two wheel type.

thomthumb
    Free Member

rio is a lot bigger than an i10 isn’t it?

Not sure you’d get a bike in an i10 easily; rio no problem (seats down, fr wheel off.)

collegue has a rio – been no trouble at all. comforatble ride as a passenger; pulls ok. Haven’t driven it myself…

applesandoranges
    Free Member

A friend has had a Kia Rio since new, it’s been pretty trouble free, she’s had it at least 5 years now

Personally, having comes from most recently from German cars, it feels a bit tinny. And the interior is very plasticky. Long motorway drives wouldn’t be the most fun.

It should be reliable though, 5 owners is high…

Personally I’d go older, slightly bigger and look for something with cruise – Civic, 308, Focus

Id love a bigger car only issue for me would be insurance which is why for my first car I’m not particularly looking for anything bigger than a super mini. The Rio has very low insurance costs even a considerable amount lower than a 1. 3 corsa for me of around the same value.

I think I’d much rather have a car that is lower miles and newer that is very basic and boring th than a car that is a better model with more miles and even older because of my budget.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I don’t have a clue what to do very 50 50 from your feedback and same when I asked colleagues at work.

Do I risk paying 100 quid of Mt overall budget and a day off to test drive it or do I leave it because of the amount of owners.

I suppose other good deals will pop up, hmm.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

rio is a lot bigger than an i10 isn’t it?

Not sure you’d get a bike in an i10 easily; rio no problem (seats down, fr wheel off.)

collegue has a rio – been no trouble at all. comforatble ride as a passenger; pulls ok. Haven’t driven it myself…

Yup I wouldnt even consider a i10 simply because of that reason, a i10 is about the same as my mother’s c1 from lookingb and my orange five needs to be hanging out of the boot of the c1 lol.

Also those small cars are really awkward to get bike racks for and often need specialcalised ones that to me I wouldn’t trust a 4 k bike on.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There will be one local to you. Have you checked Autotrader and Gumtree?

applesandoranges
    Free Member

There will be one local to you. Have you checked Autotrader and Gumtree?

Yeah I’ve been checking Gumtree, eBay and AT. There is but I don’t know why but I can’t seem to find anything near as good as down south.

My brother was the same when he was looking for his fiesta and when comparing the fiesta he was looking at locally which was pretty much the same one as he got, the one loyally was around £700 more and it was the same year with slightly more miles.

I think if you want the best you can get for a budget travelling is the only option unless you get lucky as I have done with my bike

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Think I’ll let it go based on what I’ve heard.

superstu
    Free Member

As others have said it’s often an older persons car and therefore ee multiple owners combined with low mileage wouldn’t bother me. We have two Kia’s and very happy with both. Far more reliable than the golf it replaced!

applesandoranges
    Free Member

As others have said it’s often an older persons car and therefore ee multiple owners combined with low mileage wouldn’t bother me. We have two Kia’s and very happy with both. Far more reliable than the golf it replaced!

Thanks, would you say it is a good price or should I try to haggle a bit more.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Update I’ve made a offer for it waiting for seller to respond.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Update! I never ended up getting this car as it was sold before hand.

However what would you say this is worth for a estimate?/

06 kia Rio crdi 1. 4 diesel that’s done 26, 800 k two previous owners (including current dealer) good contion (no damage with service history?

Seller wants 1570 for it I was thinking more of 14-15 tops.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Try 1400 and see what they say. Be happy with something less than 1500.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s not alot of miles for an old car which is not a good thing.

Suggests lots of standing interspersed with short trips.

Nether good for a car.

I’d buy a newer one with more miles that been used regularly.

sbob
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Nether good for a car.
    😆
    Service schedules are to mileage or age so low mileage is really not a problem.
    Most reliable car I’ve owned was bought for peanuts at 15yrs old and 35,000 miles.
    OP: don’t be put off by lower miles as long as the servicing is to schedule.
    Let others buy the more worn out cars, good for them! 🙂

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Service schedules are to mileage or age so low mileage is really not a problem.
    Most reliable car I’ve owned was bought for peanuts at 15yrs old and 35,000 miles.
    OP: don’t be put off by lower miles as long as the servicing is to schedule.
    Let others buy the more worn out cars, good for them!

Yeah apparently the first owner was elderly which would probably explain it. From checking mot history first owner averaged around two thousand miles a year.

Yeah I think I’d much rather go for a older car with less miles that’s got good evidence it’s been looked after than a newer car with more miles I think 🙂

I can easily do, 10 k a year aswell with me constantly driving down south so lower miles I think would be a big benefit 🙂

Thanks for your help mate:)

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Nether good for a car.

I’d buy a newer one with more miles that been used regularly.

Suppose but the far has just been serviced with full service history and the first owner was apparently elderly.

It is something worth to take on board tho definitely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i missed the part where regular servicing sorted out seals that had perished from lack of lubrication and use…..

but feel free to keep the confirmation bias as you quite smuggly put it the other day.

but **** it – not my car i dont have to change out the seals when the time comes (ive worked on many an old low milage car with these issue , none of them owned by me thankfully so i could charge )

Mostly fords though – but lesser of two evils with them – high milage+old = rust – low miles+old = leaky seals

FuzzyWuzzy

I can see they’d be popular second cars so I wouldn’t worry too much about low mileage for the age

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Try 1400 and see what they say. Be happy with something less than 1500.

I’ve just messaged him with two offers one for1450 and one for 1500, and this guy is sticking to his guns and wants 1570. He’s a small dealer tho so god only knows how much he paid for it.

What do you think I should do? I know it’s a good car but 1570 is steep for a 12 year old motor for me. Hmm then again cars like this are hard to find to.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

PS can maybe some of you follow this thread as it helps me out a lot and I’ll kep it going until I find a car. Also could be useful for other inexperienced car buyers I guess.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why do you feel its worth less without even looking at it ? its a pet hate of mine when people start trying to negotiate without seeing the *highly variable* product…. its not a pint of milk , even the same age/milage and service history does not make comparible vehicles.

As i said the other day before someone tried to call me out on it .

from looking for anotehr circa 8-10 year old car for the wife the market really has shrunk due to the fact that many dealers are offering discounts calling them scrappage schemes (but nothing more than guaranteed trade in values , they are no government backed scrappage schemes) alot of the good quality used cars(that have been peoples pride and joy rather than a 27 owner abused bucket) at this age are being hoovered up away from the private market and are going through auction back onto small used car dealers at a mark up…..

privately that rio would be about 800 quid ill bet- by the time he pays auction fees , checks it out and sticks on the warrenty(not cheap on an old car) he has to give by law – and a mark up…..

applesandoranges
    Free Member

why do you feel its worth less without even looking at it ? its a pet hate of mine when people start trying to negotiate without seeing the *highly variable* product…. its not a pint of milk , even the same age/milage and service history does not make comparible vehicles.

I Type same model and make of car with similar miles same year history and owners etc, click completed items on websites such as Gumtree and eBay, shows cars similar That have been sold within the last year, work out the average of the sale price, and that’s the going rate to the buyer and I use this tactic for a lot of things I buy and is pretty reliable for around 10-15% of the going rate.

Also I am assuming that this car is in fantastic condition so I think I am checking honorably.

This carcould achieve that price but I do think from what I’ve seen that this car is priced at the higher end of its worth.and as we all do I simply want the best deal I can get for what I have to spend. I also need to consider travelling expenses and so I need to work out if it’s worth it for me before even going to. View the car.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How good are Kia Rios + (General First car buying advice )’ is closed to new replies.