Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How fussy are you about frames?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’m pretty open to a lot of different components (both manufacturers and models), but for some reason, my “would like to own” list of frames gets shorter every year. There are some bikes I won’t even consider despite the fact I’ve never actually ridden them 😕

Anyone else have some sort of weird mental block stopping them spending cash on all but a handful of frames?

I only realised this today when I was skimming the classifieds and noticed that I only ever look at ads for a small number of frames.

racefaceec90

yes (will never look at 29″ frames 😉 to be honest,haven’t really thought about it till now.all my mtb’s have been from the major brands (dawes,marin,specialized,cannondale,giant)to my current charge bike.

rOcKeTdOg

I only look at 29er stuff and cx bikes atm, cant afford either tho, so just window shopping

Edukator
    Free Member

The mtb frame I’ve ridden lots recently cost 49e from Fizzbikes. It’s 2.1kg of anonymous brushed aluminium. I bought it because it has rack mounts and have grown to like it to the point it gets ridden more than the branded stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

Lots of frames go for more than they are worth and lots go for the opposite as they are not the ‘in’ brands.

eg Inbreds have always held their value very well – it’s a cheap frame that not so long ago was £134 yet you see them fetching £100+ on ebay and £80-100 on here. I guess On Ones poor supply and cheap initial price help keep the depreciation to a minimum.

Yet another British brand – Merlin who have very good kinesis made aluminium frames don’t get the recognition. I have had an inbred and now have a C456, a 29er scandal and a Merlin Malt 2 and I have to say the Merlin is the nicest finished of all of them all, both in construction and that it is powder coated from new. It is also the same geometry as the Rock Lobster frames which have a good reputation as being nicely handling frames.

GW
    Free Member

massively fussy, so much so that if I snapped any one of my most ridden bikes’ frames tomorrow I’d replace it with exactly the same frame. (and none are even current model)

duntstick
    Free Member

I have a few niche frames………..I check out what’s happening with Giant.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just got and built a £155 framset off rutlands. Nameless, came with carbon forks, carbon seatpost, seat collar, headset.. Bargain. Also own a Ribble. And a Santa Cruz.

There’s lots of different frames out there, so for any specific job there’s going to be a few options. Might as well go for either the cheapest or the one that looks the best.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Not fussy on the brand of frame but I wouldnt really buy an xc whippet bike because it really wouldn’t suit my riding. I did manage to get my dad a really good pretty new Marin frame for my old man for about £30 thanks to Marins not being fashionable.

peterfile
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s a point, I doubt I could ever own a Marin. Even if it harnessed limitless energy kinetically from falling magpie shite and it’s braking system was so powerful that the earth jolted on its axis every time you slowed down, causing lots of water buffalo in Africa to fall in a lagoon and get eaten by crocodiles.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d consider buying a frame from any bike company, but not every bike company makes a frame I’d want to buy.

binners

My ambition is to own ALL the frames! Every single last one of them ever built

Oops… sorry…. thought I was somebody else there for a minute

As you were

thomthumb
    Free Member

cannondale would have to do something pretty special to make me interested.

I have no idea why but i wouldn’t go anywhere near them.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Of course! Not only does the frame have to be virtually guaranteed to make me ride like Steve Peat, but it also has to appeal to my sense of aesthetics.

I bought my Wolf Ridge on the strength of the shape of the medium sized frame and I was ever so put out to discover that the proportions of the size large are all wrong.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How fussy are you about frames?’ is closed to new replies.