• This topic has 61 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • How fast you been and where?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Haven’t been above 40 since then.

I feel like that most often. Though it felt a little safer in the Pyrenees!
    Downloaded my Garmin data and the supposed 100km converted to 53.3mph. That said day one descending in a downpour at 39mph was a lot faster in my head.

You really need a good run out, favouring winds and no loose clothing.

tang
    Free Member

They let me ride down the tumble after the TOB the other week with the team cars. Chasing OPQS with the net app bus behind was the fastest I’ve been in a long time. Pretty scary but good fun!

_tom_
    Free Member

About 45mph down a hill near where I live, they’re not even that big. I’d love to ride down the Burway @ the long mynd on my road bike.

Scapegoat

47 mph on a hardtail down Ripponden Bank, and 50.2 mph down Round Ings at Scapegoat Hill on a road bike.

Pridds

87 kph coming down great Dunn fell on Saturday. Was ace.

somafunk

Fastest recorded was 53.1 mph on my fungrel

This is how it looked at the time, pretty ugly eh?. That’s why i christened it the F’kin Ugly moNGREL, It looks very different now

The only reason i managed 53.1 mph was the fact that i tried to brake for a corner at 45 mph and i soon had brake fade right back to the bars, i then got a speed wobble (Ti skewer – my fault) as the braking bumps on the outside of my lane shimmied through the forks which forced me to drift into the oncoming lane on one of two sweeping blind corners whilst still clinging to the bull horns, the one thing to go through my mind was I’m not wearing gloves , as if that would’ve made any difference at 50+mph, the cessation of speed at 3.35 is due to me needing to take a few minutes to compose myself once i reached sea level, before i had to stop again a few minutes later as the adrenaline and energy slumped after climbing a teeny hill.

The fastest i’ve been on a bike, and possibly the second closest i’ve came to a stupid death (if any vehicle were to come the other way).

pondo

Did a charity ride up and down the Tumble a few times, clocked 57mph on the Garmin a couple of times – just a matter of getting as aero as I could, didn’t run out of road, just could not go any faster down there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

77.5kph down the Lindis Pass in New Zealand, carrying 40kg of luggage on my Cindercone. Backed off as I was cutting a blind corner into the oncoming traffic to keep it smooth.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

having spent 3 summers working in Provence I managed to get to 128kph down the north side of mtn Ventoux, the section is from ski station and its 12% for a KM and straight… never going that fast again ,properly Sh*t me up!

tonyg2003

Fastest UK was 55mph heading into Brighton on the London-Brighton a few years ago (though 1 never checked when I road raced). Coming down the Glandon (coming past the lake) this year I had to keep touching the breaks at 50mph. Probably the fastest descent I’ve done in the Alps.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

49 mph on the Dartmoor Classic a couple of years ago. I’m in the Midlands so the roads and hills round here mean the opportunities to get up to that sort of speed often are pretty limited.

Oddly when I’ve been at a much higher than usual speed it rarely feels like it. And whenever I find myself thinking “Christ that was fast” it usually isn’t that fast. Must be the narrowness of the roads or something.

Markend
    Free Member

Fastest for me was 47mpbh in Morzine this year down here:

[video]http://youtu.be/qhjDi1O0A34[/video]

OmarLittle
    Free Member

65 going down the Tourmalet – good surface and good visibility but even more importantly a really good descender in front who i could follow down.

Fastest ive been in the UK is the String Road in Arran – the top section going towards Brodick its relatively easy to get mid 50s. Just after the fast section there is a little rise so you can scrub off a lot of that speed before the corner.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Managed 59.5 mph coming down Longridge Fell near Preston (short n steep run down the Jeffrey Hill side), with a 90 degree left and then a t-junction at the bottom. At the tender age of 16 on my dad’s ancient road bike, no lid or lycra or glasses. I had to sit down for a bit at the bottom till my hands stopped shaking.

On reflection it might be the daftest thing I’ve ever done but I remember the adrenaline high like it was yesterday

benp1

I did 43mph without any major pedalling on the WRT in Mid Wales in May this year – Spesh Hardrock with bikepacking kit attached

It felt lovely. In hindisght I should have tried a bit harder!

ffej
    Free Member

52mph down from the top of Hartside in Cumbria on the Coast to Coast many many years ago on a rigid Claud Butler MTB with slicks, a rear rack and pannier.

Think I managed 48 on the FS in Hexhamshire with offroad tyres on.

Jeff

Sui
    Free Member

Markend, i had a 48 down that FML this year as well. the bike gets a proper wobble on, and the drainage ditches make it interesting!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

75kmph down this local segment.

Philby

Just over 50 mph down Dundry Hill on the road towards Chew Magna.

Best on a MTB was on a crappy hardtail Giant on an organised cycle tour of Jordan. The road was 6-7 miles long with long sweeping curves, great visibility, good surface and no traffic – was being followed by van supporting the group who were impressed I was going over 60 kph in parts. Arrived at the bottom about 15 minutes before the rest of the group. Would love to have done that road on a road bike.

LeeW

I managed 70.9mph coming down Cadair Idris in November Las year, I couldn’t see anything my eyes were watering so much. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the Garmin file. It’s the one ride I don’t delete when clearing recorded rides.

On a MTB it’s probably something far tamer like mid to high 30’s as I’m a) a mincer and b) not that fussed with going down hill on it, I prefer ups.

martymac

Holy crap . . .

simmy
    Free Member

47 mph on the Orange, Chorley Old Road dropping down from Bob Smithy to McDonalds at Midnight.

If any nutter from Johnson Fold had pulled out it would have been game over.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘How fast you been and where?’ is closed to new replies.