• This topic has 61 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • How fast you been and where?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Where abouts have you reached really fast speeds on a bike?
    Just used a Garmin in the mountains for the first time and was surprised how slow some drops were, okay bearing in mind the roads where open but it was the corners that killed it. each days fastest was about 75kph in the dry and low 60’s kph in the pouring rain. But none of these compare with 60 mph plus claims.
    I did just once record just under 100kph but I cant see how I could find 25kph extra so I’m dismissing that one.

Ventoux is meant to be a place to reach crazy speeds…anyone

zippykona

42mph down Battery Hill in Fairlight. On a slicked up mtb .

flashes
    Free Member

45mph in the lakes, on a Pugsley, we had to ride up that hill on the way back……

RoterStern
    Free Member

Fastest I have managed is 100kmh coming down the road from Hoch Fügen to Fügen in Ziilertal, Austria on my mountainbike. Absolutely sh@t myself. 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

48.2 mph offroad down Drum mountain

Lowey overtook me – which means he weighs more than me 😉

bspoked
    Free Member

42mph on a full rigid Univega with Tioga Factory DH 2.1s down the road at Sutton Bank when I was 16.

I’ve been faster on a road bike many times since, but nailing cars up the inside into the hairpin on what was left of a set of Shimano Alivio v-brake pads is a memory that I will never forget.

jonjones262
    Free Member

55mph down llanberis passvwhen I was 15in 1992. I was on my rigid marin bearvalley se with canti brakes.

No helmet. … overtook a Mercedes, it was ace

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

60.6mph on the road bike coming down off jubilee tower near Lancaster, Lancashire. Helped there was a howling tailwind though 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Coming down I reached 75.3kph I tried everything, but it stayed glued at 75.3kph. That’s off Port De bales into Luchon.

kilo

47 down a hill, Coomanaspic, in Kerry. Wasn’t trying for a high speed so more is achievable on that one 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

40mph+ is achievable for long sections down snakes pass, the problem is that even in 52-12 85rpm* is ‘only’ 32mph, beyond which you’re tucking.

*Ok some people can pedal smoothly upto 120rpm, but at those speeds I’m not wanting to wobble much!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Coming down I reached 75.3kph I tried everything, but it stayed glued at 75.3kph. That’s off Port De bales into Luchon.

That is seriously quick. I managed 72mph on a smooth road descent near Morzine. Got to the bottom and thought it felt a bit fast so I hit the top speed button on my bike computer and there it was. I didnt zero the tripmeter on the thing for two years.

oldgit
    Free Member

That is seriously quick

kph

thebrowndog
    Free Member

That is seriously quick
    kph

Ah …

brooess
    Free Member

Willy-waving time?

49mph down Dunmail Raise into the 30mph limit in Grasmere. The bike would’ve gone faster but I bottled it.

Personal best without the (direct) aid of a motor: 120mph downwards when I used to skydive

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

55mph coming down the Col du Lautaret with five other lads. That was brilliant. Got 53mph in the peaks a couple weeks ago, had to ride like a hooligan to achieve it.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

61.4 down billinge hill nr Wigan a couple of weeks ago, 3rd try to break into the 60’s with falling shy by a tad, im done with it now 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

52.4mph in the Pyrenees in July.
    Still some way to go, as I want to hit 100kph, but haven’t found the right decent in the right weather with enough bottle yet!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

70kph on a Nevis Range fire road one WC day.

35mph, something like that. *skid*

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

On my last race 2 weeks ago in fife I clocked 76.4kph. That looks similar towns to what I hit descending in Lanzarote in January – and that’s in full tuck position.

rene59
    Free Member

Only 38mph for me down a fire road, that felt more than fast enough thank you.

DickBarton

Many many years ago (about 20!), a group of 4 of us were riding round the Trossachs, 2 had ‘calibrated’ computers (one was in a serious road club and the bike had been set up specifically and the computer had also been set up- he then took it on the recognised 10 mile TT course and got 10 miles on it…so he claimed it was calibrated)…anyway, we were chasing down some cars on the way into Aberfoyle and at the bottom his computer claimed 66mph.

Absolute rubbish as there was no way we were doing 66mph…we overtook every car on the way down but given most cars don’t go over 30-35mph I find it impossible to believe we did 66mph.

However, due to the extreme testing he went to to ensure it was ‘calibrated’, I do enjoy telling the tale…utter mince but the computer did claim it.

kcr
    Free Member

Around 55 mph on the mountain descent to Douglas, IOM (RR bunch and solo TT). I believe Boardman topped 60 mph when he set his TT record.
    There are relatively few places in the UK where you can get a long, uninterrupted descent with enough altitude loss to get really high speeds.

kcr
    Free Member

I agree about the Trossachs descent; don’t think you would get anywhere near 66mph on that.

jonba
    Free Member

50mph, somewhere near Bellingham (the vomit) in Northumbria. Very rare that I get above 45 as in the UK by the time I hit that sort of speed there is a corner coming and you need to brake. Also it scares me witless. I remember this occasion because it is the only time I’ve gone to 50mph.

I hit 70km/h in the Ballentyne road race and still got dropped going down the hill so some people were going faster.

crazy-legs

62mph on a descent in the Alps. Had just over 60mph on a (tailwind-assisted) descent in the Trough of Bowland once but that was terrifying – bumpier roads. The Alps were made for that sort of speeding though. We did still have the local French roadies overtaking us though then airbraking into the corners – full on tuck for the straights, sit up before the bend then whip round it and back into the tuck.

I don’t really try pushing much above 50mph now unless I absolutely know the road. Can easily get well into the 40’s on pretty much any road ride round here but once it starts nudging 50mph, I’ll usually back it off. Old age. 😉

superfli
    Free Member

49.5mph down butser hill. Rigid or maybe ht back in early 90’s. Chainrings were bigger back then, as was my bottle

binners

45 mph offroad. I’m presuming it’s the same descent down Drum Mountain as JY and Lowey. It’s a right old laugh, that descent! The view out to sea, as you’re barrelling down, cackling like a maniac, is spectacular 😀

matt_outandabout

I think I used my top gear in August 2004. Just the once mind.

stoney
    Free Member

This was down Newlands towards Buttermere during the Townened Challenge 2013.

60mph down Dunmail Raise, 55mph down Semnoz towards Annecy and a few other place with fairly high speds…

Off road….

38mph off the side of Grizdale pike 😛 (the grassy bit) and 45mph off the northern side of Blencathra (Foule Crag) in the icey snow when it went a wee bit wrong!!!! 😥

JAG

OK – I did 52mph down the A361 from Mullacott Cross to Station Road in Ilfracombe – in the wet 😯

I also hit 38mph off-road, in the dry, in the Peak District somewhere near Mam Tor but I can’t tell you the name of the spot 😳

seadog101

50.1 mph, on a Marin Eldridge Circa 1994. Down a very steep hill on road, wind assisted. Scared witless.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

68mph down Dunmail Raise according to my Garmin. The guy I was with topped out about 44mph before braking and I’d left him way behind. I was spun out, proper tucked, couldn’t really see anything, bricking it and trying really hard not to brake.

Next time I’m determined to take it easy because a crash at that speed would likely be serious. Unfortunately I’m also determined to break the national speed limit on my bike so we’ll see what happens!

Just checked the Garmin, it was actually 66.3mph.

wilburt
    Free Member

87.5kph Kop Hill into Princes Risborough Dec 2013 wet, sketchy, scary.

Duggan

Having bought a road bike at the start of the year I naively thought I’d easily be able to nail speeds of 60mph or something but the most I’ve done is 46mph and I seem to spin the gear out then, so not sure I could go much faster tbf.

martymac

62mph, recorded on a calibrated (by tyre roll out) cateye computer.
    Down a 14% gradient on the A689 near alston, with serious wind assistance.
    Fastest i have gone at any other time has been around 45-50mph, this felt a LOT faster.
    The accuracy of the device is of course questionable.
    I remember the look on a car drivers face going the other way, he looked genuinely shocked.
    Fully rigid marin eldridge, semi loaded, total weight (rider, bike, kit) around 18 stone.
    Wouldn’t fancy it on a road bike tbh, road surface not that smooth.

banjax34
    Free Member

197.3mph but it was on a runway (woodbridge,suffolk) and on a Suzuki Hayabusa, if it hadn’t started raining halfway through the run i would have cracked the 200mph, i will be forever gutted !! 😥

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

44 MPH on the road bike down Ashurst Beacon near Wigan,it’s fast enough when all that’s ‘protecting’ me is lycra!
    150 MPH on my FZ750,with witnesses can’t say where..

onehundredthidiot

107kph (66mph)in the alps, doubted it but oh showed 59mph.

langylad
    Free Member

56mph down the less steep side of pendle hill. didn’t feel any faster than the normal early 40’s that are fairly routine around these parts.
    Fellow cyclist at work asked me what i would have done if one of the many sheep on this bit of road had wandered onto the tarmac. Haven’t been above 40 since then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘How fast you been and where?’ is closed to new replies.