How fast do you know you are running?

Home Forum Bike Forum How fast do you know you are running?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How fast do you know you are running?
  • Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Have you got a watch?

Jamie

Go on Google maps, work out a set distance, and then time yourself running it. For this you can use a watch, or just check the time on the cooker on the way out/way in.

That should give you a rough idea of what pace your going at.

….and running outdoors is simply harder.

lotto

Yes I have an analogue watch.

gears_suck

If you’re knackered before you’re done with your run, slow down a bit. It has nothing to do with how fast you’re going and everything to do with your output. Surely you can judge how you’re feeling and compare that to how far you have left in your route?
    The more you run, the easier it’ll get to guage your effort.
    I wouldn’t concern myself with speed. Particularly if I was running alone. If you plan on joining an organised group, start with the intermediates and work to advance. You must be relatively fit because 10mph for 40 mins even on a treadmill isn’t to bad.

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

Have you got a smartphone?

Most phones will have a timer

lotto

I’ve started to run a bit recently for more rounded fitness. I started off in the gym and I could comfortably set the treadmill at 10 kph with 3 % incline and go for 40 minutes. I always felt though I was just jumping on the spot? So with the arrival of spring I’ve started running outdoors. There is no noticeable incline on my route,but after around 20 minutes I am blowing really hard and by 40 minutes I’m near walking speed. I think I’m setting off at a good lick and this is my downfall. How do you pace yourself? I’ve no Garmin /GPS for the bike as I use a Cateye so that’s out,neither do I have a smartphone. Or is running outdoors simply harder?

stumpy01

Running on a treadmill is loads easier than actually on the road, although the fact you have been running on a gradient will make up for that.

It does take a while to learn your pacing. To start with, i would take it a bit easier at the start and ramp the pace up through the run depending on how you feel.

chudsy

Try pacing yourself using your breathing rate; 4 pace breathing for a easier run or 3 pace breathing for a quicker and harder run. I use this as I have SVT, which makes using a heart monitor a bit pointless. On a treadmill the machine is doing some of the work moving your feet backwards, not you going forwards.

Jamie

Have you got a smartphone?

😀

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

When I use a treadmill it feels a lot fast than when I run outdoors. When I measure and time my outdoor runs I’m usually quite a bit faster, by about 5-10%, than running on the ‘mill.

TurnerGuy

and running in the morning is harder…

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

gps. analyse the data after then you’ll get a sense for future ref.

boblo

10kph not 10mph… Taking a cooker round with you will certainly give you a work out…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How fast do you know you are running?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top