Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How fast are hailstones moving when they hit the ground?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Anyone?

andytherocketeer

0 m/s ?

Klunk
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

Just before they hit the ground the fastest they would probably be travelling is the terminal velocity of a smooth sphere with the average diameter of what you are currently experiencing.

One thing I would imagine alters it significantly is cross wind which could have an effect due to aerodynamics and any spinning etc.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

These ones

did more damage to American equipment (aircraft mostly) than the Taliban managed in ten years. One RAF plane was flown back to the UK and found to be so badly damaged it was scrapped.

scaredypants

andytherocketeer – Member
    0 m/s ?

😀

BoardinBob

I can tell you that in 4th year at school when doing cross country running for PE in the depths of winter, hailstones skelping off your thighs are bloody sore.

GrahamS

“Come to Siberia” they say, “The weather is lovely for the beach” they said:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF-gTLGL7Gg[/video]

GrahamS

China gets it pretty bad too. Nine people killed and 300 injured:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6KEubMMDoE[/video]

MrNice
    Free Member

I can tell you that in 4th year at school when doing cross country running for PE in the depths of winter, hailstones skelping off your thighs are bloody sore.

it was bloody sore having them bounce off my face yesterday morning come to that

mogrim

They’re lovely when you’re on your motorbike, too.

Just before they hit the ground the fastest they would probably be travelling is the terminal velocity of a smooth sphere with the average diameter of what you are currently experiencing.

One thing I would imagine alters it significantly is cross wind which could have an effect due to aerodynamics and any spinning etc.

They’ll probably be going a bit faster than the terminal velocity of a smooth sphere, as they’ll accelerate the column of air they’re falling in.

mactheknife

I don’t know the exact speed but the pain they inflict when caught in a hailstorm and they are smashing off your face is verging on the ridiculous. I will remember the agony for a good while 🙂

portlyone

Read something recently about rain drops falling faster, much faster, than their terminal velocity. Think the fact they were a liquid was important in this, but just goes to show, everything is probability…

mintimperial

My dad had to have pretty much every panel and the rear windscreen on his Audi replaced after it was caught in a massive golf ball-sized hailstorm in the Alps and ended up looking like Father Ted had had a go at it. Weirdly, though, the front windscreen survived. It was never quite the same afterwards and the boot leaked no matter what they tried to do to fix it.

So yeah they can go pretty fast…

TPTcruiser

Made the bell on my bike ring with a direct hit. Not enough to be able to name the tune.

MoreCashThanDash

And how do they all find the vents in a helmet?

GrahamS

In cahoots with the bees!

molgrips
    Free Member

Varies a lot. Yesterday they were falling so fast onto the car windscreen they smashed. Today they fell like snow.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How fast are hailstones moving when they hit the ground?’ is closed to new replies.