Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How far would you travel to look at a car
  • rocketman
    Free Member

When I sold my last motorbike, a bloke drove up from Devon in a pickup, paid in cash, and then drove it home in the back of the pickup (I helped him get it on there using some wood in the garden). I was going on holiday that day so he turned up at about 8am

He didn’t even test ride it, just started it and was happy
    Similar story here with my old Fireblade. We pushed it onto his trailer and secured it with a million tie-downs. The bloke phoned me up when he got home to tell me he’d got back OK

P20

From Northumberland, I’ve been up to Duns in the Borders for a Xantia, frustratingly had to travel back three times to have to it fixed under warranty. The Octavia from Liverpool was no problem though.

willard

I used to shop local, but the last two I have bought were a little further afield: T5 from Tring (about 50 miles) and my TT from Scunthorpe (about 90). Both were cheaper and better than the more local ones I had seen.

I was planning on doing a 140 mile trip to Pudsey to look at another TT the weekend before that was ideal, but that went before I could get the time to do it. Being in the grim north, it was a grand cheaper and a much higher spec than the one I ended up getting. I’m still bloody happy with the Scunthorpe purchase though.

totalshell

I had a bloke pack his wife and kids in his van to pick up a motorbike in rochdale.. he came from Madrid.. would nt even accept a cup of tea.. paid in euro’s.. had a bloke travel from northern island for a nothet bike he paid in £100 notes.. squeaky bum time at the bank .. they didnt know what they were supposed to look like..

three months later he rang up as he was going to start it for the first time..

renton
    Free Member

Just over a 1000 mile round trip for my current one !!

kudos100
    Free Member

No more than about 100 miles.

If I am going to travel that far I will grill the person on the phone about the car beforehand 😆 That way when I go and look at it, hopefully I will have a fair bit of information about the faults and problems

The way I look at it is, car sales is a bit of a game where most people/dealers try and hide the cars issues. I will try to find them out before leaving the house so I don’t waste a journey. Some people are totally honest but they are in the minority.

I do this in a cheery cheeky sort of way and try and get clues about the seller.

Ideally i’d rather drive 30 minutes to look at a car and then if it’s no good, it’s no big deal.

alpin
    Free Member

totalshell – Member

I had a bloke pack his wife and kids in his van to pick up a motorbike in rochdale.. he came from Madrid.. would nt even accept a cup of tea.. paid in euro’s.. had a bloke travel from northern island for a nothet bike he paid in £100 notes.. squeaky bum time at the bank .. they didnt know what they were supposed to look like..

is there such a thing as a 100 pound note?

from Wiki:

“The notes currently in circulation are as follows:

5 pound note depicting Elizabeth Fry, showing her reading to prisoners in Newgate Prison
    10 pound note depicting Charles Darwin, a hummingbird and HMS Beagle
    20 pound note depicting Adam Smith, with an illustration of ‘The division of labour in pin manufacturing’
    50 pound note depicting Matthew Boulton and James Watt, with steam engine and Boulton’s Soho factory.”

essexbiker
    Free Member

OP I may be looking for a Legacy estate when my company car goes back in June. What did you think of them? Anything to look out for?

Northwind

alpin – Member

is there such a thing as a 100 pound note?

Aye, both RBOS and BOS still issue them. They do feel like toy money though.

stevedoc
    Free Member

After a day on the trader and ebay , I now look at this thread and realise I need to nutt up ,shut up and get out there , my wife has just reminded me if travelled 500 miles through the night to pick up a rifle once “whats the bloody difference ”

enfht
    Free Member

I drove all night to get to you, is that all right? I drove all night.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Only had to travel 2 miles to buy my current Leggy estate.
    Got back from walking the dogs, sparked up the ‘puter, hit Autotrader and there she was!
    After a couple of weeks of looking.
    Just about given up; thought I might have to buy some German junk….

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How far would you travel to look at a car’ is closed to new replies.