Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How far would you travel to buy a dog?
  • giantalkali
    Free Member

A bit like the currently running ‘…to buy a car’ thread, but with dogs instead.

1,400 miles for this handsome beastie

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DmCTM9]IMG_5808colour[/url] by mikeycycle, on Flickr

5thElefant
    Free Member

How many times was he sick in the car?

wwaswas

You need to get a roller on that lawn.

sandwicheater

That’s not a dog, that’s a rock. You sir, have been duped.

giantalkali
    Free Member

it’s a dog egg

digga
    Free Member

Confusingly, I found my last dog on Pistonheads. (Honestly.)

willard

My mum once bought a dog from a breeder north of Aberdeen. I drove her there and back from Ipswich with the dog over a weekend.

It destroyed my mind and the only rest I had was when the dog needed to poop and when I got so tired that the prospect of my mother driving no longer scared me.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Devon to Stuttgart

Dog Vomit – 0
    Blizzards – 1
    Worming tablet trauma – 1

DaveRambo

How far… as far as we needed to find a breeder we liked.

We decided we wanted a border terrier so started with the breeders nearest to us. Found one 20 min drive away and decided to wait until she had a suitable pup available. We could have easily paid half the money and had a dog within a week but decided the choice of breeder was the most important thing.

Anyhow Ted is nearly 8 months old now and getting to know the breeder before we got him, making several visits and getting to know and see the parent dogs made buying him easy.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We got our border terrier from Kent. Drove down from North wales, and she was worth it 🙂

CheesybeanZ

1200 , 3 visits too Plymouth – view , view again(decide which one ) and collect the little bugger .

4130s0ul
    Free Member

(that is on beauty of a dog you have there)

I don’t think I would put a limit as to how far I would travel for the right dog, which is kind of ironic as it was me who queried how far is too far when buying a car.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

To get this one again i’d travel 1,000,000’s of miles. He’s a legend.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Lovely Border by the way.

headfirst
    Free Member

<high horse>

I’d travel to my local rescue centre to adopt my next dog.

</high horse>

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

See my post above, he was rescued by us, but not locally, we are his 4th home at the tender age of 3. 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Some lovely dogs, especially for us having a BT, Dave’s up there. he’s stunning. We went about 80 miles round trip, luckily for Rosie, who lived next to the supervet. We didn’t think she would break a leg and visit there for 6 months getting her fixed. She is fine now.

giantalkali
    Free Member

<high horse>

</high horse>

This was a rescue, just not too local as he was being looked after by a friend temporarily

siwhite
    Free Member

If I obtain permission for another Border, I’d drive as far as necessary for a nice dog from a good breeder.

Our current dog was from overseas – well, the Isle of Wight!

footflaps

Our current dog was from overseas – well, the Isle of Wight!

Culturally it’s probably more overseas than most of Africa 😉

cokie

Colchester to London, but we would have traveled any distance for her.

Tracey

Travelled a couple of hours to pick her and the same again to fetch her home, would have gone a lot further if needed

hellz85
    Free Member

For me its 11 miles to the nearest rspca, 20 miles in the other direction for the next nearest rspca, 30 miles to a small charity rescue centre I like and 40 miles to the nearest dogs trust. I can’t really see me ever not going the rescue route as I will never do dog showing, or breeding but if I were to buy a puppy from a breeder probably max 200 miles in each direction. The pedigree dogs I like are common so I doubt I’d have to go far to find a good breeder, I would not buy a mongrel dog from a breeder.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How far would you travel to buy a dog?’ is closed to new replies.