Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • How far would you travel to buy a car?
  • spooky_b329

I’ve been looking for a new van, looking as in browsing ebay, autotrader etc DAILY for about 9 months. I’m fussy, wanted good condition and a few toys, unfortunately almost all the models with a decent specification were originally dealer demonstrators with an automatic (robotic manual) snatchy unreliable gearbox.

So I found one two weeks ago, after joking to the wife that it was probably miles away, I looked to see, and it was.

With some encouragement from her I committed to 1h30m on the train, 1h30m flight to the other end of the country to my brothers place, the next day 2h30m drive to the seller, bought it (!) then 2h30m back to my brothers, then final day, 9h drive home…

1050 mile round trip, it was foolish but it paid off 🙂 I didn’t want to tell the seller how far I was coming so had to risk the small chance he would sell it after I’d booked the train and flight.

Do I win? After the last car I always said I would only buy local…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bradford to Hull.

Save about £2k compared to what I could buy elsewhere.

nickewen
    Free Member

Chelmsford and St Albans for the last two 2nd hand ones from Newcastle so a canny trek. As above I love the drive home in a new toy! The cars were a 4 year old Mini Cooper and a 4 year old 325. Both were great spec, right colour, price, mileage etc. What’s a day for something you’ll probably have for 3 years? Got to have some good conversations on the phone with seller, extra pics and stuff mind. Maybe I’ve just hit lucky but I’d do it again.. I told each of the sellers (one was indie garage and one private) that I was coming a LONG way and if there was something they weren’t telling me that I found on the day I would be less than happy. Having said all that I’ve recently bought new from a local dealer which was particularly easy but maybe not as exciting?!

integerspin
    Free Member

I bought a range rover on ebay for a quid. I had to go from Gatwick to Wolverhampton to collect it. National coaches were doing a special offer, 1 pound
    city to city and Gatwick counts as a city.

wicki
    Free Member

You really need to know its condition and have faith in the vendor ,if it sounds like a chav and to good to be true don’t go.

nealglover
    Free Member

My last vehicle I travelled from Leeds to Berlin to buy it.

Previously have travelled from Leeds to Portsmouth to buy.

konabunny
    Free Member

I bought a range rover on ebay for a quid. I had to go from Gatwick to Wolverhampton to collect it. National coaches were doing a special offer, 1 pound
    city to city and Gatwick counts as a city.

Blimey. I assume it needed a lot of work…?

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How far would you travel to buy a car?’ is closed to new replies.