Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How far would you travel to buy a car?
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Currently looking for a new (to me) car. Been looking for a couple of months to find one inline with a spec I want, decent mileage etc. I seem to consistantly find the perfect car only to find it’s at one extreme end of the country! Driving me nuts! My last 3 cars have been quite a distance away as I never seem to fnd one on the doorstep…

geoffj

If it ticks the boxes, pay for an AA check, and then if all is well with that, make the journey. More efficient than kicking the tyres yourself a long way from home.

Jamie
    Free Member

I did a 340 mile round trip to have a look at the Rock Lobsters at Merlin, so assume I would do the same for a car I liked.

loddrik
    Free Member

When I used to swap my cars all the time I used to think nothing of a 400 mile round trip for the right car.

bruneep

I flew from Aberdeen to Derby(East Midlands airport) to get my latest car, factoring flights and fuel back I still saved over a grand.

parkesie
    Free Member

For a everyday run around maybe 30 miles. For something a bit rare or special anywhere on this island.

steveh

200 miles easy for anything I wanted that was a good enough deal. I can’t understand people who won’t do over 20 miles to buy something which is such a large purchase.

ivantate
    Free Member

as far as it takes. i also have no fear of walking away if it isnt right even if there is a 200+mile trip involved.

GJP
    Free Member

As far as my nearest Audi Dealer – currently about 6 miles.

carlosg
    Free Member

I travelled to Milton Keynes from Leeds, every time the model I wanted appeared for sale it was sold in a day or so.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I caught the train to Milton Keynes from Fife for my C5, and another train ride to London for my sisters Passat. One way train tickets £30/50. Cars were better value and condition than ones I could find in Fife. Well worthwhile travelling.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Latest one I found was in Poole, a long drive from Macclesfield! I would have made the journey if it was a minter as it was well priced. Called the dealer and asked what marks it had, he emailed through some pics of small crease on the arch and a door ding. These were the ‘only marks worth mentioning’ which means there were others in my book. Not what I’d expect for a 3yr old car, not worth a hundred quid round trip so the hunt goes on 🙂

last 3 have been Cumbria, otley and Bristol, never found a car less than 70 miles away!

avdave2

Friends of mine once travelled from Brighton to Inverness to buy a car.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If its a normal, common car the journey costs would need to be outweighed by a good price.

For my ideal car/something rare I’d go anywhere in the UK. SII landy on galvo rangey chassis, I know you’re out there…

crazy-legs

The problem with all the sites like autotrader is that they show the distances as the crow flies. I remember years ago when buying a car it said it was 12 miles away. It was but that 12 miles was right across Morecambe Bay! So that’d be a 40 mile drive then… 🙄

To be fair, as others have said, it’s one of the biggest purchases you’ll ever make so it makes sense to do it right and travel to find the vehicle you want.

I’m currently interested in a car down in Cambridgshire – well over 100 miles away. Just arranging to see when I’m down that way for Christmas, hope it’s still there!

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Nov ’06, I flew up to Aberdeen to collect my 996 C2 and then drove the 476 miles home. Fantastic day!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How far would you travel to buy a car?’ is closed to new replies.