• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • how far should i get my steerer tube of my anthem x cut down by?
  • racefaceec90

have a 10 anthem x2 (completely as standard.) it’s a fantastic bike,but have decided to get the steerer tube cut down so as to help with climbing (the front gets light if it gets steep).it has 4 washers under stem along with a cone metal headset cover. (NOT MY PICTURE) i just uploaded it so you could get some idea what i’m on about. i was thinking of getting rid of all washers and the cone headset piece (replacing it with a flat headset cover).would i find the position too low if i did that?would be willing to try it though as i think it would make the bike look better and really help with keeping the wheel down?thanking you in advance 🙂

mtbfix

Try taking a washer or two out from under the stem and popping it/them back on top of the stem first. Play about with the stem height before doing anything final with a saw.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Hard to say re you finding it too low, but you can just remove the conical headset spacer, no need to get anything else, unless they have changed the headset since i had one of these.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mister-P
    Free Member

You could see if it would drop the bars too low by flipping the stem and sitting on the bike. That should give you an idea if it will throw you too far forward or not.

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Try it!

Just put the spacers above the stem and try it for a while. If it works for you then take a hacksaw to it but only do that when you are certain!

racefaceec90

i actally was going to do that,but was worried that the stem cap wouldn’t hold them on (shows how rubbish i am with bike maintenance/diy 😳 will definitely try that first. 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont cut it. You dont actually need to cut it, just move the spacers as others have said.

If you ever need to sell the forks they are more saleable with an uncut steerer so they fit more bikes.

racefaceec90

ah good point trimix.i will move the washers and let you know how it felt when i have ridden my bike (am going to move all 4 above the stem to see how it feels) 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

If your COG is the problem then move teh saddle forward.

RustyMac

racefaceec90

It looks as though the cone shaped washer may be part of the headset! I have an old FSA headset cover for an intigrated headset(looks from the pic as though that may be what you need) which is flater. This would allow you to replace the cone shaped spacer with some standard spacers and would allow you more adjustment.

If you think this could be usefull send me and email, my address is in my profile and you can have it for free.

andyl
    Free Member

I would do a combination of spacer moving and stem flipping. IMO more than 10mm above the stem looks silly so if you need to go lower just flip the stem.

racefaceec90

thanks Rusty Mac,the shop where i bought the bike (shout out to melksham cycles) is ordering me a flat headset cover.will try a combination of spacer/stem adjustment first.will go out on bike within next couple of days (cycle to westbury white horse via salisbury plain)that will definitely give me a good test of position. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I would have left the cone one on as you will still have to replace the missing height with more spacers.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

You won’t need a headset top cap – the conical spacer is just a spacer, the headset top cap is beneath it (or at least it is on my 2009 Trance X).

I’d start by keeping the conical spacer in place and move the standard spacers to above the stem to drop it a bit. If you need to drop it further, remove the conical spacer and buy some standard spacers so you can fine tune the position further – exactly what I’ve done.

legend
    Free Member

Dont cut it. You dont actually need to cut it, just move the spacers as others have said.

but on the other hand – friends don’t let friends ride with a 2inch nubin above their stem.

Anyway, unless you’re steerer’s cut so short that it wont fit some bike, it’ll make as near as naff-all difference to the re-sale price

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Idiotdogbrain, that’s weird cos mine (on 2010 Trance X) is a Giant/FSA branded conical headset top cap. Perhaps they changed it from 2009 to 2010?

martymac

you could slam it right down, cut it to remove all the washers and just force your spine into submission.
    lol,
    measure twice, cut once would be my advice, thats if it has to be cut at all.

IanW
    Free Member

For me it was about right with the stem on the conical washer. But as someone else said try it move the stem down, flip it over find out what feels the best to you. Then after a few months cut the steerer but leave a washers worth on top of the stem just in case.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘how far should i get my steerer tube of my anthem x cut down by?’ is closed to new replies.