Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How far is too far?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Been looking online for a T5 Transporter.
    Finally found one that ticks pretty much all the boxes.
    Problem is it’s near Belfast and I’m this side of that bit of water.
    It would involve flying from Brum to Belfast, getting to van – hopefully it being exactly as I expect as I’d be loathe to then not buy it – ferry back to either Scotland followed by a massive drive or drive to Dublin then cross to Liverpool. Either way it’s a big commitment in time and money. Would you bother or wait for one that’s on the mainland? Even if I drove 100 miles each way to see one it’s nowhere near as much time, money and ballache. It does look very nice though and that’s my quandary

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Few years ago I flew to Newquay from Edinburgh to collect a T4. It was priced fairly low, but Cornwall is saturated in converted vans and there were non in Scotland! I told the guy if it wasn’t as described I’d be knocking the price down. Told him I’d got a return flight booked just in case, I didn’t. Got another £500 knocked off on the day and then drove all the way to Glasgow. Kept it for 6 years and sold it for the same price as I bought it for! Brilliant van.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks EMC. Sounded worth doing in your case.
    Anyone else? What would you do?

geoffj

What would you do?

Was EMC says, make sure the seller knows that you will walk away if it isn’t right.
    I was on the other side when I sold my truck recently. The guy had come down from Aberdeen in the evening. I knew it was going to be tight getting the last train back if he didn’t buy it and so didn’t budge on price.
    Keep your cards close to your chest or make it known you have options (even if you don’t).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve had the same issue.Ex father in law was dying of cancer and wanted to race a dragster at Santa Pod before he died. He found a nice Ford Pop but it was in NI. We planned the trip: Ferries, trailer etc, and were looking forward to it, but he deteriorated and died before we could do it.

Bottom line (to me): If I saw the trip as a bit of adventure and a chance to have a break and see some new places, it would be worth it to me. However if I saw it as a massive ballache and didn’t really have the time then no.

As for the journey I don’t think it’s too arduous, and provided I had the time, I’d enjoy it. But YMMV

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Have a short holiday and look at the van while you’re there.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I live in stirling and bought a mini from minis bristol minis. Flew down. Did the deal and drove home. Its a fond memory and gave the car some kudos. Do it!

damascus
    Free Member

Just make sure you do all your checks. I remember reading about Irish t5s with high mileage being re registered in the UK with low mileage.

And be prepared to walk away. Just because you’ve travelled that far doesn’t mean you have to buy it.

eruptron
    Free Member

If you have to deal with the DVLA on your return don’t bother. This will suck your life force away.
    We brought a car back from the Isle Of Man with us dealing with them was soul destroying.
    Good luck if you do it but don’t feel obliged to buy it. Treat it as a holiday/adventure first.

maccruiskeen

Was EMC says, make sure the seller knows that you will walk away if it isn’t right.

But will you though. The distance and bother you go to to travel makes you far less critical than you’d like to think you being. Ultimatums to the seller are just empty words – he’s going to absolutely no trouble on your behalf – if you walk away so what – its doesn’t matter to him if ‘walking away’ is just walking back round the corner or a taxi back to the airport. Its a T5 – someone will buy it whether you do or not.

As for distance to buy. I used to have an old Merc T1 that I bought with tax / mot for £350. Drove it for a year then put it on eBay without either. It sold for £350 then I realised the buyer was in Germany – fully expected the seller to either pull out or be a scam. Buyer flew from Germany to Edinburgh then train to Glasgow to collect then had to drive back via Newcastle and across Europe. He can’t have had much change out of £500 for the round trip.

vorlich
    Free Member

I just bought a Wellhouse Terrier (I knew I’d be unlikely to find one locally) from a guy in Truro. I’m in Fife. He met me in Bristol and I paid his train back to Truro. I had RAC check the van over first (£220), kind of expensive, but gave me some piece of mind and showed him I was serious. I only arranged the inspection after chatting to him on the phone and getting some idea of who I was dealing with.

I hate flying, so took the train and stayed overnight. At some point you have to commit and put trust in the person you’re dealing with. The hassle factor probably saved me around £3k vs buying used from Wellhouse, so was worth it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tread lightly it’s not just milage.

Big trend in Ireland for buying unrecorded wreakers from the UK taking them into Ireland and somehow they turn into road goig vehicles again and look comparibly cheap compared to UK vans.

Happens with all vehicles but easier on the more popular ones.

Make sure all the numbers match and the colour etc. Dont be fobbed off with xyz had to be changed or I fancied a colour change. If it doesnt match walk.

geoffj

But will you though. The distance and bother you go to to travel makes you far less critical than you’d like to think you being. Ultimatums to the seller are just empty words – he’s going to absolutely no trouble on your behalf – if you walk away so what – its doesn’t matter to him if ‘walking away’ is just walking back round the corner or a taxi back to the airport. Its a T5 – someone will buy it whether you do or not.

Not really IME. If I know that a seller has invested time and effort in viewing a vehicle at a certain price, I’m unlikely to drop my price as quickly as if someone has say just popped in on their way home – and I want it gone.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How far is too far?’ is closed to new replies.