Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How far have you managed to bend the rules of cycle to work when buying bikes?
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

When i got my croix de fer it was over the £1000 limit so with a bit of fiddling the LBS sorted it and seemed quite happy to do so (obviously they are not out of pocket and I know it’s all down to issues with ownership etc but i was happy to do it for the bike i wanted).

I am not in desperate need for another bike for me at present but my two youngest (who inconsiderately are virtually the same size although being two years apart) have grown out of their mountain bikes.

Would it be cheeky to ask the LBS to see if they will do two reasonable kids bikes through the cycle to work scheme? has anyone else managed to bend the rules quite that much??

jam-bo

I got a set of totems. Paperwork was based on a bike I already owned.

That was way back in the early days though.

garage-dweller

You / they will technically be committing fraud and opening yourself, them and possibly your employer up to a world of pain. Personally I wouldn’t even ask. From what I can gather the system is getting more robust for picking this kind of stuff up.

At best get caught and get fired. At worst criminal record.

bradley
    Free Member

I know someone who got a pair of wheels instead of a bike!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well put, garage dweller.

The more people ‘bend’* the rules, the sooner the real benefits of the scheme will be shut down.

*As in fraudulent use.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think ‘misuse’ of the scheme is rife – the guys in Halfords told me I could buy bikes for my kids with the letter of credit when I got a bike from them a couple of years ago.

I’m sure loads of people will be along shortly to remind you its technically fraud – so it is your choice…

TiRed

I topped mine up to buy a bike with upgraded spec. Others have bought bikes that definitely did not get ridden to work. All have bought bikes. Some shops will treat it as a voucher for purchase of goods in the shop. You can buy more than one bike with a voucher provided the total is less than or equal to the sum.

So yes, you could buy two bikes.

roverpig

I think that’s how Jimmy Carr got started 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

You can now use the scheme to buy accessories only, no need for a bike, the list seems a bit random with things like child seats on the okay list. Personally I think things like tyres and wheels should be okay. My c2w bike from 2009 is still going strong but many parts have been replaced as they wore.

d45yth
    Free Member

I used to contract for the local council…their employees have done a mix of the above answers and more!

I’ve known some to sell the bike’s right away for a quick cash injection. As mentioned above, some stores just give out a voucher for anything in store…the council’s chosen store was Halfords, we used to joke about how some lads wouldn’t get past the alloy wheels!

pondo

Bit perplexed by the fraud claims – who is defrauded, and how? IME, the LBS is generally quite happy to be creative with the voucher, but I don’t know who loses out by them doing that.

hot_fiat

On my second c2w contract now. I work at home. Can get neither the fatty nor the specialized round the corner from the bedroom into the study as it’s just too right. Next one will be a brompton, or may move my office to the end of the garden.

stoffel
    Free Member

C2W is atax dodge. Should b scrapped.

aracer
    Free Member
    Northwind

pondo – Member

Bit perplexed by the fraud claims – who is defrauded, and how?

HMRC, presumably.

I did the standard rule bend- used cycle to work to justify buying a new bike, then bought a more expensive new bike not via cycle to work.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Well I have purchased two bikes for myself over 3 years, both have gone to work (and continue to) a lot as well as doing many more miles elsewhere. My two children ride to school with me on my commute – so really if I could buy a kids bike seat why not a kids bike or two as I cant do my commute without them. Surely they are just essential accessories to allow me to ride to work

As for fraud if I pay over the odds for a bike (as I did with the cdf) for the years before the contract is finished ctw actually have ownership of a more expensive bike than they thought, so if they took it back id be the one out of pocket and no one else

bearnecessities

Fraudulent intentions aside, nice to see you back AW 🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Aww thanks 🙂 been a bit busy of late, have i missed much?

bearnecessities

Grimslop has admitted he has a cake problem, and and England are out.

I have a tan, but I’ve not posted anything about it.

Pigeons have been eating my broccoli, but again, not posted this info.

There has been some mention of wheel sizes; kittens were killed, obvz.

Otherwise, no, you haven’t missed anything!

Still think about Christmas Pudding jumper woman 😀

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Hate to break it to you but christmas pudding jumper woman got married, she’s just back from her honeymoon in Mauritius.

But at least you have a tan, that’s good it must mean your house is finished if you have found the time to be out in the sun??

(air rifle = pigeon pie and broccoli)

bearnecessities

it must mean your house is finished

Erm, not quite! I have abandoned house for summer, in exchange for…..enjoying summer! It was taking up a bit too much of my life, and I was starting to get fat. 😀

House renovation will be resumed around late-August time. Oddly, garden is next on the plan! Lass from allotment that is doing the plans, is actually off to BBC in Bristol tomorrow as she’s been shortlisted to be sponsored for Chelsea next year. I want her to get my plans done before her stock rises significantly!

bigG
    Free Member

I know someone who got a set of carbon road wheels with their halfords voucher

pondo

Parts only are allowed now, I understand.

hot_fiat

I’d like to see that in writing. If it’s true the wife’s allowance is going on a chariot.

bland

You should see the abolition of a frame a mate ended up with to hang his xtr off when he ordered everything through CRC!

DT78
    Free Member

when I asked, a couple of months ago, parts weren’t allowed unless accompained by a full bike. There was a list of ‘accessories’ if you do an accessories only C2W. There is a list published somewhere if you google it.

rocketman
    Free Member

The BIL works with some keen MTBrs. He got a Carrera and some kit from Halfords for £999.99 and religiously rode it to work in all weathers because that was the deal and that’s the sort of person he is.

The other lads got carbon S-works etc and one of them brought his bike to work (in the car) and left it in the bike shed for a morning 🙂

nbt

TO be honest you’ll probably get a better deal by just talking to your LBS and seeing what they can do for you in terms of interest free credit rather than using C2W

MoreCashThanDash

Not bent them at all as my employer for the scheme is technically HMRC 🙁

Always nice to see people revealing how they break “our” rules 8)

pdw
    Free Member

I do find it interesting that breaking the rules of the scheme is considered so acceptable. Breaking the rules is effectively tax evasion: you’re not paying tax on a portion of your income which according to the law you should be.

Would it be similarly acceptable for me to simply under-declare my earnings by a grand on my tax return? Same net effect, and much less paper work.

I’m genuinely curious as to what the distinction is.

edlong
    Free Member

My two children ride to school with me on my commute – so really if I could buy a kids bike seat why not a kids bike or two as I cant do my commute without them. Surely they are just essential accessories to allow me to ride to work

That sounds fair enough to me – if the purchase of 2 x kids bikes is the equipment required to enable to you to be able to cycle to work (which is the point of the scheme existing) then I can’t see how it’s different in principle to a kids seat for your bike, or locks and other bits and pieces. Certainly it’s morally less of a stretch than those who spend it on bikes they have no intention of ever riding to work.

DT78
    Free Member

maybe because the scheme is virtually impossible to police and appears to be a bit vague on what is allowed and isn’t meaning its open to interpretation.

It would be easier if they just took VAT off bikes….

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Not me but a friend misinterpreted the C2W and came out with a Canoe, very nice one too!!! 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I managed to get a quarter oz of coke and a couple of very sleazy hookers

rickmeister

Not bent the rules but the company I used to work for set itself up as a credit broker (or something similar, to remain legit..), so many of the staff had tax relief on £5k road bikes etc etc…

I got a £4k Orange 5 over the year at 40% off, interest free and it cost £5 to close the scheme….

pondo

I’d like to see that in writing. If it’s true the wife’s allowance is going on a chariot.

D’you, I’m sure I read it somewhere, but the cyclescheme.co.uk FAQs do suggest otherwise. 🙁 Apparently, although you can just get “safety equipment and accessories” and don’t have to buy a bike –
    “Allowable safety equipment includes:

Cycle helmets
    Bells
    Lights, including dynamo packs
    Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
    Cycle clips and dress guards
    Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    Child safety seats
    Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors
    This list is by no means exhaustive, so if you do have questions about what equipment you can obtain please contact our Help Desk. Bicycle components such as Frames etc are not permitted.”
    Wonder how it works with the aforementioned dynamo packs – does that mean I can have a set of wheels built with a dynamo hub?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I work on an oil rig..

dunmail
    Free Member

I work on an oil rig..

What you want is a very fat bike 🙂

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

CEO at my old place got a consumer credit licence for the company so he could buy a 12k road bike, I bought a bronson on the scheme, not exactly a cycle to work bike. I believe the limit for consumer cred licence now has a limit of £4.5K on it.

I now work ltd co and cycle to work on a road bike I bought 2nd hand for £250

smiththemainman
    Free Member

dunmail see the earlier Canoe 2 work scheme might be what you`re after!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How far have you managed to bend the rules of cycle to work when buying bikes?’ is closed to new replies.