• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How far do you travel to race?
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Feeling a bit hard done to in the north of England at wintertime.
    Lots going on Down South, in Wales and in Scotland but not much in the way of XC racing over the winter months in the North
    So, just wondering how far do you travel to race?
    Anyone know of any winter races up north over the next few months?

breadcrumb

I’ve done the Strathpuffer the last 4 years- 590 miles return trip according to google maps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Couple of flights, would have been 3 for ews. In the UK about as far as needed for the right event.

superfli
    Free Member

My closest Enduro race will be approx 3-4 hours away, most races this year for me are going to be 5 hrs away. Unfortunately lots of XC around here (South), but no Enduro (well there is QECP, but I help out on that).

Yak

I used to do the excellent Brownbacks xc races at Lee Quarry and those would be about 40mins from me. I don’t think they are still on, which is a shame as I thought they were great. Now in the south, there’s lots of xc, all between 10 and 45mins away.

Longer endurance or team events – tend to travel all over the country, but then these are more like nice social weekends away.

mogrim

About 400km, which means hotel for a couple of nights, a fair amount of petrol + food spending etc – so obviously not every weekend!

Shorter, Sunday races: about an hour’s drive max.

orena45

The most I’ve travelled is about 150 miles each way for the Mondraker Gravity Rally (although I’ve done the Dyfi enduro 5 times which is 300 miles…but that’s not a ‘race’).

This year I’m racing the UKGE series, and being down in Cornwall means 494 miles up to Ae Forest and then same again back, not to mention 454 up to Hamsterly and 410 to Grizedale. I’ve worked out this year, I’m driving an extra 4242 miles just to get to and from UKGE races 😯

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just done 940 miles for the Puffer.

Wouldn’t do it regularly, mind, but most races I do are in Scotland and I live in the Midlands. Yet to find an English race that is as good as the Scottish ones.

nonk
    Free Member

You Could jump on the enduro bandwagon seems a bit more going on up north
    Depends on the race really did the trans savoie last year probably stop at about the four hour mark in the uk.

kilo

8,422 miles is my best, London to Himeville for a three day race:D

Usually an hour, hour and a half but travelling to wales for Battle of the Beach so will drive a bit if it’s worth it.

kimbers

well its a long ‘ol drive to the megavalanche and ive done that 5 or so times, flew out twice tho

but yeah ukge is a trek from london
    cornwall, hammers, grizzy, Ae, CYB, enduro1 at fod

mick_r

There have been cx races (with plenty of mtbs riding) all over the this autumn / winter – there is a NW league, NE league, Yorkshire etc etc so one or more races every weekend if you really wanted. The CXs have actually been really fun and friendly, with a few good mtb courses (Rossendale, South Lakes etc).

MTB races at Haigh hall in February.

Duathlons in Grizedale and Whinlatter.

Plenty of “challenge rides” (e.g. Mary Towneley Loop, Dean Barwick).

Scottish races are great and usually a few just over the border.

Sounds like there might be a race series in Whinlatter sponsored by Altura
    http://www.whinlatterchallenge.co.uk/

kimbers

mikewsmith you could always do the NZ EWS!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That is 3 flights….

Northwind

Never yet raced outside of Scotland so a few hundred miles a time. Hoping to get off to Ireland this year though for the EWS if I can get a place

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Too far, it’s part of the reason im a bit meh about my season this year. The last 2 years have been spent driving up & down the m6 most weekends – Edinburgh – Lancaster / Manchester / Chester / Milton keynes / Huddersfield / Ireland & others. Very little road racing for women up here.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Lots going on Down South

Yes we have lots of XC I will swap you for some enduro’s

TiRed

Just locally for XC – but local is Gorrick for me. Road is up to a couple of hours.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How far do you travel to race?’ is closed to new replies.