Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • How far do you drive to ride?
  • SOAP
    Free Member

My local is AC and is a 20 mins drive.
    Most other rides are hour to 1 1/2 hrs so probably spend £30/£40 a weekend on derv.

Sandwich

From the front door except when I ride with the club on a Sunday which is 30 minutes away due to the profusion of 40 and 50 limits on the way.

mrmo
    Free Member

99% of rides both road and off road from the door.

To be honest i can’t get my head round why anyone would take up mtbing if they have to drive somewhere ALL the time.

yunki
    Free Member

S’all from the door for me.. I’m much more likely to ride to drive these days

Although I’m flying to ride in June.. 8)

timwillows
    Free Member

Mostly from the front door

jambon
    Free Member

From the door here too.

butcher

Currently drive to ride about once every couple of months. I would probably do it more often but I keep reminding myself that one of the great advantages of cycling is the ability to ‘save money’ which you can then spend on more riding gear…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Midweek, ride from home.

Weekends, anything up to 150 miles (each way)

nuke

Another always from the door

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Did 800+ miles 3 weeks ago to do 2 days riding, which totaled about 50 miles.
    It was Torridon though so that was ok wasn’t it?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I don’t travel more than an he for xc. Usually 3/4 for DH

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Drive? To ride? I’m very careful maneuvering the handlebars past the car on the drive though. 😉

Seriously though – I don’t forget to remind myself on most rides how fortunate I am, living where I do.

ratherbeintobago

Can be anything up to 60 miles each way, but only do that if I’m riding with someone; far more often than not, it’s a solo run out the door & up the hill.

covertbaz
    Free Member

As far as I need to for good trails

gee
    Free Member

Only from the front door – Swinley/Tunnel etc or N Downs.

Well, apart from racing which is most weekends at the moment. That’s always a shared journey to cut costs, though.

GB

Northwind

Sometimes out the door, sometimes off to different countries. Mostly under an hour- I don’t like to drive for longer than I ride

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mostly ride from my door. Prob about 6-8 trips to Wales or quantocks a year (about 1-2 hours each way)
    Oddly for surfing I will drive 3 hours or a bit more each way as a day trip but would never do that biking

muddy247
    Free Member

Yorkshire Dales on the doorstep so no need to travel far! Once a month 30 min drive to Hamsterley or an hour ish to Whinlatter. Did 65 mile drive on the worst roads in the Dales to try out the trails at Gisburn Forest last weekend!

MoreCashThanDash

Most rides from the door

Less than an hours drive to Cannock or Sherwood, maybe every couple of months.

Once a month I might do an audax event but I have a one hour travelling limit, and usually share the cost with a mate.

I don’t think I have ever had a ride where the journey was longer than the ride – just can’t see the point. But then “proper” trail centres don’t interest me much, so I’ve no real desire to travel to ride them. If people want to do that sort of riding and are prepared to travel, good luck to them.

AlasdairMc

Mostly from the door, or on a train. I do have a car, but prefer linear routes where a car is a hindrance so the train makes sense.

plecostomus
    Free Member

I find it amazing that some people will drive for hours to ride their bikes. A day riding when there is sometimes more hours spent In the car is crap! Pretty much all my riding is done from the door.

cookeaa

Mostly from my door these days. Pre wife and kids I would regularly do a 60 mile round trip to ride the same bit of woodland most weekends. These days my time is limited and I would rather be riding than driving so I only drive if it’s worth it for an uplift or event of some sort.

vickypea
    Free Member

Lots from our front door, some start a 15 min drive away, and we occasionally drive for an hour or so to trail centres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends,

Swinley – Ride form my door, 5 miles, time depends on that days SS ratio! £free

Trolls – 30minutes – £7return

Chilterns (Pangbourne) – 33 minutes -£8return

Interestingly, it’d actually be cheaper to catch the train to Pangbourne than drive!

Assuming that the most I’d drive in a week would be 2 x trolls rides and 1x Pangbourne ride that’s £22, not sure if that’s good VFM or not! But equally I’ll often just ride Swinley for a week which is free. Or drive to the Peaks for a weekend (3h30min, £70).

I find it amazing that some people will drive for hours to ride their bikes. A day riding when there is sometimes more hours spent In the car is crap! Pretty much all my riding is done from the door.

Depends how you do it, I’ll often pack the car after dinner on Friday and Bivi in the car/carpark, no point setting off early, more discreet to arrive at midnight when no ones looking. Then do a 4 hour ride after breakfast, doss under a tree watching the world go by with a big lunch, then do it all again, and again on the Sunday, crams an epic amount of riding into two days!

SOAP
    Free Member

I guess that’s why there are so many Souls/hardtails on this forum, obviously a lot of road/bridleway riding going on from home.
    I just get bored of riding the same stuff week in week out and want to ride as many different places as possible.
    Hence the need to drive.

Lifer
    Free Member

No car here, woods nearby though, and I can get to the South or North Downs on the road bike in a couple of hours.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I guess that’s why there are so many Souls/hardtails on this forum, obviously a lot of road/bridleway riding going on from home.

I’m presuming you’re on a rigid bike if you have to drive to AC 😛

yunki
    Free Member

bloody Devon bridleways (Soul rider 😳 )

darrell
    Free Member

never drive anywhere to ride – except to events, SSEC or an international sportive

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

20 mins typically. I can ride some loops from the door but they aren’t as good.

sambob
    Free Member

Depends, sometimes only 20 mins to meet people for a group ride, but the riding from home is awesome do I don’t really need to drive far. Almost always take the bike if going somewhere hilly though, so I suppose that counts.
    I miss those trails Yunki, down for 3 weeks in July/August… 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

Riding 10-15 miles to the start of a social ride gives me enough options so as not to get to bored
    Some rides are winter only some summer only
    That and good company helps no end
    For me my mtb rides are social. I spend enough time on the road on my own

Garry_Lager

Do stuff on the edge of the Peak from the front door. Anything further in then I’ll drive, although the A6 is an infamous ballache. Drove to Hayfield this morning at 12.5 miles from my house, 30/40 limit throughout, with a lot of traffic lights, so 30 mins if it’s clear.
    Sort of run where just riding out would only take twice as long, but don’t really have the fitness to lay on 25 miles on top of the MTB ride without being wiped out for the day.

orangeboy
    Free Member

In less fit times I did used to drive the 30 min for one of our rides.

garage-dweller

Road is from the door.

Mtb varies my (should be but rarely is) weekly group ride could be anywhere from 55 miles from home to right on the doorstep. My work is in the middle of our area but my house at the easter extremity so sometimes end up with a fair trek home.

Weekend riding is a self imposed limit of 30 minutes each way to avoid chewing up too much riding time. Only exception is big trips out to wales, which are twice a year at most.

grum
    Free Member

I have really nothing worth riding from the door so my local spot is 20 mins drive away, S Lakes half an hour or so. I plan to move somewhere with really good riding from the door pretty soon though.

I do suspect some of the people being smug about never driving to ride are riding some pretty tame trails – hence why CX bikes seem to be so popular on here.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ride from the door. Does getting boring occasionally, even with some of the best XC in the country.

As above young kid and wife that works loads limits time on the bike so prefer to ride than being sat in a car.

Will always try and combine a bit of riding with a holiday away or weekend away though.

boxfish
    Free Member

Usually ride straight from the door, but driving 15 miles tomorrow to spend the day riding the Mendips/Cheddar. 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Have a great time box fish. It was stunning today.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Do trails have to be supper techy and hard to be fun ?
    And just to add a little clarity I use my enduro for my from door rides
    Total for the day can be up to 40-50 miles but more nomaly 30-40
    Ride the 15 miles to work in morning then group ride and ride home
    Average 45 depending on route

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘How far do you drive to ride?’ is closed to new replies.