Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How far back can you go before suspension becomes 'not good'
  • filks

I am considering a full sus build (my first full sus)on a very tight budget, so clearly a second hand frame is the only option. But how far ‘back’ can I go before the designs were not quite there? Or is it all down to more modern shock technology enabling flawed design to work well?

I am assuming mid 2000s onwards is ok but what are the STW opinions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the older the bike/shock the more important a good design. Modern damping rescued the single pivot

orangeboy
    Free Member

My old 2003 fsr works ok and still goes to trail centres and social rides ,
    It’s does bob a bit but if you pedal smoothly its ok.

But forward 10 years and my new enduro is almost a one bike for everything

ianv
    Free Member

2000 heckler was a great bike

5thElefant
    Free Member

Anything that looks normal will be fine with new suspension. Plenty of those around since the late 90s.

z1ppy

A more modern shock with propedal would sort that out shirely Orangeboy.
    As per OB’s comment Horst link bike have been around for a while, and though tweaked, they still horst link designed circa in the early 1990’s.
    IMO the majority of larger brands had suspension sorted in the early 2000’s, especially when Pro-pedal came along, and have been tweaking them ever since. Or seemingly just awaiting Specialized patent to run out, to use the horst link themselves (or in some case, just didn’t sell their HL bikes to the US market).

mrmo
    Free Member

if money is tight i would be aware that suspension is an ongoing cost. Fox air shocks have to be factory serviced as the oil damper is unserviceable by normal folk. Bushings and pivot bearings wear.

Just making sure you are aware. I would also think about a service on the shock from new. just so you have something worth riding from day one.

psling
    Free Member

The older the frame the more likely you’ll need to re-bush/refurbish/service the suspension so go for something for which spares/parts are still available. Unless you’re lucky enough to pick one up with “one careful owner”…

crazy-legs

Assuming you’re talking about a bike that’s maybe up to 8 years old, I’d say the design is less of an issue than the availability of spares and ongoing maintenance.

Even if you buy a cheap frame on a good deal, if you can’t get parts of it when a bit of it breaks 2 weeks later, it’ll be a very expensive bike!

Just need to be aware of those companies who insist on changing their bearing sizes every other year or who have all sorts of weird proprietary componentry.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep a modern air shock with pro pedal would fix the bob , but te fox coil on there is fine and have never seen the need to spend money on it esp given its a strange stroke and length

It still makes me smile when I use it and I don’t get left behind on the
    Climbs

filks

I had, perhaps somewhat naively, assumed once I knew a bearing size I could source them via internet etc. Is this not the case?

garage-dweller

Bearings you could well be ok on. But other bits like an obscure spacer or fixing bolt or a linkage component could be an issue.

As a parallel example i have a last generation hope xc hub (before the pro hubs) I can get bearings but there is (i am told) no more support for other parts specific to the hub (eg freehub spares).

I just sold my 04 enduro frame to someone for spares as they couldnt get some parts anymore.

Not saying dont do it but a single pivot like a orange 5 or heckler might be better than a complex multi pivot bike.

mrmoofo

I rode a proflex in the mid 90s – it was rubbish
    My manitou were also rubbish in the Lakes – the vacuumed in water , went solid and it was so cold that the elastomers were rock hard …
    My flex stem before that was a visionary piece of design …

Not

orangeboy
    Free Member

You can still buy springs and paws for older hope hubs , but not tried getting other bits lately

Must admit I can’t get a shock link for my 2003 enduro anymore

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m riding a 2005 turner 6 pack, the wife is on a 2006 stumpjumper. Neither of us can name any modern bike we’d rather be on.

My old 2001 intense tracer is still being ridden. However, I’d imagine the steeper head angle would be more of an issue on that than the suspension design.

Older single pivots might benefit from a platform shock but a sweeping generalisation like that might just open a who can of worms.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

How “on a budget” are you? I recently picked up a 2009 Giant Trance X5 complete bike for the OH, totally factory spec, for £375. Maestro system is the same as is used today.

VanHalen

Just bought a 2005 commencal meta 4 and it works great. Cheapo shock but I’m amazed how well the suspension works. And the geo is not that bonkers either. Low BB. Slackish with a bit longer forks. It’s dead fun to ride. If I snap it it (I ride it like my fr bike so possible) was pretty cheap.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mate of mine is selling a medium 2004 HL turner 5 spot frame.

Now there’s a timeless example.

Euro
    Free Member

How far back can you go before suspension becomes ‘not good’?

If when your arse tip passes goes beyond the outer diameter of the rear tyre, and your sack is millimetres from the tread, you have entered ‘not good’ territory. It’s timeless.

aracer
    Free Member

Is 2006 considered old then? I have to admit I don’t really think of my 2006 Scott Genius as being old and I’m sure it’s just as good as anything more modern.

To be honest I’d quite happily ride my 2000 Mount Vision though, that was perfectly sorted and didn’t need a clever shock to ride well.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1995 Kona Sex 3 frame kicking around in my garage.
    It wasn’t too bad on the downhills, pretty good fox shock Alps 5R.
    Hard work on the climbs though.

bruk

Just bought a 2nd hand 2005 stumpie fsr to see if I like full suspension. Had 1st proper ride out on it today and it was excellent fun. Cleared a few climbs I struggle on the ht and felt v happy with it. Admittedly I can only compare it to a 93 proflex I rented to ride the Slickrock trail in Utah donkeys ago.

So far so good, need to play around with the shock pressures but it is certainly different to the ht. May try and getaway play on a 29er and possibly even upgrade to a short travel 29er if I like both.

JCL
    Free Member

How far back? Current GT’s are terrible.

Northwind

mrmoofo – Member

My flex stem before that was a visionary piece of design …

Worked perfectly til the polymer wore out. Shame that happened instantly really.

br
    Free Member

As with anything there is a fatigue limit, and then known failures of various parts which means they are now unavailable – 05-06 Enduro swinging arms are a good example, Meta frames of a later vintage another.

And as others have said, you need to budget a rebuild at some point.

slackalice
    Free Member

Probably Y-frame Trek’s 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

For those of you missing Flex Stems, someone has revived them:

http://jassbike.com/

The best part is, on a blog post he discovers he’s not the first person to have the idea.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How far back can you go before suspension becomes 'not good'’ is closed to new replies.