Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How fancy are your wine glasses?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Several months ago, during a meeting, I was asked if I wanted a gift set of wine glasses from our parent company. It about 20 quid for the set, so I paid up, took them home, and put them in a cupboard.

This evening, a work colleague came around for beers, and a debrief on the past 6 weeks or so. I made a passing comment to my fancy wine glasses would be fun to drink Heineken from and so I broke them out.

He tells me, and I am no expert on crystal that retail price is around 250 quid for the four glasses, which boggles my mind.

Who pays 250 quid for four glasses. They do hold 975ml each, according to the label, which would be great for drinking whisky, but not much use for owt else.

So how fancy are your glasses, and do they make you feel special, mine certainly have provided a few hours of amusement.

sandwicheater

As of last night, I was drinking a lovely glass of red from a nutella glass having broke our last one.

Must must pick some up this weekend.

I’ve always spent about £30 for a set. I break them far to often to warrant spending any more.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Does drinking from the bottle count?

mtbfix

We have fancy, crystal wine glasses. The Mrs likes them. I prefer dishwasher friendly tumblers myself.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Not sure, but my beer goggles are pretty effective.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ My goggles are telling me that after the lovely 8.9% ale that just about got two bottles in per glass, I should try to see if the bottle of whisky fits as well.

I have to say, I feel right posh drinking from them.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Nutella glasses is what i have as whisky glasses 🙂

somafunk

I don’t have any wine glasses, i use my highland park whisky glasses for red wine, white wine, whisky, beer, port etc.

I do have some nice tumblers in the cupboard but i like the size and feel of the Highland Park glasses in my hand so i only drink from them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dartington Rummer. Smart, understated.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve got a few sets of riedel varietal specific sets at about 50 a glass. Though in practice the pinot noir ones see use for most stuff as they’re at the front of the cabinet, I only go hunting for the right glass if the bottle cost as much as the vessel did. They are bloody good glasses though and do make a surprising amount of difference (including making not very good/bad wine undrinkable, so I have other glasses pans for those).

perchypanther
    Free Member

We have cabinets full of Edinburgh Crystal in all shapes and sizes. The “go to” choice of engagement / wedding present before wedding lists were a thing.

Christmas use only.

nedrapier

glasses get broken in our house.

£1 a glass Ikea for us!

If it means that we wouldn’t get the best out of a £50 bottle of something, so be it.

DrJ
    Xylene
    Free Member

I started with Heineken, until the Paulander was cold enough to drink, then swapped, on running out I went back to Heinken, and it still tasted like shit.

Now neither of those are wines, but they still tasted pretty shit, Paulander was ok, but that is purely down to strength vs the watered down piss of Heineken, the half bottle of monkey shoulder was ok, but again, still pretty awfil.

So in short, if I drank decent booze from decent glasses it would taste decent. If I drink piss from decent glasses it will taste bad.

mark90
    Free Member

Ikea’s finest cheapest. No worries when they inevitably get broken.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In my late 20s I seemed to be interested in having nice things. Now in my 40s with two kids, I realise it’s just another branch of consumerism and have a ragged collection of ‘that’ll do’ purchases. Kids are great for bringing you back to earth with stuff like this, when they inevitably ruin and destroy all your ‘nice’ things.

slowjo
    Free Member

We splashed out, I think we paid £5 for four.

dmorts

We got 6 of these as a wedding gift. Initially I wasn’t keen, however I really quite like them now

£90 a pair 😯

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks beer tastes best from a glass with a handle?

johnners
    Free Member

I use these for that zinc-top feeling. About a fiver for 4.

pat12
    Free Member

i got strong-armed into buying a couple of sets of Dartingtons. The red wine glasses are massive and hold at least a third of a bottle if you fill them like i do.

Apparently they “let the complex aromas of the wine harmonise”, i’m not getting that but perhaps it says more about my knowledge of wine than anything else – if its red and i can point to the country on a map i know i’ll probably like it.

I was just about to buy them at £50 a pair on the website when i realised they do seconds (stems are about a half a mill off true) for £30 for six. Oh you didn’t need to get that many! Only the best for you honey! 🙂 think i spent the difference on set of disc brakes IIRC.

johnx2
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks beer tastes best from a glass with a handle?

yup, just you.

(actually handles just do feel wrong for beer)

I’m actually quite trendy, so drink wine these days from those shallow flat bottomed glasses.

jate
    Free Member

We have two pairs of Riedel Sommeliers glasses (Red Burgundy & Red Bordeaux) which were a wedding present and I think are c.£200/£250 a pair.
    They don’t come out to play very often…..
    However as per above, they do make a surprising difference. They are huge but the idea is not, tempting though it is, to see if you can fit an entire bottle into each, but pour a normal “measure” and use the volume of the glass for the “nose”.

tonyplym
    Free Member
    wool

Reidel Sauvignon and Cabernet are all you need,if you want dish washer proof chef & sommelier range are very good.
    Used everyday here not that I have problem you know…..

miketually
    Free Member

We have Jamie Oliver red wine glasses that are usually about eight quid for four in TK Maxx and work for wine, beer, water, juice, whatever. Recently got a pair of Dartington tumblers (also from the Maxx) that are essentially stemless red wine glasses and feel a bit classier.

For whisky I have a couple of those whisky tasting glasses, but I prefer the random small tumblers that we were given some jam in years ago.

We also have a cupboard full of assorted last-glass-in-the-set wine glasses.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ikea glasses for me – equivalent priced ones in Tesco seem more like they’re made of tissue paper. Not sure I see the point in expensive glasses unless you regularly hold dinner parties and are trying to impress people…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve a mix of John Lewis and Vilroy & Boch, gawd knows how many I’ve bust over the years, so it’s a bit of a mix and match when we use them..

MrSmith
    Free Member

got some Riedel ones in the cupboard, red specific (think they are the tasting ones but they do a glass for every kind of wine) but never use them as i prefer the habitat ones that are just a bowl with no stem. much harder to knock over and dont have to worry about breaking them when washing them up.

dont like crystal/cut glass or coloured swirly stuff, looks bit chavvy.

hels
    Free Member

I was given some v fancy glasses as a work leaving present once. Regifted one box when I was invited to a friends parents for crimbo and needed a gift at short notice, had forgot, they are wine people etc, I know this is poor form. Had no idea what they were worth and suspect I may have over-gifted, when I got the effusive thank yous.

Now I am too scared to use the remaining box, far too much of a klutz, which isn’t improved by drinking. Again in my defence, disabled hand from a bike accident, not delirium tremors.

So Tesco 4 for a fiver all the way chez hels.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Apart from the ones I bought at Sainsburys, I’ve got this:

… which is an inheritance from a pal who died in a car crash. Special, unaccompanied occasions with an expensive bottle only…

Cougar

They do hold 975ml each, according to the label, which would be great for drinking whisky, but not much use for owt else.

You drink whisky from (almost) 2-pint glasses? Good work.

mcj78
    Free Member

Not especially fancy but we bought a load of crystal Nachtmann glasses from TK maxx one day for buttons – think they’re Reidel owned, they weight an absolute ton & are very good for drinking whisky from… i dropped one in the sink & it exploded into literally a billion razor sharp fragments, several of which ended up in my hand for a while (yes i’m scared of them now)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not sure I see the point in expensive glasses unless you regularly hold dinner parties and are trying to impress people…

I think you’d be surprised, a good glass definitely (IMHO) makes more of a difference than an extra £10 on a £15-20 bottle of wine.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got some like johners^ so I can feel all french peasant farmer, otherwise 7oz ISO tasting glasses nicked from work. also some similar ISO shape 10oz from TKMax

cynic-al
    Free Member

£5 for 6 from a charity shop, I’ll post a pic later. Wee stars etched in, quite cute. Hope I don’t break them as quickly as their predecessors

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They do hold 975ml each, according to the label, which would be great for drinking whisky, but not much use for owt else.

😯

A litre of whisky?

craigxxl
    Free Member

We’ve got plenty of very Waterford Crystal glasses and decanters from our wedding many years ago. Name the drink and we’ll have a beautiful glass for it but never use it as it’s hand wash only and if can’t go in the dishwasher it doesn’t get used so use the cheapy ones from the supermarket.

footflaps

We buy 4 for £5 John Lewis basics, as I seem to break them regularly there’s no point in buying expensive one.

Scapegoat

I inherited my parents’ entire glass cabinet of glasses. A mindboggling mix of cut crystal, Dartington and various obscure ones. From tiny liqueur glasses on stems to big fat whisky tumblers, champagne flutes and champagne saucers, with all the right sherry, port and so on in between. Various decanters too. Dad was a lover of understated quality, so they’re all beautiful in their own right. Fun choosing the right one for the right occasion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How fancy are your wine glasses?’ is closed to new replies.