Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How easy is it to fit a mixer shower?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Combi boiler system. Local plumbers are wanting around £350 for labour.

Edit – still half asleep. Title should have originally been fit not fix.

Stoner
    Free Member

is it just a thermostatic mixer valve on the wall? Is it surface mounted or flush mounted behind a splash plate? What’s wrong with it – temp control or valve?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

New install, so whichever shower type is easiest to fit. But I am thinking the thermostatic mixer valve on the wall.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Depends whats up.

I had one similar to this about 5 years ago that started gushing waster from the inards and wouldnt hold temperature.

I got the internal valve from plumbase which was about £70 and fitted it myself.

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/detail.htm?productNumber=1.1595.004&section=Mixer%20showers&resultPageKey=2000826190-0&category=

Stoner
    Free Member

oh, you mean “how much to intall a mixer shower” not “how much to repair a mixer shower”.

Scots english is not equal to english english is it! 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

£350, that’s a lot. Then again it depends how easy the pipes are to get to. To access the connections for our mixer shower I had to cut a hole in the wardrobe wall of the room the en suite backs on to, which isn’t a huge task.

I’d say probably an hours work for a plumber.

Before I fitted mine I got a quote for supply and fit and it was around £450 so that’s was probably around £200 labour maybe.

Sounds expensive but difficult to say really without knowing what’s involved.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yip, sorry. Fit not fix.. Still half asleep.

Pipes are easy to get to. There was a shower in there previously so channels etc are already there.

Next question – what bits, apart from the shower, will In need?

Gary_M
    Free Member

some pipes, valves, solder, flux, gas torch, pipe bender and ptfe tape.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Do you have enough water pressure with the combi boiler as we couldn’t have one fitted due to the lack of pressure.

wwaswas

you need mains pressure cold water supply as well to the bath which might be an issue?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

There is plenty pressure in both taps.

leffeboy

Not difficult to do if the pipework is already there. If it’s onto tiles then spend some of the money you are saving on a nice drill bit for tiles. Similarly don’t cheap on the mixer either as having changed one last year I can say that there is a difference between them. ‘Grohe’ are nice

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We had a new shower room last year. The plumber charged £350 for plyboarding the floor, fixing the walk in shower in place and doing the plumbing and drainage for the shower.

Installation was resaonably straight forward though as the walls were plastered after wards and the pipe work came up from a cellar that was being converted.

Gary_M
    Free Member

imilarly don’t cheap on the mixer either as having changed one last year I can say that there is a difference between them. ‘Grohe’ are nice

Normally I would agree that you get what you pay for but I wanted a cheap mixer to get by untill I redo the shower room completely. This was £70 from screwfix and it’s fantastic for the money – very simple but does the job very well.

leffeboy

Recommendations always rock, but he wanted a thermostatic unit I thought and getting a nice one of those is loads more expensive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How easy is it to fit a mixer shower?’ is closed to new replies.