Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • How easy could you buy a hand gun today?
  • zippykona

20 years ago I would have known someone who knew someone and I could have probably got one.

Drac

20 years ago I could have bought one legally.

DezB
    Free Member

Not. a . clue.
    Although I have a farmer friend who might lend me a shotgun. I doubt he would. (And yes, I know enough to know that isn’t a handgun)

sandwicheater

Wouldn’t even know where to start.

Assume any pub with a flat roof is a good starting point.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s gone now (handed in) but not so long ago I knew someone who had a WW1 or WW2 revolver and ammo.
    I also saw with my own eyes a WW2 grenade in someone’s garage. It had been there a long time, the bomb squad were called and it turned out to be deactivated.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Classifieds >>>>

makkag
    Free Member

how much are you willing to pay ?

Whilst i am an upstanding pillar of my community now , i grew up on a council estate and suspect with the right money and intentions it wouldnt take long . It being clean or untraceable is another matter – god knows what the flat roof pub Herberts do these days other than drink in the same pub with a flat roof !

ads678

Where I grew up in a not very nice area of Leicester, I knew of people who had guns or had access to guns and saw a couple of people carrying guns.

Nowadays, 25 years on, I wouldn’t have a clue or the inclination to find out how or where to get hold of one. Which is how I like it.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

is this a post where one can act all macho and hard and pretend they knew/know some bad arse folk from down the estate ?

yeah I knew someone that knew some one that knew some one that also knew some one that couldn’t get a gun

makkag
    Free Member

not really if i wanted to get my willy out to wave i would , i just dont think people in normal society realize that these things are actually not as difficult to obtain as they believe

footflaps

Just pop over the the US and walk into a local Decathlon and buy whatever you like. Dismantle and stick in hold luggage.

DezB
    Free Member

i grew up on a council estate

So did I. There was some dog shit about, but no guns as far as I know.

Torminalis
    Free Member

If I reeeeeallly needed a gun, I would just buy a 3d printer and fabricate one. Ammo might be a bit tougher but we could work something out.

scaled
    Free Member

I have no idea.

My neighbors nephew was inside for armed robbery a while back so I imagine that’s where i’d start.

Honestly though, I don’t think any of them would sell me anything, they don’t know me from Adam and I have an unfamiliar accent.

Speshpaul

there are many illegally held handguns in the uk. First off up the 60’s Army officers were expected to purchase their own service revolver, so were kept them when the left.
    Service men were encouraged to collect trophies in WW1 not so much in WW2 but it certainly went on.
    These guns just don’t evaporate.
    Parts of the EU are awash with guns, (think former soviet)looking at the problems with have with immigration, smuggling a hand gun in to the country would be to hard.
    So are they here yes, but can you buy one?

Northwind

Hmm. Maybe but even then I’d be more likely to get ripped off and probably more likely to get grassed or caught too. Odds of actually getting one, pretty slim, I’d have to be out of my mind to try it. Big difference between maybe and definitely, with something like that.

I could make a rudimentary one, the hardware’s simple… but no idea how to do powder. Now I have a terrible urge to find out, but that’s not a google search I especially want to do at work 😆 My brother’s a pyrotechnician, I guess I could adapt something. Odds of exploding self: high.

Pretty sure I could lay hands on a shotgun, not entirely sure there’d be shells with it. Or, I know where there’s a man-portable trebuchet.

mogrim

Don’t think it would be too hard here: https://www.a-alvarez.com/caza/armas_cortas-calibre_9_mm_y_superiores

Although I’m not sure if you need Spanish citizenship to get a gun, in which case I’d just have to persuade my wife we need on. Telling her it’s for killing the bloody swifts that crap on my car would probably do it.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you have the will you have the way.

… you need to have money too …

nedrapier

Just saw the url. Thread originally cerncerned a “hand-gunterday”. I’d have to look it up first.

Speshpaul

“Just pop over the the US and walk into a local Decathlon and buy whatever you like. Dismantle and stick in hold luggage.”

I know someone who did this with a BB/airsoft gun. WTF!!
    It was a licenced reproduction of a Mac9 sub machine gun. So its a all metal, gun coloured, working gun. Except it runs on compressed gas and fires plastic BB’s.
    It looks like a gun. now you can buy it in the uk, just the same. Its not illegal. But it was cheaper to it buy for about £45 less in the US.
    So why not check in for a flight with it in your bag.!!
    Looney

nedrapier

Didn’t do so well. I found a few Gunter-Days, plenty of Hans-Gunters…

clodhopper
    Free Member

“is this a post where one can act all macho and hard and pretend they knew/know some bad arse folk from down the estate ?”

I’d imagine it would probably be a lot easier to buy one from someone who already held legal firearms, as quite a number have illegal ones that they either have forgotten about or chosen to not declare. Personally, I’d only have to ask around a few middle class friends who have connections with the hunting types, if I really wanted a gun. I’ve certainly known such types who’ve held illegal firearms that everyone keeps quiet about.

philxx1975
    Free Member

rail guns

not covered under any uk legislation

stop messing with toy gun

willard

It’s a catch-22. To buy a gun, you need to go to a dodgy place to meet dodgy people whilst holding a large amount of cash. The ideal protection mechanism would be to have a gun on you, but for that, you’d need to go to a dodgy place to meet dodgy people whilst holding a lot of cash.

cokie

Not a clue.
    My best chances are to visit the closed down US WW2/Coldwar airbase in the woods and go digging. They left trucks and other bits to rot. Might be something lurking around. Probably need to get a metal detector.

LeeW

Used to be a member of a couple of re enactment groups when I was a student, there were a few types who may have been able to source something.

Laws were different then too, my parents used to own and shoot handguns when I was young.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Stealth wanted ad?

jimdubleyou

rail guns

not covered under any uk legislation

Not going to be troubling “handgun” territory anytime soon…

https://www.engadget.com/2015/10/19/3d-printed-handheld-railgun/

grey

I know people who know people so probably .
    Getting away with using it would be a different matter, as you’ve brought to many folk into the loop.
    Truthfully though i’d probably just make one , barrel and ammo is no problem and it’d be a single shot one with a moderator , so ok for assasinations 😯 .
    i may have thought about this a bit much 😯 😯 😆

CountZero

A bit like buying drugs, knowing the right person to approach without running the risk of waking up in a derelict building with severe contusions and covered in (your own) blood, and light a significant amount of money and all your personal possessions.
    If I really had a need for a firearm, I think I’d be trying somewhere with a pretty lax attitude to security, and historically unstable politically, like various former Soviet client states.
    Other than that, I honestly wouldn’t have clue one as to where to go.
    Certainly an medium-sized market town on the edge of the south Cotswolds isn’t exactly a hotbed of gun culture.
    A sawn-off shotgun with the stock cut down might be the nearest thing around here. 😀

avdave2

It’s gone now (handed in) but not so long ago I knew someone who had a WW1 or WW2 revolver and ammo.

I knew someone who had a .5 Browning and ammo. He used to dig up WWII aircraft and had recovered it still intact. As a kid he gave me a 20mm canon shell from a Spitfire and a couple of 7.62 rounds from a Stuka. I still have the canon shell but the bullets must have gone missing in a house move.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’d go to us, buy one, then dismantle and post back in bits to a hard to trace address.

Similar approach to buying a new santa cruz bike to be fair…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

7.92 in the Stuka 🙂

slowoldman

Bruges.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I was thinking this

7.92 in the Stuka

now that’s funny

Truthfully though i’d probably just make one , barrel and ammo is no problem and it’d be a single shot one with a moderator , so ok for assasinations .
    i may have thought about this a bit much

worrying

Onzadog
    Free Member

I once worked with a chap who is now serving life for carrying out a drugs related contract killing.

I actually make an effort to not move in those circles.

I’d imagine for people in those circles, very easy. If I personally wanted one, I imagine they wouldn’t give me the time of day. (or I’d be set up and end up with an empty wallet, a good kicking and no hand gun).

jon_n
    Free Member

If you know where to look you can buy them mail order from the darker parts of the internet. Everything from hand guns ($500) up to Barrett 50 cal’s ($6500) and the like. Handguns are shipped inside power tools, larger guns stripped and shipped inside computer cases. You can even get them locally shipped from within the UK if you are worried about it being stopped by customs.

user-removed
    Free Member

I know a few guys who have one, but they’re not the kind of people who’d be nice enough to lend it to me. So the answer to the OP is, “Not very easily”.

johnners
    Free Member

I see those handguns are under “Hunting” in that shop. Serious question, is there anything you’d legitimately hunt with a 9mm pistol?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You can still buy and hold black powder pistols (I think – you can certainly hold them) so something like a navy colt replica would be possible – but very difficult

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘How easy could you buy a hand gun today?’ is closed to new replies.