Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How does your Winter/Summer mileage compare?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How does your Summer mileage compare with the Winter?

Do you take a self enforced ‘off season’ so that you come back fresh and raring to go in the Spring or do you push on through the Winter knocking out the miles at the same rate so that you don’t lose all the fitness gains of the Summer months?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, depends if I get too depressed to ride my bike. Doing about 12 hours a week at the moment, that’ll probably drop a bit over winter, maybe 8 hours a week depending on weather. I reckon you can maintain fitness on less than 8 hours a week though

fasthaggis

40% less miles with 75% more effort needed to get out the door. 🙂

fingerbike
    Free Member

Using a Turbo count?

Feels like i’m doing about 10 miles summer, 2 miles Winter at the moment 🙁

andyparle
    Free Member

poorly…very very poorly. if that answers your question.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The mileage tends to be less but the hours riding pretty much the same. Slower base riding and all that. When there is heavy snow or when the temps drop below -15 then the weekly hours tend to drop a bit too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

More miles as every one is crying for days to pay for xmas so i get time off.

As oppose to i miised the whole summer ( except a month in france ;)) of mies Just running around africa

I like riding in winter though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Using a Turbo count?

Abso-bloody-lutely. I think turbo miles should count +10% as they are evil.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

About a third. Although that ignores the indoor stuff (either rollers, spin bikes etc) that i do in the winter but dont do in the summer…generally my training has a bit of focus over winter whereas in the summer i dont really train i just ride my bike and sometimes race it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Mines just getting up to around 150 miles per week (including turbo miles) but I’m thinking that I’ll struggle to maintain that throughout the Winter as cramming it in around other commitments is difficult enough now without the added issue of inhospitable weather.

I’m wondering if I might be better to drop down to a sort of maintenance mileage and then ramp back up in the Spring. The only thing that’s putting me off that idea is that I can see the first real progress in my fitness in maybe 5 or 6 years and i don’t want to let it go to waste.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How does your Winter/Summer mileage compare?’ is closed to new replies.