Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How does this happen in the 21st Century in the UK?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Crane collapses at A&P Falmouth

With all the current ISO systems, planned maintenance systems, inspection and certification requirements for lifting equipment, how is the machinery allow to degrade to the extent that it collapses? Or the procedures to be screwed up that it is allowed to lift a load in excess of it’s capacity?

I mean A&P will have a lucrative contract with the MoD and won’t be short of cash.

Absolute incompetence.

Hope no-one was hurt.

cokie

😯 I’ve stood under that crane a couple times.
    I’ve cycled past there for years in some pretty horrific weather and wind, wonder why it’s given up the ghost now when the weather is relatively tame.

legend
    Free Member

Woud’ve been embarassing if they’d dropped it on the new Oiler!

No indication that it was lifting anything. I’d bet it just went under it’s own weight like the one in Govan a few years ago. Also a good chance the crane isn’t used anymore, a lot of old dockside cranes are mothballed as it’s cheaper and easier just to call in a mobile whenever you need it. Also wouldn’t bet that A&P are making a fortune, although I don’t know their setup.

OTOH, yes it’s likely to have fallen over (literally and figuratively) due to a human’s involvement somewhere

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I work in Pharma in Quality assurance.

It happens brcause humans are either **** that take shortcuts to save money, are lazy and/or lie to cover up the smallest issue.

scuttler

Did you see that one drop in Dubai a couple of days back? OMFG! Don’t stand under any cranes people! Only ten people with minor injuries apparently which is astonishing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d75f9bnQ9eY[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

How does this happen in the 21st Century in the UK?

Poor technique?

If do right, no can defense.

nickewen
    Free Member

Bloody hell! That Dubai video is scary. Looks like the driver of the van at 25 seconds in spotted the boat and hoofed it!

Sandwich

That looks like the cables failed on the jib. The number of lifting supervisors that fail to change the cables in a timely fashion on cranes is truly frightening. Usually it’s ‘we’ll do it at the weekend when we aren’t busy’. Followed by ‘Oh it’s failed, what are we going to do’. Then ‘why are you prosecuting me?’

mark90
    Free Member

It’s a while since I’ve been to Dubai but the H&S there was pretty much non-existent for most manual jobs as the TCN’s working there were considered expendable.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Did you see that one drop in Dubai a couple of days back?

It’s a while since I’ve been to Dubai but the H&S there was pretty much non-existent for most manual jobs as the TCN’s working there were considered expendable.

While I don’t disagree with your comments regarding Dubai, a horrible racist place, hate it, the crane came down because a 350m container ship crashed into it.

Not like the Falmouth one that appears to have just collapsed.

tillydog
    Free Member

Not the incident in question, but it is a sorry tale:

Report on the investigation of the collapse of a crane on board the workboat Carol Anne resulting in one fatality Loch Spelve, Isle of Mull, Scotland 30 April 2015

pdf

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Because the maintenance was scheduled ‘drekly.

shermer75
    Free Member

I was looking at this the other day. It’s on Bishopsgate, London, which is one of the main roads in the City. Space is in such a premium there that they angled the base section so that the whole crane is hanging in space over the road. It’s quite a feat of engineering (if it doesn’t fall down! 🙂 )

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/heads-turn-at-bishopsgates-crooked-crane

CountZero

The tower crane that was perched on the top of The Shard during construction always looked bloody precarious, not to mention scary!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How does this happen in the 21st Century in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.