• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How does that work then – saint bashgaurd
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looks like the bash is bolted to the cranks???

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Interesting….

Any more pics, and where did you get that one from?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    Northwind

Raceface did something like that a while ago too- idea is that you’ll always have your feet level and usually have your leading foot forward when the bashring gets bashed, so why have it all the way round? Not so much chain retention benefit though.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Not very useful for those of us that swap between regular and goofy footed

ratherbeintobago

Think the idea is that you fit two of them if you lead with both feet.

Isn’t that how they’re normally attached?

raisinhat
    Free Member

You can buy another bit to put on the opposite side.

It makes sense, given that most riders only need bash protection on one bit of the chainring.

The guide should be doing all of the chain retention work anyway, not the bash.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Isn’t that how they’re normally attached?

A full bash is, the sectional ones (E-13) used to attach to the device so that it was always in the right place. The downside was that frame manufacturers were not going to accept warranty on ISCG mounts that had been damaged by these type of guards.

By the time I fit 2 of those I’d probably just fit a full bash.

Lifer
    Free Member

raisinhat – Member
    The guide should be doing all of the chain retention work anyway, not the bash.

😆

ratherbeintobago

By the time I fit 2 of those I’d probably just fit a full bash.

Aye, but two quarter bash guards will still weight less than a full one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Aye, but two quarter bash guards will still weight less than a full one.

more like 3/4 of a bash by the time you put the 4 bolts in.

I’m out

DrP

That’s not gonna stop my moleskins from getting oily though, is it……

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That just looks plain weak to me. A bashguard for people that don’t actually need one but want to look the part.
    What happens if (LIke anyone who’s been Jedi’d should be doing…) you have your inside foot UP in corners, for a start?
    Might as well have one whole ring for strength, becasue at least if this happens you’ve got something left…! 🙂

IMG_3281 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

cookeaa

1/4 bashes have been about on BMXes for a long time. For those that always grind with their pedals in the same position they make perfect sense. Not sure on an MTB where it’s more for random strikes, but stick on two on opposite sides and you’ve pretty much covered the two orientations that a full bash would need to and halved the weight…

But yeah a Taco makes a shade more sense really…

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

What happens if (LIke anyone who’s been Jedi’d should be doing…) you have your inside foot UP in corners, for a start?

How often do you need a bashring then? Especially on a single ring bike?

njee20
    Free Member

If your pedals aren’t level you’re gonna struggle to hit your chainring as opposed to your crank arm… This seems a good idea to me.

scaredypants

“bash”rings are for keeping the chain on – do you people ride over bumps or something ?

ratherbeintobago

If your pedals aren’t level you’re gonna struggle to hit your chainring as opposed to your crank arm… This seems a good idea to me.

Given that most people lead with one foot more often than the other, this makes sense to me too. Shimano will have done their homework (before anyone says it, yes, I do know they did biopace).

legend
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Your “down” crank arm is likely to get smashed long before the bash guard in that scenario. And not all corners have a pedal down.

Northwind

Right folks, experiment- look at your bash rings. You will either find

1) You have lots more scratches on one side than the other. You are target market 1 for this thing
    2) You have equal scratches on both sides. You probably aren’t the target market
    3) You have no scratches at all, but appreciate the chain retention. You definitely aren’t the target market
    and most people will fall into 4) You have no scratches, and use a bashring because you think it looks well hardcore. Decide for yourself whether or not this one is more or less hardcore than your existing one.

I’ll continue to use my chain-catcher on one bike, and all the 1x bikes will retain their integral steel chain bashring 😉

ratherbeintobago

Out of interest, how often do people drop the chain off the outside (such that a bash would help with chain retention?). When mine goes, it tends to fall off the inside – not sure I can ever remember it dropping off the big ring.

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Right folks, experiment- look at your bash rings. You will either find

1) You have lots more scratches on one side than the other. You are target market 1 for this thing
    2) You have equal scratches on both sides. You probably aren’t the target market
    3) You have no scratches at all, but appreciate the chain retention. You definitely aren’t the target market
    and most people will fall into 4) You have no scratches, and use a bashring because you think it looks well hardcore. Decide for yourself whether or not this one is more or less hardcore than your existing one.

I’ll continue to use my chain-catcher on one bike, and all the 1x bikes will retain their integral steel chain bashring

That’s all fine and well, but which bash-guard for Glentress Red?!?!

Northwind

A good strong one for falling off the logs.

Not that anybody actually rides up the logs, they ride the chicken runs on their 150mm superbikes while complaining that glentress is too easy 😉 So on that basis- one made out of gold-plated carbon fibre, with an Orange logo on one side and Hope on the other.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bmx grind disk from last decade surely ?

Ambrose

or 5) You use a bash guard to stop your leg getting minced by the chainring.

There was a pic of a girls leg that was properly mashed up a couple of years ago. IIRC she had just finished a ride in Les Gets? or Morzine, and had slipped on a grassy bank. The chainring had made a right nasty mess.

Northwind

That only really happens with an exposed chainring though… If the chain’s on the outermost ring, it won’t normally tear you up. And you’ll normally be in the middle ring when doing techy/risky stuff so doing away with the big ring achieves the same thing.

(and saves you weight, and gains you ground clearance, and most importantly looks more gnar)

kimbers

just checked my bashring has marks all the way round, biggest gouge is probably in the position of the saint one though

DrP

I use a bash to
    -get over logs and rocks
    -prevent the chainring digging into my leg/face

I can see why, if you run single ring, this will be fine.

DrP

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How does that work then – saint bashgaurd’ is closed to new replies.